Newbie router problem - pattern bit appears to be not long enough

So here's the problem. I'm building a router table and have purchased woodpeckers cast aluminum insert plate for it. They are even kind enough to sell me a template to cut the opening. The template is 3/4" MDF. I have a Freud FT2000 plunge router and am using a 5/8" diameter pattern bit with a 1/2" cutter length.

The problem is that with the router plunged (and locked) all the way down the bearing on the bit is just barely below the router base. With the 1/2" cutter length, this isn't going to do much great cutting when the router is sitting on top of the 3/4" MDF template.

Am I going about this wrong???? I'm a little dubious about adding a collet extension.

Thanks for reading. Jeff

Reply to
JJ

JJ wrote in news:1184791843.661971.81310 @m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

So get a longer pattern bit. Rockler sells them, as do others. I have one that works with my Freud FT2000e.

Must have been maybe $20. Who remembers, anyway?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Although it wouldn't hurt to buy a new template bit, I can think of one possible way to beat this one without buying a new bit.

Rout out as much as you can including the center waste. Remove the template and reference the bearing off of the cut you just made with the template. Now you will be able to cut in lower. Repeat until you are all the way through.

Do you own a planer? You could also plane the MDF template down to 1/2" or a smidge under.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Seems like you have 2 options.

1) Buy a longer pattern bit

2) Remake the template using 1/4" thick material.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Roy

A related question... How hard is MDF on planer blades?

I just got my first planer and had thought that things like MDF would be sort of blade abuse, but I've damn sure been wrong before.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Not sure. I have planed it before, but I don't recall any blade problems. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the blades. You can sharpen them in 10 minutes if you make one of my jigs! But if you make one you have to send me a check for 19.95 plus tax. :)