Newbie questions about tung oil, wood dye, etc.

Page 2 of 2

oil" aren't 100% tung oil -- nothing wrong with that but I want to go with 100% tung oil.
Okay, I purchased a random orbit sander and went over one side of one shelf with 60 grit followed by 100 and then 120 grit. This is already about as smooth as the other side of the shelf -- making me think that the room was originally sanded only to 150 grit. I've purchased 60, 100, 150, 240, 320, and 400 grit (and the sander came with one sheet of 120 grit). It will be interesting to see/feel the difference between the current finish and the 400 grit finish.
My next question, I'm getting lots of very fine dust in/on the wood. Is it okay to use water to get this off (after vacuuming) or do I use paint thinner as someone suggested? Is a tack cloth (which I'll buy tomorrow and have never seen) used last, or before the liquid?
Several posts have cautioned about the tack cloth useage as it COULD contaminate the surface interfering with finish adherence. Shellac, dewaxed, beyond shelf life has been suggested instead of off the shelf tack cloth. Lint less cloth dipped in old shellac stored in zip lock bag.
On 29 Nov 2005 19:10:04 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

So, if tackcloths are out and I don't want to make my own as you describe, what about wiping off the wood with mineral spirits or alcohol? Do these raise the grain and require light resanding after use as water does?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

yes, wet wood is ALMOST the same color as several coats of Tung. Not EXACT, but pretty close.
Dave
Get that piece of scrap and try different combinations of dye/stain and oil to see what you want is what you'll get. Once you get the right combination your in.