Newbie questions about compressor and finish nailer....

I'm new here, but I have a few questions that it seems you all may be able to answer for me.... I did a search and came across some basics, but I want to make sure.

I recently acquired a Porter Cable 6 gallon oilless "pancake" compressor with finish nailer, brad nailer and stapler for a large project; I've finished the project now - these tools are seriously wonderful, they saved me loads of time and hassles. I'll be using them off and on, probably pull the compressor out about once a month for working on the car or something, and use the nailers for a project maybe once or twice a year.

So, I'm wondering now about care and feeding - now that this project is done, I'll be an infrequent, low-volume user, so what should I pay attention to for storage? They'll be stored in a cool basement, not damp and up on shelves in their original boxes. I've drained the compressor, but should I leave the drain valve open or should I close it? And oiling the nailers; the instructions say 5-6 drops each use, but that seems like a lot - how much oil should I use for a dozen quick shots? Does it matter, and will the tools gum up if I use too much oil and then leave them on the shelf for a year?

Sorry if these questions seem basic, but I've not had any previous experience with pneumatic tools, and the instructions didn't address storage. I'd like these tools to last; any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Reply to
grruffbowwow

Those compressors are great for nail guns, blowing off work bench tops, and airing up your tires. Forget about using that sized compressor for impact wrenches, air ratchets, or any thing that a mechanic would use.

IMHO it would be best to leave a little pressure in the tank, 2 or 4 pounds if you are going to have it set up for an extended period of time.

And oiling the nailers; the instructions say 5-6 drops each use,

A couple of drops will be fine for a few shots. 5-6 drops for 1/2 day continuious use.

Does it matter, and will the tools gum up if I use too

Too much oil and they will pray your project with oil. Put a protectice cover over the inlet.

Reply to
Leon

Has anyone used the Porter-Cable pancake to run an airbrush like badger or pasche?

John Flatley Jacksonville, Florida

Reply to
John Flatley

Yep. Works a hell of a lot better than those microcompressors they sell for the purpose.

Reply to
CW

Thanks CW for the quick good news/bad news reply.

Good news: I don't have to buy another compressor.

Bad news: Airbrushing scroll saw work just got added to an already crowded list of projects. :-)

John Flatley Jacksonville, Florida

Reply to
John Flatley

Let it blow for a few minutes before closing it up. That will help dry the insides out. Make sure the petcock is at the lowest point to help condensed moisture run toward it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Thanks, all, for your replies. Sorry it took me so long, things are busy for me right now.

Reply to
grruffbowwow

If your storage period is for several months you might want to set the pressure regulator down to zero. This will take the tension off the diaphragm. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER