newbie question: thining stain

I have a can of stain that is turning to jelly. What is the recommended method to thin it out?
Tue, Jan 2, 2007, 7:08pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@unknown.com (gman) doth plaintively query: I have a can of stain that is turning to jelly. What is the recommended method to thin it out?
The back of the label doesn't say what to thin it with? Or doesn't have a 1-800 number to the manufacturer?
JOAT To listen is an effort, and just to hear is no merit. A duck hears also. - Igor Stravinsky
You're kidding, right?

"gman" wrote...

Sounds like the linseed oil in the stain has begun to polymerize. Best not to use it in that case.
Oil based stain applies easily because it's disolved in spirits or naphtha. The spirits evaporate, leaving the oil to auto-oxidize, forming a film that locks in the pigment.
Even if you thin the jelly you have with spirits, the oil is already polymerizing. You could end up with a film that doesn't adhere well to the wood, and could start to lift under the top coat. That would suck.
IMO, not worth risking a nice project just to try and save some old stain.
--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

I've used stain that had a thin layer on top, but the stain beneath was fine. I always thin stain with regular old paint thinner, about 1 part thinner to 4 parts stain...works good...just be sure to shake it up when you're done.
That's my experience.