Newbie question - one time project

Okay, I'm not a wood worker but I wanted to do a project out of wood. I'm building a custom bicycle and thought it would be really cool to have wood fenders.. So here is the finished result I want.........nice wood grain to show through the stain. I was thinking of a finish that I could see all the grain. Ideally I want the grain to run the length of the fender (not from left side to right, but rather front to back). It has to be formed to follow a diameter of 26". I want it thin but strong. It will be flat with no side wall or overhang. What is there out there that I can work with myself? Lots a patients and time (it's still -20*C outside and will not be riding said bicycle for two months or so) but not many wood working tools (although I could borrow or buy what is necc.). Lots of metal working tools and making forms and/or jigs is no problem. Any suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers Peter
P.S. I also have a nice wooden bicycle rim that I would like to refinish for display (not to use).How can I identify what type of wood it is?
Bent laminations are probably your best bet.
Top and bottom forms are made, the wood is cut in thin strips, glue is applied to mating surfaces, then they are place in the form and clamped.
Wood Bender's Handbook by Zachary Taylor should put you on the right track.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net