newbie question. . .

about table saw. I have a Delta 10" contractor saw with 30" UniFence, exact model escapes me just now. The arbor has a flange that sandwiches the blade. once fixed to the arbor and, of course, one removable. The situation is when I install a dado blade for 3/4" dado, I am left with less than a full nut on the arbor. I don't know how safe this is but the saw is spec'd for full dado. The question is can/should the dado blade be installed without the outside arbor flange? This would leave only the nut in contact with the blade and, in my opinion, less safe than a full nut. What is the solution? TIA
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
That is exactly what you're "meant" to do. I say that in quotes, because there is no other way to do it safely. Using the nut alone without the washer is perfectly fine. You need to get the nut at least several threads onto the arbor, and tighten it down sufficiently. The safety issue with using the washer and having the nut not seated properly is a LOT worse than not having the washer - which only serves to offer a bit of stability to the blade and doesn't keep the blade in place.
Mike
about table saw. I have a Delta 10" contractor saw with 30" UniFence, exact model escapes me just now. The arbor has a flange that sandwiches the blade. once fixed to the arbor and, of course, one removable. The situation is when I install a dado blade for 3/4" dado, I am left with less than a full nut on the arbor. I don't know how safe this is but the saw is spec'd for full dado. The question is can/should the dado blade be installed without the outside arbor flange? This would leave only the nut in contact with the blade and, in my opinion, less safe than a full nut. What is the solution? TIA
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you're uncomfortable with leaving the washer off, it might be time to consider a router, or cutting the dado in multiple passes on your saw.
If a process makes you nervous, don't do it. There are a lot of ways to cut rabbets & dados. Keep all you body parts as factory installed.
Patriarch
Thank you, , ,acceptable procedure is what i needed to know!
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
about table saw. I have a Delta 10" contractor saw with 30" UniFence, exact model escapes me just now. The arbor has a flange that sandwiches the blade. once fixed to the arbor and, of course, one removable. The situation is when I install a dado blade for 3/4" dado, I am left with less than a full nut on the arbor. I don't know how safe this is but the saw is spec'd for full dado. The question is can/should the dado blade be installed without the outside arbor flange? This would leave only the nut in contact with the blade and, in my opinion, less safe than a full nut. What is the solution? TIA
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
I use a router and dado bits when and where i can. There are times when the saw is a better solution. I now know how to do it safely. Thanks for your reply.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you're uncomfortable with leaving the washer off, it might be time to consider a router, or cutting the dado in multiple passes on your saw.
If a process makes you nervous, don't do it. There are a lot of ways to cut rabbets & dados. Keep all you body parts as factory installed.
Patriarch
To be accurate, you know one person's opinion on what you should/can do, based on your description of what you're trying to accomplish. Personally, I take anything I learn on the Net from anonymous strangers with a grain of salt, and try to use my common sense as well. I'd probably phone the Delta toll free number (from http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e ) with your model number and the size of the dado blade you're trying to set up, and see what they say.
BTW, I'm not trying to say Mike in Mystic is full of horse puckey, or questioning his advice. I'm just expressing my opinion on taking someone else's advise over your own gut instinct. It's one thing if you err on the side of caution, but you're going the other way.
Clint
--
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you're uncomfortable with leaving the washer off, it might be time to consider a router, or cutting the dado in multiple passes on your saw.
If a process makes you nervous, don't do it. There are a lot of ways to cut rabbets & dados. Keep all you body parts as factory installed.
Patriarch
Ive wondered the same thing with my Craftsman saw. "Seems" to be okay with just the nut.

That's pretty much standard at full thickness. The blades are pretty heavy in section, so they pretty much act as their own washer.

I looked it up yesterday evening in a engineering book: The Washers are needed if the stuff you use the nut on is "soft" and tends to set. If you have a high quality screw and nut adding a washer will *decrease* the strength of the joint.

Did you look up load distribution? Seems that's what's important here.

Been doin' it that way for years on mine - thought it was the thing to do - and it has worked!
Thanks.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ive wondered the same thing with my Craftsman saw. "Seems" to be okay with just the nut.
Thanks!
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
I've been forced to go without the washer for dado (first wobble, now stacked) too. Have fun, but be safe. Joe
SwampBug wrote:

interesting piece and I will look into it more but Amazon claims no longer available. . .at least thru them. Thanks.
-- SwampBug - - - - - - - - - - - -
Delta sells a "special" arbor nut set that has two arbor nuts. One is a "combo" washer and nut and the other is a single nut designed to be used with a dado set.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
It is an "excellent" upgrade for anybody with a Delta saw.