Newbie question

Nails. What nails are suitable for softwoods & why do my nails spilt the grain of Pine? How does one determine the correct size of nail for the job please? CJ
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:48:11 GMT, "Colin Jacobs"

It may be more of a question of how does one determine the correct method of joinery for the job. Try flattening the tips a bit, use smaller nails, predrill, or - my favorite - use cut nails.
JP
thats what I do.. blunt end nails seem to do less damage.
-- Log

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:48:11 GMT, "Colin Jacobs"

Nails can split any wood. No mention of the thickness of the stock, nor the application. One trick is to hold a nail up and tap the sharp end making it blunt. This will crush the wood fibers instead of wedging the grain apart. More time-consuming but I prefer to drill a pilot hole for both hard and softwoods.