Newbie needs tips!

I would like to replace a door with a wall (in the frame) to make one of the rooms in my house 100% independent. I've never tried anything related to carpentry (or woodworking) and have many questions that need answering.

Can anyone suggest a good book with step by step instructions?

Also, what are the best ways to save money on materials? (I have more home projects in mind).

Thanks!

Ron

Reply to
Ron in Houston TX

- Ron in Houston TX -

- Nehmo - You have to make sure it has a job, a car, a bank account, and a driver's license. You can't just put them out on the street unequipped!

- Ron in Houston TX -

- Nehmo - You'll find it rewarding. Do you have any tools at all yet?

- Ron in Houston TX -

- Nehmo - For the door, demolition it out, including the moldings. Then build the wall. Place a 2x4, called a plate, horizontally across the bottom and another across the top of the opening. Naturally, you'll have to measure and cut these pieces of wood. Don't worry about this operation too much; in this particular job, accuracy isn't critical because everything is going to be covered. Use screws and a screw gun, forget about nails. Now place three studs vertically between these plates, one on each side and one in the center. To secure the studs, the screws can be driven at an angle, toe-screwing (Here's an interesting pic on toe-nailing.

You won't be doing that, but it's an interesting pic :-) ) But if you don't feel comfortable toe-screwing, buy some small right-angle nailing brackets. Lots of examples on the Simpson site
you want to learn a little more about framing.
you have your framing in place, cover it with the same wall covering material that's already on the rest of the room, probably drywall. Somebody else can take you through that.

- Ron in Houston TX -

- Nehmo - This little project isn't going to cost much, so its economics aren't worth discussing. But I will make a caveat regarding materials: It's very important to get _straight_ studs. When you do the buying, sight along the long end of a piece of wood to check for warp.

[news:misc.invest.real-estate isn't relevant. I deleted it. And your subject line should be more specific.]
Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Umm... If you are going to remove the door and replace it with a wall to make the room 100% independent, HOW are you going to get into the room?

Reply to
Leon

That's easy. You build the wall *after* you go into the room.

Reply to
Roy Smith

The room has an independent entrance at the side of the house and it's very spacious so my plan is to turn it into a studio apartment (somehow) and rent it.

Reply to
Ron in Houston TX

Hey, he said he was new to this. I guessing he will then install a door in a different wall.

Reply to
Hymie

I C... We need "ALL" the details.... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

What part of Houston, I'm in the Sugarland area.

Reply to
Leon

Leon:

I'm in Northeast Houston (inside the loop). Are you a contractor? I really need help.

Do you know any honest contractors in the Houston area??

Thanks!

Reply to
Ron in Houston TX

No, I build custom furniture.

None in that part of town.

Reply to
Leon

Here's a tip avoid any advice Lyle B Peckerwood gives you and you will be ok.

Reply to
Trai' La Trash.

We'll be sure to avoid you advice...by what ever name you use.

Reply to
Leon

Ron - I missed your original post - are you trying to remove a door between two interior rooms and seal it up so it looks like the existing wall? If so, is it sheetrock? If so, it would be an easy fix with the exception of matching the base molding. Do you have a miter box or table, radial arm or miter saw? If not, I may know a contractor but I'll have to get his number for you.

Reply to
Tom

Tom:

looks like the existing wall?

Yes, it's a door between a big game room and the kitchen. My goal is to seal it up so it looks like the existing wall...

No, not inside the game room because the walls are dark brown and made of wood.

I have nothing, just a hammer and a few basic tools.

I'd appreciate that. Why do you think he is better than the average contractor?

Thanks in Advance!

Reply to
Ron in Houston TX

Responded via email.