Newbie - First tablesaw accident

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Edw> > The clearance should be at LEAST the hypotenuse of the triangle formed if

Duane Bozarth wrote:

or if you have a table saw with a small table, just take the fence off

Reply to
bridger

Or, get a larger saw would be my preferred choice... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The first shop that I ever worked in that had a tablesaw (I'm a machinist but in this shop I was making vacuum molds an router fixtures), had a rule about the table saw. When you are done, crank the blade down below the tabletop.

Reply to
CW

With most saws you can do crosscuts while standing on the same side of the blade as the switch.

Remove the fence or move it way back out of the way for crosscuts. Do not use both fence and miter gague for crosscuts.

After cutting, remove the workpiece from the table and use a push stick to push the cut-off off the table or at least away from the blade.

As others have mentioned, a cross-cut sled is much better for crosscutting than a miter gague.

Reply to
fredfighter

I wouldn't rely on switch position to determine anything, though most seem to be left of the blade for right-handers.

If your miter gage and what it's guiding the cross-cutting of can fit right of the blade, you may use the fence as a stop for repetitive cuts. This if the fence is not perfectly parallel, but clears a bit to the rear of the blade. Just remember, the fence is a touch gage, not what you use for guiding the piece through.

The standard for cuts made with operator and gage left of the blade is the touch gage block mounted on the fence, but not extending past the beginning of the blade area. Butt the squared end against, cut through, move the cutoff right then through and up.

NB - don't tell those people who say that angling the fence to give clearance past the cut invites disaster about the second method. It refutes their contention, and can lead to loss of self-esteem.

Reply to
George

My first saw was like that. Frustrating at times. When I got my Delta contractor model, it made cross cutting wide boards much easier than I ever imagined. If you are going to stick withy the hobby, start saving for the better, larger, saw.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I do that on the shopsmith on the rare times that I use it for a saw... in that case, it's crank the table up until the blade is below the table.. I mainly do it to protect the blade from me, not me from the blade, though..

Prevents me from laying something on the table "for a second" and dinging the blade with it and messing up the blade..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

The tablesaw didn't make the mistake. You did.Pay attention.

That said, no matter how focused you try to be, eventually your attention will wander.

Sometime ago I made a mistake that brought a finger into contact with the spinning blade. Hamburger, but not amputation. But only because it was a legthwise cut.

That is why I am going to make a suggestion that no one else did. I'm going to suggest that you keep a clean rag handy where you only need one hand to get to it. . On the day you need it, you'll know why. You'll also know why you haven't time to tear a sterile package open.

Try to avoid using the saw when there is no one else to drive for you.DAMHIKT.

Bill

Reply to
Obfuscated