Newbie Finishing Question

Hi guys,
I'm very new to woodworking, and I'm making a large framed mirror.
The woodworking part, per se, has gone well: The frame is 4" wide maple, about 48 inches tall and 21 inches wide.
Looks good. But I don't know how to finish it. I'm looking to get a very deep, brown (with some red). So deep that it is almost black.
I'm aiming for something along the lines of this colour:
http://www.structube.com/docs/Tables/TableAximaBrunFonceZoomA.htm
I went and bought a whole whack of sample-size stain pouches to try out. I also bought some surface sealer to (it claims) minimize the splotching. But the colour I get just isn't very dark.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.
Thanks!

Maybe the look you are going for is "ebonizing". Google found: http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/finishing.pl?readB1504
Paul.
That looks pretty black in the picture.
I have been making custom picture frames to complement photographs. I have had the best luck using an assortment of stains from Constantines (http://constantines.com /). For deep staining the alcohol based staind are particularly nice, because they penetrate the wood and deepen as you apply. You can mix colors and deepen or lighten the color as you go. For what you want a mixture of walnut and cherry or mahogony might work nicely. If you like a slight magenta cast add a touch of blue. I finish with several light coats of thinned polyurethane (oil based if is going to be exposed to water) or a so called "oil finish" which is usually dilute varnish in oil. Watco is such a product, but I like "Tried and True" from Woodcraft Supply.
I would highly recommend "Understanding Wood Finishing" by flexnter.
message

Spacecadet wrote:

Blotching is an issue with some wood species and not others. what wood is your project made from? The use of certain blotch-reducers will reduce the depth of color, so you might want to steer clear of their use if you want a deep color as in the link you provided.
Dave
Hi,
The frame is made from maple. I tried a bit of stain on a sample piece without the sealer, and it blotched a *little*.
If I'm going for a deep colour, and I am willing to let the stain sit for a while, will can I/should I skip the the sealer?
Thanks.
David wrote:

You should point your browswer to www.homesteadfinishing.com, and read their material.
And they are a good place to buy stuff you cannot easily find at your local seller of wooddorking stuff.
Patriarch, veteran of many finishing 'experiences'...