Newbie Compressor Question

I recently purchased a compressor for blowing out my sprinkler but now want to use it for my woorworking hobby. It is a 6HP 30 gallon Sears unit. I recently purchased an 18 gauge Harbor Freight Brad Nailer special for $25.00. The compressor also came with 2 wrenches and a chisel tool. My question regards oil for these tools. When using these tools, does the compressor need some sort of an oiler attachement? The Brad Nailer came with a little bottle of oil but I am not sure where to oil it. I looked in the instructions but did not see any instructions. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Glen

Reply to
GTANNENB

For pneumatic wrenches, some kind of in-line oiler is normally used. I bought one decades ago from Sears and I'm sure they are available any place pneumatic tools are sold. You won't need your pneumatic wrenches for your wood working hobby, unless you are being especially brutal. The oiler is attached via a short piece of hose to the tool. Mine came with a belt clip. DO NOT PUT IT PERMANENTLY IN YOUR AIR LINE. You don't want oil getting into your woodworking duties.

The brad gun can be oiled by putting 5 drops of pneumatic oil in the fitting where the air attaches to the tool. I add oil to my brad gun everytime I am about to do a round of nailing. If its just a few nails, I don't bother. I use my brad gun several times a week. You can get oil for the nailer at any store which sells brad and nail guns. Its frequently packaged under a nailer brand name such as Senco or Porter Cable.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

You can oil both the nailers and the wrenches at the tool end of the hose. However, the wrenchs, and chisels will need to be oiled more often. I ususally put a few drops in the nailer every time I hook it up and let it go at that. If the wrenches are getting continuous use, I stop every hour or so and 5-6 drops.

As far as oilers go, they are fine and save a little time. BUT don't install one at the compressor end. Keep it at the tool end or you will end up with an air hose full of oil that will be there forever and all over you wood projects. Some folks, who plumb air into their shops, put a dedicated outlet with oiler, filter, regulator just for air tools. This is overkill if you use the tools occasionally - Just put the oiler at the work end of the hose with a shorter hose or coil hose to the wrenches.

Reply to
RonB

Just put a few drops in right into the air inlet that the hose attaches to. If you are using the gun every day, do it about once a week. If you use it once a month, do it every time you use it. This goes for all air tools.

You can also get inline oilers and condensation catchers but probably more than you want to deal with for a small unit.

Reply to
Bill Wallace

Take the little bottle of oil and put in three or four drops every time you use it, or once daily if you are using it all day. that's it.

Mutt

Reply to
Mutt

For most air-tools, you simply put a couple of drops into the air inlet before attaching the air hose. Be careful around wood working though, since the oil is expelled out of the tool exhaust and might blemish your unfinished wood.

Reply to
Alan

It's sufficient to add a few drops of air tool oil to the air inlet fitting of the air tool each day that you use the tool. If you use the tool frequently, then several oilings per day is suggested. Be sure to use the correct oil to prevent internal rusting. Home Depot carries AMFLO 1220-1 air tool oil, 16oz size. It should last you many years.

David

GTANNENB wrote:

Reply to
David

I think for routine use of the wrenches or hammer, the advice you give for the nailer will work as well. For all day use, an inline nailer is a good deal with a power wrench. Changing all four tires on your car??? A little oil in the inlet will keep the outfit happy for as long as you're likely to need it.

bob g.

Bob wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway