Newbie Clamping Question

Page 1 of 2
I'm building a bed for the family feline. It's basically a box with a groove/dado cut around the inside perimeter about an inch from the bottom to accept a piece of plywood to serve as the actual sleep surface. All four sides of the box are angled outward 15 degrees from vertical, with miters at the corners.
I'm ready to glue it up, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to clamp it to hold the miters tight. I humbly request your collective advice, guidance, and assistance.
Thanx Jim
Dear Jim,
Screws and plugs...
Thanks,
David.
Wedge blocks made to the angle. See if you can locate the end trims. Put them in the appropriate places and clamp your returned-to-ninety box.
Hope that groove is at the proper angle. Makes it tough, otherwise - DAMHIKT.

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 09:57:55 -0500, "George"

Uhhhh, yeah, I discovered that little fly in the ointment when I tried a dry fit of the pieces. Ended up recutting the groove at the correct angle. It's not quite as neat as I had hoped, but I'm hoping the cat won't notice. :->
Spot of bright in the gloom - you'll _never_ do it again.

Ehvee8or wrote:

LOL! Cats are picky buggers. It will probably turn its nose up at you until you re-do it at the proper angle, and re-make the project out of solid walnut burl next time too.
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 02:45:02 -0500, Silvan

That, and they also tend to sleep where they darn well please. This project strikes me as an immense (well, not too immense) waste of effort, but SWMBO wanted it, so....
Ehvee8or wrote:

I understand completely.
Basically you will have to make some cauls that are the opposite of the angle that you are trying to glue.(to make it 90') I cant think of the word right now.

the complement angle is what i was thinking.

If you can live with small dents in the boards you could use spring miter clamps, like http://www.ulmia.de/English/Ulmia-Schreinerkluepfel_1.htm or http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid860&gift lse&0pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10000%26Tree%3D%2CDepartments&1pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1028%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D0%2CVises%20%26%20Clamps&2pt%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D4032%26menu%5Fid%3D%26Tree%3D1%2CCorner%20Clamps&Giftlse&mscssidB270E6FA8B41BA82DA108FDC88A368
These clamps are easy to use, great for picture frames and should work well also for your purpose.
Depending on how big and heavy, you might also try some masking tape for a low-tech approach. I'm making some little odd-angle mitered boxes and masking tape does a pretty good job.

You might try elastic bands, surgical tube, inner tube, bungee cords etc. or a Spanish windlass. Something you probably have on hand and will work as well as any fancy-assed thing you can buy. Mike
And if you do decide to go with some fancy-assed thing, something like a web clamp should do what you want.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page1160&category=1,43838,47843&abspage=1&ccurrency=1&SID

If your joints fit well, you can use masking tape. If you feel the need for more pressure, use bungee cords.

Use the masking tape to hold it in the proper place then get some of that clear plastic wrapping tape that they use for holding absolutely everything in the world together. They sell it at HD .
it is great for clamping odd shaped peice together Does not stick to the glue and you can pull as much pressure as you want.
Good Luck, George

Sometimes I'll use twine or light nylon rope to clamp up an irregular piece and use a tourniquet (6" stick) to tighten it up. It's amazing how well this technique works for cheap. A web clamp works too, but I often find myself fussing too much with those web clamps.
Phisherman wrote:

Duct tape works well. Tear off a strip a few inches longer than the total lengths of the pieces to be clamped, lay it adhesive side up. Lay the pieces along the tape. Apply glue, then roll up.

Clamping it is easy, it's often getting it into place that's tricky.
Try cutting two rectangles of plywood, exact fits for the top and bottom apertures. Once you've assembled it, use your favourite sort of string or tape to hold it in place. Latex rubber surgical tubing is a good self-gripping binder, so long as it's fresh (it fails in sunlight) and you don't leave it in a cold shed overnight (thermal cycles undo it).
I'm tooling up to make small compound tapered boxes (cremation caskets). A part of this is the clamping jig - two rectangles of MDF, spaced apart and wrapped with a strips of 3mm polythene foam. The foam is just enough "squish" to let me clamp tightly onto the glued mitres.
Tape, surgical tubing, rubber bands, strap clamps, jigs.
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods