Newbie - Attaching featherboards?

I'm so excited to finally have 220v for my unisaw - the first few cuts were just amazing. Very quickly did I realize I will need some featherboards. As easy as they are to make, attaching them to the saw's top and unifence is less obvious - I'd like to avoid having to use clamps every time.
I found the obvious T-tracks etc that could be attached to a sacrificial fence, or even the replacement unifence fence which has integral T-track all over.
I'd like to keep cost low however, and the challenge of making something is more fun than slapping (too much) money down. Has anyone made a mechanism that clamps inside the miter groove? And what about attaching to the unifence for downward pressure/guidance?
Regards, Pieter
"Pieter Ruiter" writes:
<snip>

SFWIW, the following has worked for me.
Build a sacrificial fence using two (2) pieces of 3/4", 13 ply Birch that is about 8" high, glued together which provides a 1/2" thick fence.
Why 1-1/2" thick?
Look at the Unifence calibration markings.
The space on the scale between the "inside" "outside" markings is 1-1/2".
Makes a no brainer out of setting the fence.
Installed a piece of 3/4" miter track about 5"-6" from the bottom edge of the sacrificial fence the full length of the fence.
Bought a couple of ready made feather boards complete with knob and 3'4" aluminum stock that slides in miter track.
At less than $5 apiece, it wasn't worth my time to make something.
Works for me.
YMMV
--
Lew

Pieter Ruiter wrote:

Here's one that fits in the miter slot http://www.woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM 1-407
As for downward pressure using the unifence, make a feather board and clamp it.
--
Gary

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:55:09 GMT, Pieter Ruiter

my table saw has t slots for the miter guage. I made a hardwood runner that engages the t slots and has a nut recessed into the bottom of it to recieve a knob above the table. the knob secures a dog that holds down a featherboard. works pretty well.
I did it this way because the point loading of a sliding nut made me nervous. prolly being anal, but it would suck to chip the t slot....     Bridger
I have a free plan for this on my site. Link below.
-- Bill Pounds http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop

exactly what I needed! Thanks a lot Bill. The slider design is where I was confused - but not anymore ;-))
Pieter