Newbe drilling question

Page 2 of 2
Swingman wrote:

    Em.. I had read that the 1 3/16 bit was for "European Style" cabinet door hingle holes. Evidently, from your post, 35mm is the size I would require (instead). Without a good use for the big bit, it is difficult to justify the set price. I'll look again. Thank you for your help.
Bill

On 11/28/10 4:49 PM, Bill wrote:

Makes those hinges a piece of cake to install, and I just measured by hand with a tape measure and a square for the offset and drilled them with a cordless.
Only hung about five doors with mine, just around my house, but two were eight feet tall, three hinges per door, went up flawlessly.

--
Froz...

Swingman wrote:

FC-107 includes 1-3/8" (35 mm) bit.
FC-107 is great set, just need to recognize it's limits.
Lew
On 11/28/2010 4:53 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

The 1 3/8 is just a tad oversize, IME, with just a bit too much play.
I prefer the metric version. YMMV ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/28/10 5:12 PM, Swing man wrote:

Does it matter once the two screws are in?
--

-MIKE-

On 11/28/2010 6:53 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Not when the screws are in, but it makes the alignment of the hinge cup plate _before_ the screw holes are drilled a good deal fussier, even when using a Vix bit.
Not a big deal when doing one or two, but on three dozen plus doors it slows the process down, inexcusable when a precise fit is as close as using the correct tool to start with.
The more you do, the more you appreciate the details .. and attention to detail _is_ the difference between mediocrity and supremacy.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/28/10 7:24 PM, Swingman wrote:

Ain't that the truth. I haven't done hundreds of those hinges, but I've done enough to notice the vast quality difference between them. Some appear to be stamped from recycled soda cans.
--

-MIKE-

..and get one with a stubby pilot nib. Many Forstner nibs are long enough to poke through the front of the door should you decide to sink a cup into a 5/8" thick door.

DAMHIKT
On 11/28/2010 5:20 PM, Robatoy wrote:

BTDT, eh?
Shheeeeesh ... what online corruption of grammatical and speeling! Beware, the grammer, police ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Bill" wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)90978981&sr=8-1 ------------------------------------- That set does not include a 7/8" bit, need to buy it as a loose item.
SFWIW, for sizes below 5/8", a brad point drill does a better job of clearing waste.
IMHO, a brad point drill bit set for smaller sizes is a high priority.
BTDT, have the T-Shirt.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Thank you. I'll look into getting a set of brad point drill bits.
Bill

On 11/28/2010 5:17 PM, Bill wrote:

Brad points are mandatory, but don't expect them to replace the smaller Forstners for all jobs. Drilling table top clips comes immediately to mind, where a 5/8" Forstner shines:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pagex6
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Reading about those was a nice little lesson itself.
Thanks, Bill