Newbe drilling question

------------------------ FC-107 includes 1-3/8" (35 mm) bit.

FC-107 is great set, just need to recognize it's limits.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The 1 3/8 is just a tad oversize, IME, with just a bit too much play.

I prefer the metric version. YMMV ...

Reply to
Swingman

..and get one with a stubby pilot nib. Many Forstner nibs are long enough to poke through the front of the door should you decide to sink a cup into a 5/8" thick door.

Reply to
Robatoy

> -------------------------------------

Thank you. I'll look into getting a set of brad point drill bits.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

DAMHIKT

Reply to
Robatoy

Brad points are mandatory, but don't expect them to replace the smaller Forstners for all jobs. Drilling table top clips comes immediately to mind, where a 5/8" Forstner shines:

Swingman

Does it matter once the two screws are in?

Reply to
-MIKE-

Not when the screws are in, but it makes the alignment of the hinge cup plate _before_ the screw holes are drilled a good deal fussier, even when using a Vix bit.

Not a big deal when doing one or two, but on three dozen plus doors it slows the process down, inexcusable when a precise fit is as close as using the correct tool to start with.

The more you do, the more you appreciate the details .. and attention to detail _is_ the difference between mediocrity and supremacy.

Reply to
Swingman

BTDT, eh?

Shheeeeesh ... what online corruption of grammatical and speeling! Beware, the grammer, police ...

Reply to
Swingman

Ain't that the truth. I haven't done hundreds of those hinges, but I've done enough to notice the vast quality difference between them. Some appear to be stamped from recycled soda cans.

Reply to
-MIKE-

No, I meant "proceeding to do some things wrong."

I get entangled in my own HoneyDo lists here, and I'm single.

IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, IANATC, I don't think.

I'll check it out.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OH, NO! There's a bow saw in there...

Don't get us started on THAT one again.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Exactly, and having figured out in advance everything that could go wrong means you are unprepared and thus open-minded when unforeseen things go wrong during the actual woodworking. This learning to recognize a mistake when we have made it again is the key to quality workmanship (which mostly consists of knowing how to hide mistakes).

Reply to
DGDevin

Thanks, Bill

Reply to