New Year's Resolutions

Page 1 of 2
To not cuss so much. (a perennial favorite). To lose about six thousand pounds, in unneeded machinery and tools. To fix the hold down on the Delta POS Benchtop Morticer. (4th year on the list). To finish the kitchen remodel. (3rd year on the list). To put a bath on the third floor. (12th year on the list). To bring in the freezable stuff from the shop to the basement before it's too late. (Yellow Gluecicles Again This Year - Dammit!). To not cuss so much. (sigh...). To rebuild the motor on the snowblower. (3d year on the list). To plug up all the carpenter bee holes before the shop falls down. (5th year on the list). To replace the rotted studs before the shop falls down. (3rd year on the list). To drain the air compressor at least weekly. (20th year on the list -ssssss). To go through the old finishes and solvents and take to the county disposal fair. (now at three and a half five gallon cans - and still growing. To actually use the barbell set that I bought three years ago. (3rd year on the list). To not stand downwind when emptying the dust collector bag into the trash can. (another perennial favorite). To throw away the one gallon container of leftover stain concoctions - because I'll prolly never want a stain of that particular shitty brown shade. To not cuss so much. To find something that actually prevents rust on the machine tables. (cf: The Quest For The Grail). To not killfile any more people - and then peek around anyway to see what they're up to. To dust off the shop lights, instead of just buying new ones. To find someone who can use the new chainsaw blade that's been hanging on the shop wall for ten years - ever since the chainsaw died. To not use the good chisels for remodeling work - again. To not sit cold drinks on the workbench in the summer, so there won't be so many rings in the wax finish -Keerist!. To not blaspheme. To find my good bench brush, or just break down and buy a new one. (3rd year on the list). To strip the crappy finish off my wood handled screwdrivers, and replace with shellac. (the set is twenty some years old - still haven't gotten around to it). To do more fishing and less painting and scraping this Spring. To empty out the five gallon bucket of nuts, bolts, etc. and put stuff back in the bins.
Well...it looks like another busy year ahead.
Happy New Year.
Regards, Tom.
My late-entry nominee for Wreck Post of the Year.
Bob

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Good luck and keep us tuned in to your progress.
You know, my statement above could be cut and pasted for replying to just about any statement.
Anywho, Happy New Years! SH
Mine:
1. Enable my own prosperity; 2. Finish the wherry; (http://www.merrywherry.com/merry.html ) 3. Spend more time working word and less time reading about working wood; 4. Hit 0.600 5. Keep all my digits intact;
Any more than five and they don't get done. Ask Tom.
I'm wishing a safe, rewarding and prosperous New Year for all you Wreckers.
-jbb
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:04:54 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"

Ooh, that's my #1, too.

Hey, that looks tres cool. A canoe rowboat. What do they cost to build? That might work here on the Rogue River...

Right, more shop time, DEFINITELY!

A very good idea.

<bseg>
Ditto. And one last shot of humor for the year follows:
Toilet Seat It isn't widely known, but the first toilet seat was invented by a Polish scientist in the 18th century. The invention was later modified by a Jewish inventor who put a hole in the seat.
Ten Commandments The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a Courthouse! You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery" and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians! It creates a hostile work environment.
Zero Gravity When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat this problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion developing a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside-down, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over300 C. The Russians used a pencil. Your taxes are due again--enjoy paying them.
Our Constitution "They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it's worked for over 200 years and hell, we're not using it anymore."
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
Larry Jaques wrote:

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Waiting to catch my carpool ride (a LONG time ago) outside the beltway, I found a space pen lying on the ground. It apparently had NOT fallen more than say 4-5 feet (lack of a crater). Only damage was a bent pocket clip that I more-or-less straightened out. The pen is heavy aluminum (I think) and is well machined. I use it occasionally, and it is one of the few pens I've ever had to NOT dry out after years in the desk drawer (here's the wood reference!). I haven't looked lately, but I think refills are still available.
And they said carpooling didn't pay!
Rick
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 10:52:36 -0500, Silvan

Just let go of logic and laugh for a change, Mr. Literal. Jokes aren't meant to be filtered through Snopes, dummy.
Congrats on getting SWMBO home alive.
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
Larry Jaques wrote:

Dummy? DUMMY? I'm not the one who tried to pass off a glaring urban legend type thing in the guise of a joke Monsieur Jacques.

Thanks. It feels pretty good as long as I don't look at what's going on under her shirt. Yerk.
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 01:44:01 -0500, Silvan

First, there's no "c" in mah name there. And second, if it's so glaring, why was it so hard to take as a joke?

I saw Dad the morning after his open heart surgery. It definitely had an impact on me.
"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
I spent several hours Saturday, cleaning and honing handplanes, so that they are neat, sharp and well-organized. This leads me to two resolutions:
1. Don't let them get into such sad shape again.
2. Stop buying every handplane of interest that comes along.
Patriarch, thinking that this is a year for chisels and gouges...
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:45:23 GMT, Patriarch

Excellent idea.

WHAT? You'd leave poor, innocent, orphaned planes out on the street where they'd rust and fall apart? What a meanie!

There ya go. I'm either going to buy that gas welding outfit and make a slick out of a piece of leaf spring this year or buy an old one. As a tool coll^H^H^H^Happreciator, I am drawn toward the former.
"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
calmly ranted:

Well, at that price, maybe I'd be willing to give them a home. It's those sweet, new beauties from Lie-Nielsen and Veritas, and the quasi-antiques from the esteemed Mr. Leach's Olde Handplane Emporium that have to be avoided, at least until the checkbook heals a bit.
Yeah, bring them on in. There's a couple of rusty, orphaned planes for them to hang out with still, anyways.
Oh, and I have to be _very_ careful, when considering the work of that crafty Portland maker of functional woodart, Steve Knight. He seems innocent, what with his 30% off sales. Isn't that how a pusher makes new addicts? ;-)
Patriarch

Wherry's were traditionally used to ferry people back and forth between ships at anchor and the docks. These have been adopted for open-water racing and water trekking. You can check kit prices out on the website. I got the "Wherry II" kit years ago; I'll vouch for the quality.
Usual disclaimer: no affiliation, satisfied customer.
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:39:19 -0800, Larry Jaques

Looks cool, the only problem is a 300lb weight capacity. I'd need a dingy if I wanted to take a lunch with me. Which leads to my one and only resolution:
1. Get more exercise.
Note that I don't say anything about dieting or losing weight - it is my hope that exercise will deal with the weight and I already know that a resolution to diet is a resolution broken. I've never made it past day 2 on any type of diet. But the doc wants me to lose "at least" 50 lbs, so I will be walking with a friend 3 days a week and doing upper body weights (ok, light weights) on the other days. With bad knees, back ankles, bad back and acid reflux I mostly just want to feel better.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Check out the "Wherry II". Its the one I'm building, even though I'll use it as a single instead of a double; capacity is 500 lbs.
Also, rowing is great exercise. It works the big muscles as well as lots of little ones you don't know you've got. Even good for abs, &tc.
-jbb
calmly ranted:

stuff, but just use their recipes, and exercise plan...you'll be a new man.
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 02:15:16 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"

I saw that one. I was even tempted by it until I noticed the price. I used to row a lot as a kid and even tried to get accepted at a college that had a crew so that I could row there. Haven't handled a pair of oars in probably 20+ years.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

TRUST ME!!!!! they dont work the same way as you recall!!! lol....
skeez

*Nothing* works the same way as it did 20 years ago.
KnowwhatImean?
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com