New Year's Resolutions

To not cuss so much. (a perennial favorite). To lose about six thousand pounds, in unneeded machinery and tools. To fix the hold down on the Delta POS Benchtop Morticer. (4th year on the list). To finish the kitchen remodel. (3rd year on the list). To put a bath on the third floor. (12th year on the list). To bring in the freezable stuff from the shop to the basement before it's too late. (Yellow Gluecicles Again This Year - Dammit!). To not cuss so much. (sigh...). To rebuild the motor on the snowblower. (3d year on the list). To plug up all the carpenter bee holes before the shop falls down. (5th year on the list). To replace the rotted studs before the shop falls down. (3rd year on the list). To drain the air compressor at least weekly. (20th year on the list

-ssssss). To go through the old finishes and solvents and take to the county disposal fair. (now at three and a half five gallon cans - and still growing. To actually use the barbell set that I bought three years ago. (3rd year on the list). To not stand downwind when emptying the dust collector bag into the trash can. (another perennial favorite). To throw away the one gallon container of leftover stain concoctions - because I'll prolly never want a stain of that particular shitty brown shade. To not cuss so much. To find something that actually prevents rust on the machine tables. (cf: The Quest For The Grail). To not killfile any more people - and then peek around anyway to see what they're up to. To dust off the shop lights, instead of just buying new ones. To find someone who can use the new chainsaw blade that's been hanging on the shop wall for ten years - ever since the chainsaw died. To not use the good chisels for remodeling work - again. To not sit cold drinks on the workbench in the summer, so there won't be so many rings in the wax finish -Keerist!. To not blaspheme. To find my good bench brush, or just break down and buy a new one. (3rd year on the list). To strip the crappy finish off my wood handled screwdrivers, and replace with shellac. (the set is twenty some years old - still haven't gotten around to it). To do more fishing and less painting and scraping this Spring. To empty out the five gallon bucket of nuts, bolts, etc. and put stuff back in the bins.

Well...it looks like another busy year ahead.

Happy New Year.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

My late-entry nominee for Wreck Post of the Year.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Good luck and keep us tuned in to your progress.

You know, my statement above could be cut and pasted for replying to just about any statement.

Anywho, Happy New Years! SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Mine:

  1. Enable my own prosperity;
  2. Finish the wherry;
    Spend more time working word and less time reading about working wood;
  3. Hit 0.600
  4. Keep all my digits intact;

Any more than five and they don't get done. Ask Tom.

I'm wishing a safe, rewarding and prosperous New Year for all you Wreckers.

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:04:54 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt" calmly ranted:

Ooh, that's my #1, too.

to build? That might work here on the Rogue River...

Right, more shop time, DEFINITELY!

A very good idea.

Ditto. And one last shot of humor for the year follows:

Toilet Seat It isn't widely known, but the first toilet seat was invented by a Polish scientist in the 18th century. The invention was later modified by a Jewish inventor who put a hole in the seat.

Ten Commandments The real reason that we can't have the Ten Commandments in a Courthouse! You cannot post "Thou Shalt Not Steal," "Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery" and "Thou Shall Not Lie" in a building full of lawyers, judges and politicians! It creates a hostile work environment.

Zero Gravity When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat this problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion developing a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside-down, on almost any surface including glass and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over300 C. The Russians used a pencil. Your taxes are due again--enjoy paying them.

Our Constitution "They keep talking about drafting a Constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of really smart guys, it's worked for over 200 years and hell, we're not using it anymore."

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Silvan

Wherry's were traditionally used to ferry people back and forth between ships at anchor and the docks. These have been adopted for open-water racing and water trekking. You can check kit prices out on the website. I got the "Wherry II" kit years ago; I'll vouch for the quality.

Usual disclaimer: no affiliation, satisfied customer.

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

To measure 6 times, and hopefully cut once...

The last was a DVD addon for my entertainment center. It had to be

46.5" outside height... I measured that sucker 3 times... It ended up being 46.5" INSIDE height... sigh.
Reply to
larrybud2002

found a space pen lying on the ground. It apparently had NOT fallen more than say 4-5 feet (lack of a crater). Only damage was a bent pocket clip that I more-or-less straightened out. The pen is heavy aluminum (I think) and is well machined. I use it occasionally, and it is one of the few pens I've ever had to NOT dry out after years in the desk drawer (here's the wood reference!). I haven't looked lately, but I think refills are still available.

And they said carpooling didn't pay!

Rick

Reply to
Rick

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 10:52:36 -0500, Silvan calmly ranted:

Jokes aren't meant to be filtered through Snopes, dummy.

Congrats on getting SWMBO home alive.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Looks cool, the only problem is a 300lb weight capacity. I'd need a dingy if I wanted to take a lunch with me. Which leads to my one and only resolution:

  1. Get more exercise.

Note that I don't say anything about dieting or losing weight - it is my hope that exercise will deal with the weight and I already know that a resolution to diet is a resolution broken. I've never made it past day 2 on any type of diet. But the doc wants me to lose "at least" 50 lbs, so I will be walking with a friend 3 days a week and doing upper body weights (ok, light weights) on the other days. With bad knees, back ankles, bad back and acid reflux I mostly just want to feel better.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Check out the "Wherry II". Its the one I'm building, even though I'll use it as a single instead of a double; capacity is 500 lbs.

Also, rowing is great exercise. It works the big muscles as well as lots of little ones you don't know you've got. Even good for abs, &tc.

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

stuff, but just use their recipes, and exercise plan...you'll be a new man.

Reply to
mark

My number 1 resolution is to stop procrastinating. I'm going to start in a couple of weeks.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I saw that one. I was even tempted by it until I noticed the price. I used to row a lot as a kid and even tried to get accepted at a college that had a crew so that I could row there. Haven't handled a pair of oars in probably 20+ years.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Fri, Dec 31, 2004, 12:45pm snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com (Tom=A0Watson) puts out a bunch of impossible to achieve resolutions:

To get some of the sacrifices you guys owe the Woodworking Gods. And, don't even think about telling me the sacrifice is in the e-mail, we've heard that one before.

Other than that, just to basically enjoy life, and appreciate what I've got.

JOAT People without "things" are just intelligent animals.

Reply to
J T
  1. I am going to stop making resolutions.
  2. I am going to stop using the word f*ck in this newsgroup.
  3. I am going to keep all 12 of my talented fingers.
  4. As hard as it may be, I will strive to be more humble.
  5. I resolve to not buy any more toys unless I really need or want it and I can afford it or not.

Well now. That's five in just a few minutes and I didn't have to resort to banning snowshoes in July. :-)

damn, I'm good jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Dummy? DUMMY? I'm not the one who tried to pass off a glaring urban legend type thing in the guise of a joke Monsieur Jacques.

Thanks. It feels pretty good as long as I don't look at what's going on under her shirt. Yerk.

Reply to
Silvan

Good luck. I'm walking my ass off with SWMBO incapacitated, and I'm not eating much. I've gained 15 pounds.

Reply to
Silvan

I had all the same problems 6 years ago while working a very high stress, 7x24 IT position. I took up cycling and some upper body free weights. Stick with you program, and you'll be amazed at how many ills will be cured drug free. My acid reflux quickly disappeared with exercise, after little results with drug therapy. It became apparent to me that many prescription drugs simply mask symptoms, exercise and weight loss cure the root problem.

I started using the bike for errands around town, so I got exercise even when I wasn't "exercising". The same can be said for walking. 80 pounds later, I feel great!

Good luck, stay with it, and keep us up to date! Some of us exercise zealots can be worse than ex-smokers, so if you need encouragement, ,email me directly.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y