new yankee workshop and drill press spindle sander

Those are generally for hand drills, which reverse. Not for drill presses. The JT taper would probably be too heavy for a hand drill. A threaded chuck is less accurate than a tapered chuck. But on a hand drill it does not matter much.

Like everything else, there are different levels of quality. I have a Jacobs chuck that came on a delta drill press, and it has jaws that are not correctly ground. So they make a drill bit wobble. Jacobs makes different levels of quality. Today, they have slipped heavily in quality. I have 2 machinist friends that will only use an old Jacobs, not a new one, and they both prefer the Albrecht (German chuck). I have both old, and new Jacobs. The new are quite inferior. I have 2 Chinese chucks that beat out the new Jacobs chuck. That's not good for the US. Our quality is slipping where we should still rule. I'll blame the bean counters, but it could be other factors. The price of a Jacobs is more ( you are paying for US made goods), but the quality is quite poor for the price.

Reply to
woodchucker
[snip]

Are you saying the later Albrecht chucks are not as good as the older ones. I have an Albrecht from ca 1985. It's the cat's ass.

Reply to
gray_wolf

No, the albrecht have always been fantastic, but the Jacobs, are not up to the competition any longer. I don't know where you get that I was even saying that the Albrects were not as good as the older ones. I just re-read my statement, and it's pretty clear that I was talking about Jacobs.

Reply to
woodchucker

Sorry about that. Thanks for setting me straight. At 76 I sometimes I misunderstand. Re-reading your comment makes it all clear now. IIRC some of the older consumer grade Jacobs weren't all that good either. Like on cheap drills and such.

I found out early on that spending a bit more on quality tools can save you a lifetime of aggravation.

Reply to
gray_wolf

.

And 30 years old. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Yikes! >$600 for a woodworking drill press chuck seems a bit excessive, though.

Reply to
krw

I payed about $120 for my Albrecht 1/32-1/2" J2 back in 85. Inflation takes it's toll. I did buy mine for metal work. I've seen some going for ~ $335 lately so look around. It maybe overkill for most wood workers.

Reply to
gray_wolf