new yankee workshop and drill press spindle sander

Page 3 of 3
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 12:46:08 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net wrote:

but spammers but there are several I just ignore.
On 12/7/2015 7:09 PM, krw wrote:

BUT,, I know that this has been hashed out for years on end but if you think about the bearings on a DP they are side loaded to receive power.
The top bearing at the pulley gets considerable side force and the bottom gets some but less.

I can't help but wonder what kinds of side forces a forstner bit would produce if you're drilling a half-hole in the edge of a piece of wood...
On 12/9/2015 2:15 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

I think still pretty much almost straight up,

I mean, consider this image:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519Z837W61L._SY300_.jpg
with an asymmetrical cut like that, there's got to be some side pressure generated too.
On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 15:59:45 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

I've got one slightly shortened thumb that will testify to that :-).

Better example would perhaps be a circle cutter, altho even there I think the forces would be much smaller and shorter duration than a sanding drum.
John