new yankee workshop and drill press spindle sander

Page 2 of 3
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 22:55:49 -0800

mine has a morse taper #2 or #3 i think no woblly going on at all
this was a rescued drill press that had been abandoned and was quite rusted it is excellent now
but it is a machine and machines must be put to use i drill with it but with a sanding spindle it becomes even a more useful machine

I have a Rockwell/Delta radial drill press, circa 1970. The manual discusses using it as a router and as a drum sander. Since I have those specific machines I use the drill press for drilling only.
Steve

A radial drill press is kind of a different animal - they are usually much more stoutly constructed than a regular drill press.
Myself, I have a small benchtop drill press from way back when I first started getting tools, which is now reserved for drum sanding. The bigger press is just for drills.
John
On 12/9/2015 3:02 PM, John McCoy wrote:

I had one, a Rockwell 32" radial DP from the late 70's, really not built any stronger except at the arm extension and pivot point which have nothing to do with bearings.

I am beginning to think that there may not be much more pressure on a drum sander attachment than the load of the belts. And FWIW the up and down pressure from drilling really does not affect any bearings. That load is carried by the rack and pinion that moves the quill up and down.
On 12/9/2015 4:02 PM, John McCoy wrote:

never thought they were any different except the way they are mounted.
--
Jeff

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 09:04:32 -0800, Electric Comet

No, it's really not.

It is a big deal. You're just asking for runout problems. Drill presses are not made for lateral force. They're not milling machines.

krw wrote:

How about those oscillating sanders? Are they just "disposable", or are they designed to handle the lateral force?
Bill
On 12/8/2015 10:29 PM, Bill wrote:

They are designed to handle the forces. Is is a matter of using the correct bearing for the intended purpose.
Leon wrote:

Thanks!
On 12/9/2015 12:06 AM, Leon wrote:

You'd think someone would make a spindle sander attachment for a drill press that had a bottom bearing in in a fixed base that could be clamped to the table. Could be handy for someone with a small shop, low budget, occasional use.
On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 11:42:02 -0500

hear mention of an oscillating attachment for a drill press but have not sene one
i wonder if it has something like that
anyway the forces for light sanding are insignificant
a drill press is made for handling lateral forces

I had one[*], but the stationary OSS worked much better, particularly for dust collection.
[*] Delta - for a 17" floor drill press.

I presume you have the data to back this up?

No, a drill press is made to drill holes.

Do you care about runout on a drum sander? I certainly do on a DP.
On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 22:39:18 -0500

how long did it last before you had problems on yours

i will report back with my findings too
On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 09:02:20 -0800, Electric Comet

I'm not as stupid as some. I learn from the mistakes of others.

Your drill press. Have at it.

On Wed, 09 Dec 2015 21:12:18 -0500

do tell what you learned always interesting to hear about trial and tribulations
On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 19:31:43 -0800, Electric Comet

It's clear that you're incapable of learning from others because you can't even read.
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 20:29:35 -0500

haha funny and ironic
honestly the problem is comprehending jibberish like yours
get your meds dosage checked you may need more or less or get off them or get a stronger one
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 19:59:14 -0800, Electric Comet

No, you're not funny, at all. "Sad" is a better description.

Says the illiterate who doesn't know what punctuation is for. We all know you don't know how to write but now we all know that you can't read, either.

You're the one who needs a checkup from the neck up.

I have him filtered - isn't he just background noise? I can't remember a single post of his that had added anything useful to the group before I filtered him. I still see a lot of his posts because many reply to him, and I still haven't seen anything of any import from him on any subject, on topic or not - am I missing something?
Jerry O.