New Yankee Workshop

I caught the show about his new workshop hutch. As he was going through the items on the old hutch, he mentioned that he only stocks 5 or 6 different woodscrews. Anybody know what sizes he would keep?
Thanks...

I don't "know" what sizes he'd have, but I can guess...
...#6 x 3/4 and 1"
...#8 x 1" and 1 1/4
...#10 x 1 3/4" and 2 1/2"
I likely would not hold myself to 6 sizes...and in fact, I don't...but if I had to, these are likely to be the sizes that I'd keep around then just buy the ones that I need for a project. Or design/redesign the project to use the screws that I have, if possible.
Mike
I changed your list a bit to what I keep:

Never saw the need for anything else yet.
The Davenport's wrote:

I also keep some #4 brass plated at 3/8" to 1/2" for smallish hinges in smallish wood. I also have some deck screws and the like.     screw,     jo4hn

if I

buy
use
What kind of woodworkers are you? To qualify as bonafide woodworkers, you're required to have on hand several of those 64 drawer sorting bins as well as having a bucket of unsorted nuts, screws and bolts.
I'm calling up the 'Woodworkers master list' society and having your names removed.
:)

Not me!
99% of my hardware is in (2) 12" x 16" x 2" Durham Mfg. metal "suitcase" boxes with plastic interiors.
Did I mention I got them for $3/ea. at Durham's warehouse? <G>

And a bunch of wimps too.
Nobody mentioned Lag Bolts (lag screws) for those BIG jobs!!

I am strictly a Tapcon kinda fella. (Hilti & Remington RULE too!!!)

Those aren't buckets of unsorted fasteners - they're gravity clamps. You can never have too many clamps.

Don't have them remove mine, unfortunately I'm exactly as you describe, much to my dismay as I'm trying to find that piece of hardware I know I have.
The success rate at finding that thing you know you have and avoiding a trip to the hardware store is about one time in ten around here.
Frank
*snip*

For screws, I keep 4 sizes in larger quantities: 1 1/4", 2", 2.5" 3.0" For other hardware, it's usually what I needed for the last project. I've got a bunch of 5/16" carriage bolts left over (and I'm still finding uses for them), and several 1/2" lag bolts, for example.
When it comes to bolts and things, if I need more than 10 or so I'll look in to buying a package of 25 or 50. One hardware store would give a couple cent per piece discount if you bought a box.
I suspect this is fairly standard procedure for woodworkers, though...
Puckdropper
Bob Alexander wrote:

I didn't think he used anything but brads...
Woodie wrote:

LOL !
--

dadiOH

Ohmigod, am I going to have to add another category?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Stop pretending you didn't already know what hardware Norm keeps on hand.
You can fool some folks, but _WE_ know you!

Yeah, I think LRod's been sand bagging. LOL