New Yankee Wishshop

I hear what you're saying, but a biscuit joiner? Please.

Reply to
Michael

Sure, drown my little pun with your horrible tale! I hope the paint was expensive, at least. Very expensive.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Reply to
Thomas Adams

And while you're at it, throw away that remote control. Getting up out of the Barcalounger and turning the channel changing knob on the old 17" black & white Muntz TV was the way they did it in the good ole days and therefore is the only acceptible way to do it now.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Reply to
Doug Brown

I think that when it starts to bother you that he pulls his full-auto brad nailer and painting antique wood, you've outgrown Norm. As soon as you're saying "that's just WRONG!" every episode, you know you've moved on to bigger and better things.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Balderdash! :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

No wonder my spell checker couldn't deal with it. :)

Reply to
CW

Why not? Works. I use one myself.

Reply to
CW

"Michael" wrote in news:6fe3g.1284$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com:

WTF is the problem with a biscuit joiner? Really good for aligning glue ups, attaching face frames, building carcases etc. I use nail guns for decks, sheds etc. I don't use them for cabinet work except for a pin nailer that is great for attaching molding etc. Power tools can save time and in many cases be more accurate. Try felling a tree, limbing it, sawing it into lumber, sizing the lumber, planing the lumber, hand forging or forming any needed hardware and constructing a piece of furniture or trimming out a staircase, wainscoating etc. using only handtools. Would you be an artist, craftsman or carpenter? Did you ever restore furniture? It's interesting to see the type of hardware that was used to trim out and secure furniture from the nineteenth century (a lot of nails and screws. Does a nail care if it is hammered or driven? Does a screw care if it is turned by a hand or powered driver?). A craftsman is a craftsman and an artist is an artist. Call an artist a craftsman and see what happens (they'll think you're a twit). Call a craftman an artist and some of them will glow; true craftsmen will think you're easy to impress. Norm is a carpenter (I'm a carpenter that makes a living at it) that builds furniture and stuff, for money, on a TV show. Wish I could do that. I like to build funiture and stuff and every once in awhile a member of the unknowing will call me an artist (a bullshit artist I will own up to. I was once a bullshit craftsman, but I've advanced since then). I would prefer to be called a craftsman or a good carpenter. I consider myself just a woodworker. The old ways worked, but woodworkers (and every other craft) looked for easier more efficient methods and tools. It's called progress. Don't knock Norm, knock Bruce (he can't use hand or power tools). Regards, Hank (had a few Ottercreek ESBs)

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

"Doug Brown" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

"CW" wrote in

Wow! Thanks for that. Most of us didn't know that. Is that anything like a tincture of opium?

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Very well stated! Hear, Hear !!

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

A round of applause...

Reply to
jo4hn

I'm not saying you shouldn't use power tools. But how often do you see a highly skilled cabinet maker pull out the nail gun or the biscuit joiner?

I like Norm and I learn a lot watching him. Be he does things that makes you wonder . . .

Reply to
Michael

Ive seen a show or 2 that David marks used biscuits

Reply to
joedog90045

And a nail gun. Same model (although somewhat older) as Norm.

Reply to
LRod

Also seem him use a nail gun.

Reply to
CW

All the time.

Reply to
CW

Well there ya go biscuits and air nailers jeesh ... D Marks obviously is not a highly skilled cabinet maker :)

Reply to
joedog90045

He's an Arrrteast! ;~) The stuff I heard him talk about and demo at a show last fall seemed to take him completely out of the cabinet maker or carpenter categories... gilding and bent laminations.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin