New Yankee Wishshop

WTF is the problem with a biscuit joiner? Really good for aligning glue ups, attaching face frames, building carcases etc. I use nail guns for decks, sheds etc. I don't use them for cabinet work except for a pin nailer that is great for attaching molding etc. Power tools can save time and in many cases be more accurate. Try felling a tree, limbing it, sawing it into lumber, sizing the lumber, planing the lumber, hand forging or forming any needed hardware and constructing a piece of furniture or trimming out a staircase, wainscoating etc. using only handtools. Would you be an artist, craftsman or carpenter? Did you ever restore furniture? It's interesting to see the type of hardware that was used to trim out and secure furniture from the nineteenth century (a lot of nails and screws. Does a nail care if it is hammered or driven? Does a screw care if it is turned by a hand or powered driver?). A craftsman is a craftsman and an artist is an artist. Call an artist a craftsman and see what happens (they'll think you're a twit). Call a craftman an artist and some of them will glow; true craftsmen will think you're easy to impress. Norm is a carpenter (I'm a carpenter that makes a living at it) that builds furniture and stuff, for money, on a TV show. Wish I could do that. I like to build funiture and stuff and every once in awhile a member of the unknowing will call me an artist (a bullshit artist I will own up to. I was once a bullshit craftsman, but I've advanced since then). I would prefer to be called a craftsman or a good carpenter. I consider myself just a woodworker. The old ways worked, but woodworkers (and every other craft) looked for easier more efficient methods and tools. It's called progress. Don't knock Norm, knock Bruce (he can't use hand or power tools). Regards, Hank (had a few Ottercreek ESBs)

Very well stated! Hear, Hear !!
Lowell Holmes wrote:

A round of applause...

I'm not saying you shouldn't use power tools. But how often do you see a highly skilled cabinet maker pull out the nail gun or the biscuit joiner?
I like Norm and I learn a lot watching him. Be he does things that makes you wonder . . .
Ive seen a show or 2 that David marks used biscuits
On 26 Apr 2006 13:36:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

And a nail gun. Same model (although somewhat older) as Norm.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Also seem him use a nail gun.

CW wrote:

Well there ya go biscuits and air nailers jeesh ... D Marks obviously is not a highly skilled cabinet maker :)

He's an Arrrteast! ;~) The stuff I heard him talk about and demo at a show last fall seemed to take him completely out of the cabinet maker or carpenter categories... gilding and bent laminations.
John
Yep Agreed I think he mastered the cabinet maker deal a long time ago
He does have a formal art education.

show

Marks is one of/or the best cabinetmakers I've seen. I don't necessarily like his style, but his craftsmanship is something else. I bet Norm would love David's 'Aircraft Carrier' jointer or David's multi-router (I would). Hank
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

C'mon he is, I'm not. Hank

All the time.

How many highly skilled cabinet makers do you know? I know several. They use many of the tools that Norm uses. I'm not sure what 'highly skilled means' or what an artist truly is. I am very wary of anybody that refers to themselves as "Artists". I am lowly skilled, but I recognize when a biscuit joiner or pin nailer is the best way to go. Hank
Michael wrote:

I would have counted Danny Proulx as highly skilled. <G>
A time and a place...
Henry St.Pierre wrote:

I'm still amazed Bruce still has all of his appendages.

I know that ESB... Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, E-S-Beeeeeeeeeeeeeee... <G>
You saw a rerun. We went through this a few weeks ago.

looked
wife

Yeah, you think he'd have done it different this time around!
:)