New Yankee Wishshop

Page 2 of 4

Oleg Lego wrote:

What is this "channel knob" you speak of?
On 24/04/2006 1:44 PM, B A R R Y wrote:

Isn't that the person that gets outta the chair to change the channel?
B A R R Y wrote:

I think he meant channel KNOB - probably a woodworking channel.

From what I have hear, is is some sort of a mechanical analog device in which rotation results in changing electrical characteristics. At least, that's what they said. In reality, I think it has some belts and pullies inside that are strapped to a tiny fairy or gremlin, sort of like an old medieval torture rack. When the knob pulls them the wrong way, they have a remote control they can use to change the channel for you. I think the older remotes had very limited range, and wouldn't work over the usual couch-->TV distances in most homes, so they put it in the hands of the fairy/gremlin and forced them to do it. I think the method is contrary to most current labour laws.

I know,he does that. And my wife also has had similar responses to Norm painting or covering up some beautiful piece of wood.
Norm is an old timer carpenter. No matter how hard he tries, he will never make the transition into a real wood \worker. He probably feels guilty working in a shop full of "donated" tools. He compensates by obliterating the natural beauty of most of his projects.

And pray tell, what is a real wood\worker?
The dictionary gives the following.
woodworker
n : makes things out of wood [syn: woodsman, woodman]
I believe Norm fits that description.

Yes, but he's not a true craftsman. The true craftsman is actually an artist.
As an amateur woodworker, I like the easy project I can get done in a weekend and so I like to watch Norm. But that's not the attitude of people who work at a very high level.
Norm has the show 1) because his kind of work appeals to a fairly large audience that can aspire to his skill level and 2) he is a television personality.
If you create a show displaying the a master craftsman, even an interesting personality, I doubt even PBS would pick it up because of a lack of viewership.

I was privileged to attend the conference on making 18th century furniture at Williamsburg. The Headly brothers are true craftsmen. The furniture makers at Homestead Heritage are true craftsmen. There are others.
Norm is limited by the premise of his show. Occasionally a snippet of skill shows through that indicates there is a side of him that is not displayed. I think a lot of the protesters in this newsgroup that complain about Norm miss these subtle things that show occasionally.
It doesn't really matter, but it's just my 2 cents worth. OBTW, I consider myself to be an old duffer, but that doesn't mean I'm not a woodworker. :-)
On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:55:34 GMT, "Michael"

But Norm never pretended to be a craftsman or an artist. His show appeals to the weekend handyman with a power tool fetish. People who want to produce art would watch David Marks or the like, that's not Norm's schtick.
The only thing I hate about NYW is watching Norm butcher antique wood that cannot be replaced. If he's just going to paint it or whatever, why not use wood that's easy to come by and give the antique, high-quality wood to someone who is going to make good use of it?
My point exactly!

That's what I said. But even so, it unnerves even us amateurs when he pulls out the nail gun or, heaven help us, the biscuit joiner.
Yep, things should be made the old way. Junk your car, buy a Stanly Steamer. Trow out you stereo tuner. Built yourself a crystal set. These are from a time when things were built right. None of that modern crap. BTW, if you have any surgery planed, make sure to find a doctor that dopes you up on lognum first. Those modern anesthetics are crap. Make sure that he doesn't sterilize his instruments, wear a mask or use rubber gloves. All that stuff is more of that modern crap they just started doing to lower the quality. Don't forget to specify large needles and cat gut.

I hear what you're saying, but a biscuit joiner? Please.
Why not? Works. I use one myself.

Steamer.
doesn't
stuff
quality.
<<Yep, things should be made the old way. Junk your car, buy a Stanly Steamer. Trow out you stereo tuner. Built yourself a crystal set. These are from a time when things were built right. None of that modern crap. BTW, if you have any surgery planed, make sure to find a doctor that dopes you up on lognum first. Those modern anesthetics are crap. Make sure that he doesn't sterilize his instruments, wear a mask or use rubber gloves. All that stuff is more of that modern crap they just started doing to lower the quality. Don't forget to specify large needles and cat gut.>>
And while you're at it, throw away that remote control. Getting up out of the Barcalounger and turning the channel changing knob on the old 17" black & white Muntz TV was the way they did it in the good ole days and therefore is the only acceptible way to do it now.
Lee

While I agree with your sentiments I felt I should point out it is not lognum but rather laudanum. See here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laudanum

No wonder my spell checker couldn't deal with it. :)

Wow! Thanks for that. Most of us didn't know that. Is that anything like a tincture of opium?
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 00:41:38 GMT, "Michael"

I think that when it starts to bother you that he pulls his full-auto brad nailer and painting antique wood, you've outgrown Norm. As soon as you're saying "that's just WRONG!" every episode, you know you've moved on to bigger and better things.

Balderdash! :-)