New Yankee Wishshop

Page 1 of 4

Just saw Norm make a table from reclaimed white oak. Really gorgeous wood. It had been part of a dam that had been submerged for many years in the Rappahannock River in Virginia. The wood was a dark silvery color and looked fantastic. Norm made a real nice table of it, then STAINED the wood. My wife even screamed. Does he smoke crack?
Rich
You obtain wood and work it into a table, chair or cabinet and put many hours of planning and labor into it. Who decides what if any finish you choose? Wax, stain, bare wood, Poly, shellac, laquer or paint?
Please think about it. Isn't the owner, builder, designer or constructor of the project have the right to choose how they desire to finish it?

Yes. And I have the right to disagree. I'm pretty sure Rich wasn't suggesting jail time for Norm. At least he didn't paint it.
todd

Or at least wood finish counseling.

Sure they do. But it is sad to see nice wood voered up by fake products. Would you paint an ebony chair or box?
I probably would not paint an Ebony chair or box. On the other hand one of the finest pieces I ever produced was a Walnut and (carved)Teak cabinet had Mahogany elements added to both sides. Before I glued up the elements I reconsidered the natural Mahogany and covered it with gold leaf before gluing. It turned this "really fine" project into a "super" project.
wrote in message

Frank Arthur wrote:

And if you had gold-leafed the entire cabinet, that "super" project would have become an "ugly" project. That's what Norm did...and I'll defend his right to do whatever the hell he wants with the stuff he makes. ;)
The part that got me was his mention of the color variation between different reclaimed wood pieces - "I'll have to fix that during finishing". I was hoping for him to break out the transtints and start listing the steps for color matching with toners. Then he paints it. Oy.
Seems to me that that wood was not to his liking in any case. If he had just been given this project, he probably would have chosen something different. Not his choice, I'd bet.

I remember years ago reading a "home improvement" help column in a newspaper. Someone had written in asking how to paint some teak furniture they had. The columnist spent way too many column-inches talking about sanding, removing natural oils, the type of paint to choose, etc.
If it was my column, I would have quickly answered "no, you can't paint teak. Sell it to someone and use it to by some cheap furniture you CAN paint."
As the saying goes, it's all a matter of taste. Some people have it. Some people don't.
D Smith wrote:
The columnist spent way too many column-inches talking about

Must've been under a lot of pressure.
er
--
email not valid

was shocked and awed at the owners den. It was all oak panels and the painter went to great lengths to pop the grain and stain it wonderfully. To give you an idea how exclusive an area, the servants quarters above the five car garage was over 2700 sq. ft. Anyway, the owner walks through checking out things and stops in the den. He looks perplexed. He calls the painter over and we all expect the painter to be congratulated on his wonderfull work. No. The owner says that he hates these squigly lines in the panels and to paint it black. We were all in shock. As was stated before, some have taste and some don't.
--
Tom Adams

Thomas Adams wrote:

Sure, drown my little pun with your horrible tale! I hope the paint was expensive, at least. Very expensive.
er
--
email not valid

I am just finishing, completing, a set of kitchen cabinets made out of some real nice quartersawn oak, some of it almost looks quilted. The first thing my wife said after I got the boards run through the planer was "can we sand out those saw marks?" I had to explain to her that those weren't saw marks they were the natural grain pattern of the wood.
The next thing she wanted to do was paint the damn thing white. Well the "saw" marks are still there and the finish is clear, three coats of high gloss, and now that the cabinets are complete she is quite happy with them not being white. But I have had to really work to chang her perspective and appreciation of wood in this process.
Of course since no good deed ever goes unpunished, she wants everything built with quartersawn oak. Luckily I have a supply that is relatively inexpensive, but that's another story. ;-)
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Some Amish would. Natural wood paneling and trim is considered to be 'proud'.
Intersestingly, I've read that the ancient Greeks painted their statuary. Evidently one reason for using marble was that paint adhered well to it.
--

FF

Yup, his right to finish it how he wants. Mine to say he ruined it too.

I dont watch Norm but ask did the stain bring out the grain more than if he used say a Tung Oil product. Why would woodworkers be bothered by stain from someone that carriers a nail gun in his holster.
The Frank Arthur entity posted thusly:

Yes, and the watcher has the right to apply a twisting motion to the channel knob. I don't watch him any more. I think he's a hack.
Oleg Lego wrote:

You have to get out of your chair to change the channel?! You must be one of them fitness freaks. ;)
I was wondering wher he got a TV with a channel knob.