New Yankee Wishshop

Just saw Norm make a table from reclaimed white oak. Really gorgeous wood. It had been part of a dam that had been submerged for many years in the Rappahannock River in Virginia. The wood was a dark silvery color and looked fantastic. Norm made a real nice table of it, then STAINED the wood. My wife even screamed. Does he smoke crack?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

You obtain wood and work it into a table, chair or cabinet and put many hours of planning and labor into it. Who decides what if any finish you choose? Wax, stain, bare wood, Poly, shellac, laquer or paint?

Please think about it. Isn't the owner, builder, designer or constructor of the project have the right to choose how they desire to finish it?

Reply to
Frank Arthur

Yes. And I have the right to disagree. I'm pretty sure Rich wasn't suggesting jail time for Norm. At least he didn't paint it.

todd

Reply to
todd

Sure they do. But it is sad to see nice wood voered up by fake products. Would you paint an ebony chair or box?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I know,he does that. And my wife also has had similar responses to Norm painting or covering up some beautiful piece of wood.

Norm is an old timer carpenter. No matter how hard he tries, he will never make the transition into a real wood \worker. He probably feels guilty working in a shop full of "donated" tools. He compensates by obliterating the natural beauty of most of his projects.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Maybe some kinda forced intervention??

Or at least wood finish counseling.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I probably would not paint an Ebony chair or box. On the other hand one of the finest pieces I ever produced was a Walnut and (carved)Teak cabinet had Mahogany elements added to both sides. Before I glued up the elements I reconsidered the natural Mahogany and covered it with gold leaf before gluing. It turned this "really fine" project into a "super" project.

Reply to
Frank Arthur

You saw a rerun. We went through this a few weeks ago.

Reply to
CW

And if you had gold-leafed the entire cabinet, that "super" project would have become an "ugly" project. That's what Norm did...and I'll defend his right to do whatever the hell he wants with the stuff he makes. ;)

The part that got me was his mention of the color variation between different reclaimed wood pieces - "I'll have to fix that during finishing". I was hoping for him to break out the transtints and start listing the steps for color matching with toners. Then he paints it. Oy.

RicodJour

Yeah, you think he'd have done it different this time around!

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

:)

Reply to
CW

Yeah, Norm seems to stain everything. I perfer a lot more natural finishes like oil which does darke the wood a little.

MBR

Reply to
gadgetman

And pray tell, what is a real wood\worker?

The dictionary gives the following.

woodworker

n : makes things out of wood [syn: woodsman, woodman]

I believe Norm fits that description.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I remarked on this the first time around. Unless my TV's color is adjusted a whole lot differently than everyone else's that wood was butt ugly blue/black to start with. Staining, or painting, was actually an improvement, but it was still butt ugly.

Reply to
LRod

I agree!

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

So do I. As I posted earlier, I got the impression that Norm agreed also.

Reply to
CW

Looked that way to me too.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Yup, his right to finish it how he wants. Mine to say he ruined it too.

Reply to
Rich

I dont watch Norm but ask did the stain bring out the grain more than if he used say a Tung Oil product. Why would woodworkers be bothered by stain from someone that carriers a nail gun in his holster.

Reply to
henry