New Workbench Book - Needs Editor

For those of you beginning to think about finally making your own real, honest to god, tailored exactly to your woodworking needs, there's a new book to add to the Sam Allen and Scott Landis list on the subject.

The Workbench : A Complete Guide to Creating Your Perfect Bench by Lon Schleining (Hardcover) $23.77 US at Amazon.

Spent half an hour sitting on the floor at Barnes and Noble going through it. Plenty of great full color photos of all manner of workbenches.

Unfortunately, Frank Klausz's really nice workbench isn't in the book - deduct a full point from the score. Checking the index I saw James Krenov's name and turned to the page to see his bench. Alas, his name only appears in the text, along with Tage Frid and Frank Klausz - all in just one sentence about Northern European benches.

Tage Frid from Denmark James Krenov of Hungary (?!?) and Frank Klausz originally from - Siberia?

EDITOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deduct to additional points from the score.

But, if you're going to build a bench, this one's worth perusing and possibly buying. I'd get Scott Landis's book first though.

charlie b

ps - Mr. Schleining, if you're out there, please proof the galleys BEFORE another OOPS like this happens again.

Reply to
charlie b

Siberia.., Serbia..., what...? Hey, we're 'Muricans. All we know or care is those places are somewhere not here.

On a similar note, I'd been contacted by August Home for some info on the earliest Unisaw for an article they were putting together. Of course I did the full bore (some say boar) dance on the Unisaw being first introduced in 1939 and not 1937 as Delta says (Delta is wrong). The magazine article went to publication and yes dear friends they had it as 1937.

sigh...

Later I spoke with another editor there (a friend) and he pretty much confirmed that the writer in charge was told

1939 but for some reason went ahead anyway with the Delta (wrong) date.

I realize this Unisaw date thing isn't that significant in the grand scheme of things (1). I mean, it's not like they got the year the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor all wrong.

1952, right?

(1) What really chaps my keister is that Delta, a big ass ConGlomCo, can't even/doesn't care to get it's own history correct when a wee wispy guy like me can. Maybe Black & Decker will whip them into submission.

sigh...

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

They don't call them "B+D" fer nuthin', right? No, I mean, right?

Reply to
Tom Watson

No, we care that they're from different somewheres - they brought different bench-making styles with them.

I'm just surprised anyone commissioned another high-end workbench book. Was there any need for it ? OTOH, I suppose the people who buy _one_ high-end workbench book are pretty likely to buy a second anyway.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Do you have a website about Delta Unisaws?

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 13:47:42 +0100, Andy Dingley calmly ranted:

Yes, surprising. A second book will be sought ONLY if it covers entirely new material and other important (to woodworking) people's benches.

Reply to
Larry Jaques
[snip]
[snip]
Reply to
Never Enough Money

Delta is doing it because they have a booklet first copyrighted in 1937. The trouble is the second printing in

1940 shows the Unisaw. Delta, or at least the people at Delta can't quite get that second edition means late.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Oh yes I forgot, "Purple" me. Whatever that means...

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

I'm not sure if this was addressed to me but in case it was, the answer is no.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100