New woodworking tool gloat

Page 2 of 3

Lee Michaels (in QY2dnUaXx4zhhQHenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com) said:
| Congrats Morris. | | I have a couple commercial versions of this already. And they are | too short and are hard to hold down when using. Make sure this is | wide enough to cut stock that is at least a foot wide.
My thoughts exactly. This one is a full foot wide and the saw fence is a foot long with screw holes so that it can be extended to whatever length is needed. I don't think I'd want to use it with an extension for precise crosscutting of stock wider than about two feet.
It does a really good job as is with stock up to a foot wide. The "extra" fence length is on the end where the cut starts (as opposed to where the cut finishes) to make it easiest to get the saw lined up right before starting the cut.
The only commercial version I've seen that provides for precision cut placement is a fairly recent lightweight plastic square that can be calibrated - but not re-calibrated after a blade change. I'm just too cheap to buy a new square every time I change blades.
βœ–
That's great, Morris. I hope you it's a big seller and you get your fair share. To often you hear of inventors getting very little to show for their ideas. Best of luck ! Lenny

βœ–
Lenny (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| That's great, Morris. I hope you it's a big seller and you get your | fair share. To often you hear of inventors getting very little to | show for their ideas. | Best of luck !
Thanks! I don't expect to make much (but wouldn't mind if I did!) Actually, there are a lot of really good ideas bouncing around; but the costs, time requirements, and risks involved in getting from idea to sold product are significant. I think it's much more difficult to find the people who can do that than it is to come up with the original idea. For most of us, it's pretty much a "chicken and egg" problem.
And there's the old problem that the technically-oriented people who come up with solutions frequently don't have really good sales and marketing talents (that'd be me.)
βœ–
Actually, most of us just figured you were cheap. LMAO Good on ya Morris. You were in the right place, at the right time - that's hard to do. It'll make you more famous, and rich, than most of us - Hell, you might even wind up being a hundredaire. Now I just hope the guy isn't gonna outsource 'em to Mexico, or China.
JOAT A rolling stone gathers no moss...unless it's a hobby he does on the weekends.
Add pictures here
βœ–
J T (in snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3331.bay.webtv.net) said:
| Now I | just hope the guy isn't gonna outsource 'em to Mexico, or China.
I don't think that's going to happen. Plans are to have 'em laser cut right here in Iowa. I was asked to set up the part programming to mill a promotional batch out of 6061 aluminum using the 'Bot in my shop. That prospect makes me a little nervous because I've never (intentionally) used the machine to cut metal before.
His other product, the Saw-Jaw, is made just down the road from me at the same facility that made the molded plastic parts for my Kreg Jig. My guess is that production will stay in Iowa.
βœ–

Good on you! Your CNC will be able to make a lot of parts for this gizmo, eh?
"Gizmo Square. The only corners we cut are square ones."
You will remember us little people, won't you?
<G>
Congrats, Morris, you deserve it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Robatoy (in snipped-for-privacy@news.bellglobal.com) said:
| || The gloat part: It'll be labeled "Made in USA". | | Good on you! Your CNC will be able to make a lot of parts for this | gizmo, eh?
Only the first batch and only maybe. I've provided CAD files that should allow going directly to laser cutting. Wow! Would you believe that that the laser kerf is only 0.01" to 0.005" (depending on the laser) in 16 ga. aluminum? I want a laser head for my 'Bot!
| You will remember us little people, won't you?
I can't even remember where I put my glasses - but you're still welcome to drop in for a cup of coffee and as much "show and tell" as you can stand. :-)
| Congrats, Morris, you deserve it.
Not sure that 'deserve' has much to do with anything but I appreciate your good wishes.
βœ–

Very Cool Morris. I wish you Good luck. Show him the Router Dado Jig next time. LOL
Add pictures here
βœ–
Leon (in ZCWmf.38450$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com) said:
> [...]
It's pretty hard to miss - hanging on the wall next to my table saw. I restrained myself only because I've been waiting for you to come up with a version that allows using bits without pilot bearings.
He's one of the few people that immediately picked up on the cut placement aspect (the only thing that makes it different from squares already in use) and the ability to RE-calibrate to maintain cut location accuracy whenever saw or blade is changed.
βœ–
said:

LOL. The first version did not use pilot bearings. It used a guide bushing. The problem there was that it used a guide bushing that seldom is centered accurately enough to insure a straight cut line.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I wish you all success. Keep the ideas coming! Dave

Add pictures here
βœ–
TeamCasa (in 1134321236 snipped-for-privacy@spool6-east.superfeed.net) said:
| I wish you all success. Keep the ideas coming!
Thank you. I'm hoping that by sharing the experience I'll encourage other people with ideas to find their way to making woodworking more affordable, easier, and more satisfying for all.
Finding new ways of doing things more easily, less expensively, or that produce consistantly better results is (and should be!) a source of pleasure and satisfaction. Taking that discovery to market seems unnecessarily stressful and uncertain - mostly because it involves traveling in strange (and possibly hazardous) territory. Perhaps sharing some of my "baby steps" here on the wreck will make the territory less strange, and the process less stressful - and provide others with the confidence to say: "If /he/ can do it, then so can I."
Kind of like cutting dovetails that first time. :-)
βœ–
Morris Dovey wrote:

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Think you will find this one in Fred Bingham's book, "Practical yacht Joinery".
I made mine years ago.
BTW, glad to see you got a deal.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
Lew Hodgett (in 8K_mf.1863$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net) said: | The more things change, the more they stay the same. | | Think you will find this one in Fred Bingham's book, "Practical | yacht Joinery".
It's somewhat a relief to hear that. The idea seems too simple and straightforward to have been overlooked for long. I spent a lot of time looking for this thing as an off-the-shelf product; but had no success.
| I made mine years ago.
My first was an all-wood version that couldn't be re-calibrated, built when I had my RAS in the basement of my first house and was putting up knotty pine board paneling in a room on the second floor back in '72 or '73. I didn't get around to a metal version that could be recalibrated until almost ten years later. I had a machine shop make steel, brass, and aluminum versions and decided that I liked the aluminum best.
You can see one of these original aluminum squares at the link below. All things considered, it's held up fairly well.
| BTW, glad to see you got a deal.
Thanks. :-)
http://www.iedu.com/ssq/ssq_photo2.jpg (large file)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Now how in hell did Nahm the Jigmeister miss this one! :)
FoggyTown
Add pictures here
βœ–

Great to hear someone gets something for their work. Hope it makes a good return for you

With so much going overseas to be manufactured, that is a gloat. Congrats Chuck

Add pictures here
βœ–
CC (in Af0nf.266283$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net) said:
| With so much going overseas to be manufactured, that is a gloat. | Congrats
Thanks.
βœ–

Congrats. Why not put a couple of slots in the metal lip (the one that goes under your hand), and attach it to the wooden board with wing nuts on countersunk bolts? Then you could recalibrate with ease any time and every time.

- Owen -
Add pictures here
βœ–
Owen Lawrence (in snipped-for-privacy@quag.dido.ca) said:
| Congrats. Why not put a couple of slots in the metal lip (the one | that goes under your hand), and attach it to the wooden board with | wing nuts on countersunk bolts? Then you could recalibrate with | ease any time and every time.
Thanks.
I'd given this idea some thought. I like the wing nut idea but that makes replacement of the wooden rail a PIA (requires accurate rail drilling plus countersinking plus machine screw and wing nut) that I'd rather avoid. With the current setup, all it takes is three screws and a strip of inexpensive 1x1 to minimize part costs, have easy field maintainance, and reliable accuracy.
βœ–
Sure, now you come up with a common-sense way to get this simple task done *after* I go out and buy a left sided blade saw!!! Thanks for nothin'!
Good luck with a nice idea!
Add pictures here
βœ–