New woodworking magazine

Went to the local Woodcraft store yesterday and along with my purchase, received a complimentary copy of a new magazine they are publishing. It's called "Woodcraft" -- the initial issue is 96 pages. I would compare it to wood, looked at the subscription price and seven issues would be $29.97 -- a 46% discount off the newsstand price of $7.99 -- a bit rich for me. Several how to articles including a high tech story on how to turn bottle stoppers.

It has been out for some time now. Other than the name, I don't think there is much affiliation with the stores. I've not seen it so cannot comment on the quality of the publication. Like everything else in life, there is a limit to what I'm willing to pay for a given item. I'd sign up right away for $12, think about if to $15 to $18, pass on it at $25 and up. IMO, they would have done much better building a base of subscribers by sending an initial free copy to existing WC customers and have a cheap introductory offer. If going for full freight up front works, good for them.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

It's a pretty good magazine and, if Woodcraft doesn't cheap out, it will get better. A.J. is a good editor, with loads of experience and skill.
It most definitely is affiliated with the corporation, though. The person who is listed as publisher is VP of Marketing for Woodcraft, and several of the articles each month are written by WCS product managers. That is counterbalanced by articles from woodworkers like Doug Stowe, though.
There was one in the box with the Kreg bandsaw fence that I ordered last week. It arrived today. I haven't had time to look at the mag yet.
--Steve
Herb Robinson wrote:

I think they are giving free copies because subscriptions are not taking off. I also got a free copy last week and another last month.
I've read both and did not see anything that is different, new or exciting from Wood, AW, FWW, ShopNotes, etc... to justify a subscription price that high.

I haven't seen the magaine on the rack yet but I'm wondering if its the same one or an off-shoot of Weekend Woodcrafts that was around in the 90's.

So, what should I surmise when Lie-Nielsen includes a copy of Popular Woodworking when they ship an order?
Sampling is an acceptable method of getting new potential readers. Too bad Tom L-N hasn't asked me to sample a low-angle smoother...
Patriarch

When the magazines start sending out samples of the Tools, I'll be subscribing again!
On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 04:13:28 GMT, Lobby Dosser

LOL! I like the way you think. :-)

You need to sign up as a lifetime member of Handyman Club of America. They send out lots of tools all the time. You can be on their test panel.

LOL!
I think I have all their tools. And duplicates of the drill bit thingy.