New woodworking magazine

I know there was an earlier thread on this but I don't want to retreive 77,000 threads to get there sooooo.
The magazine is called Woodworking Magazine and their web site is:
http://www.woodworking-magazine.com /
The are affiliated, it appears, with Popular WWg. No ads.
I am in no way affiliated with this wood rag. Just want to say that they have done a very nice job in a very crowded field. There is not much that FWW and others have not covered. This one targets newbies or self trained WW's and aims to fill in the knowledge base that may have been overlooked.
The back cover is nicely done and is devoted to a single topic. They call it a "poster" although it does not detach per se. The spring issue back cover (current premiere) is about screws and is nicely designed.
Just my 2 cents. I admire the balls it takes to do this type of venture.
Ordered...thanks
Rob
--

Please visit our (recently updated) web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com
Rob Stokes wrote:

Me too. Looks very well done.
--
gabriel

They say the next issue comes out in August. I wonder if they are always going to be spaced that far or if that's just magazine startup effects?
--- Gregg
My woodworking projects:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html
Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm
Steambending FAQ with photos:
http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm
"Improvise, adapt, overcome." snipped-for-privacy@head-cfa.harvard.edu Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics Phone: (617) 496-1558
Gregg Germain notes:

It has to support itself with newsstand sales, so overloading the market is probably not a good idea, especially on introduction. Too, the staff is from Pop. Woodworking, so they have to shift mental gears to work on it, and add it to their normal workload, which probably isn't light, though PW does have one of the larger in-house staffs of any woodworking magazine.
Start-up magazine that needs to be high quality, but must support itself quickly, and do it all without subtracting from qualitiy or deadlines at an already existing magazine, using the same staff. I'd be surprised if it came out more than two or three times a year, UNLESS it is superbly successful and new staff is hired.
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

an
came
and
Charlie - you're familiar with the biz. Isn't the failure rate of new magazines pretty high? If so - toss in the "no ads" approach, and doesn't this endeavor become a real long-shot?

successful
Bingo. Mutt, I spent 15 years in media on the business (advertising) side, and I share your feelings. Woodworking is very well designed and the illustrations and photos are quite nice, but nowhere AFAIK is it identified as aimed at the beginning woodworker. I'm not one of them, but I'll be buying the next issue just to see how they're doing. If they succeed, great--we can use more beginners and young people in the hobby.
Bob

mttt asks:

It would seem so, but...F&W (parent company) is a huge publisher, with a long, long list of niche magazines, and, from what I'm told, a very healthy financial picture. They are going into this with no new staff, so costs are low. They've already got distribution in place...once I discovered the magazine existed, I found it in all 5 of the places I visited that carried magazines. Biggest cost is probably going to be a bit of production time and production cost, added to printing. It's a small magazine because of the lack of ads.Color on just the 4 covers reduces costs, too. Many years ago, I used to edit an association magazine that used color on covers, with b&w inset photography. We did it by having xxxx thousand covers printed with just the color border and the magazine name. Everything else was b&w and printed later with one print run. Some extra cost (and printing was one helluva lot more costly back then than it is now, with almost no true automation), but a fancier looking pub than otherwise possible. I don't know if that's what F&W is doing here, but it's a possibility of sorts. Let's see what color border the next issue has!
You will all have your own opinions of Popular Woodworking, but in the decade or so since Steve Shanesy took the reins, along with his current crew--I think David Thiel came on board about the same time--the improvement has been steady and large, IMO.
The effect was about the same as Rob Johnstone (and Rockler) taking over Woodworker's Journal. Both magazines offer a great deal more to the woodworker than was available in the past. That is true whether or not you agree with the mix either magazine has. It may or may not be right for you, but I think (and let's emphasize think, as I haven't checked circulation figures recently) that both PW and WWJ are in the 200,000 copy per issue range. Wood has more, possible close to double that, while I have never checked Woodwork and FWW to see what their circulation might be. I guess I should if I am going to pretend to be a publishing expert. I sell and write articles and books (in that order), and don't always keep track of the harder (so my editors tell me) part of the business.
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Amen!
Heck, if nothing yet - put in a "Best of the Wreck" column where they can collectively harvest the wit of the Cabal^H^H^H^H group.
[ Sound of wheels Turning ] "JOATs Free Plan de Mois" "Bay Area Dave's Esoteric Tool Corner" "<YourNameHere>'s Monthly Expenditures to Keep Delta Afloat" "Mttt's No Such Thing as a Stupid Question Except This One Q&A"
I always laugh when Issue 1, Vol. 1 of a new magazine publishes letters to the editor. (as described on their website). How did those letter writers know this mag existed?
dean s

forth from the murky depths:

Most woodworkers are psychic, but you should have known that.
---=====--- After all else fails, read the instructions. ---=====--- Website Design and Update http://www.diversify.com