New Woodworking Magazine?

Page 2 of 2
Like charlie b and others I also bought the premiere issue of Woodworking Magazine and here is what I found.
It has some great articles. It has some good articles. It has some bad articles.
To make a long review short, I will be buying Issue II.
UA100

I spent 15 years in print media, so I look at Woodworking from a different angle. I'm afraid that it isn't going to find a niche in a crowded field. $7 per issue of a "thin" magazine (ads or no ads, it's a perception) may price it out of sight for the beginner, the guy who is in the target audience. The book is very well designed, good paper stock, nice photos well-reproduced, and easy to use. But nowhere does it say "for the beginner" and its very look and feel may lead a potential buyer to think it's beyond them. It just didn't seem to have much meat. Of course these are just my opinions--I'll be buying #2 also.
Bob
Bob Schmall responds:

And find another store. Buying Canadian is painful. My issue, just bought, lists at $4.99, which means about $4.49 at WalMart. Canadian bucks run it up to $7.99.
The articles seem to me to be basic, but thorough. I like the shelf support basics, though they left out a couple you can make that are a lot nicer than the boughten kind. The piece on stub tenon doors is about as complete as such a piece can get, very nicely photographed. I like the chisel/plane hanging box. I'm not really fond of the piece on short rules, probably because I almost never use a 6" rule. Or possibly because it's a bit over-complete for what it's about. Haven't had time to do much with the rest, but i'll be buying issue #2 as well...but, then again, if it's going to $7, maybe not. Or is that just for the pre-order? Is it going to stay $4.99 on the newsstands?
Charlie Self "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
Where did you guys find it in Milwaukee? I had to order mine.
Also, I notice you both use your wi.rr.com accounts without screwing them up. I've been afraid to use mine for fear of spam. Does Time Warner do a good job of filtering, or what are you doing special?
Joe

BIG JOE wrote:

Pic 'N Save on Capitol and A Hunnert and Twenty Forth Street.

I use my delete key.
UA100

Pick 'n Save in Mukwonago.

We get all kinds of free updates from Mikrosoft. Easy to recognize, and they come with a virus alert. Otherwise, they do a pretty good job.
Bob
brought forth from the murky depths:

I'll be driving down to Medford to purchase issue #1 tomorrow. (Gotskta make a Costco run anyway.) It sounds like a winner!
========================================================== Save the Endangered Boullions from being cubed! http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online ==========================================================