New woodworking machinery company

guess we can all start our own woodworking machinery company. You just need a lot of cash, you pay yourself a trip to China, you pick your suppliers and you pick your "company official color". Sorry, yellow, red, gray, green, blue, white are already taken. You get your containers full of Chinese made tools back in America and you start selling them.

Do we need another company like that?

Cyberben

Reply to
cyberben

snipped-for-privacy@videotron.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f6g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

What kind of company would you like to see?

Starting from scratch with the marketing, sales & tech support, there are a lot of risks to take. How are you going to leverage a full line manufacturing facility at the same time? And get all those capabilities up to speed and quality at the beginning?

It's tough enough to get started when you have dealer relationships on which you can draw.

Or should we all just buy Ryobi now?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I applaud them. Its a huge risk to start a new company. Particularly when a large part of the market has in it some real cheap junk masquerading as tools. It seems to me, by reading some of the threads here, that a significant number of woodworkers buy solely on price.

I will hope Steel City Tools Works succeeds, manufacturers and services a quality product. However, if they just introduce a different colored chinwanese machine, they are doomed. IMHO

Dave

Teamcasa

Although there is something to some of that, it probably would help to have a ton of expertise in the industry, which the founders of the company appear to have in spades--if you count high level positions at Delta and Powermatic as expertise.

Elllis Walentine (no lightweight in the industry himself) wrote an exclusive report on the rollout, which you can read here:

of the WoodCentral folks have already suggested some things, which I'm sure will be fed back to the company. I like the looks of the oscillating spindle sander which, if the price is right, will keep me from having to buy anything from Grizzly.

Unfortunately, they have arrived too late for me as I already have most of the major tools that I need, but you guys have a ball.

Reply to
LRod

Why do you ask? With all the bitching about Delta and Jet getting weaker with their products, a company that wants to be innovative and focus on what woodworkers really want should be welcomed. . Sounds like the real innovation will be the second generation machines, but they are able to hit the present market with some good iron. Worth looking at their offerings.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Probably not- but if they raise the bar even a little, it can't hurt. Better than a continued decline, at any rate.

FWIW, I haven't used them, but I took a strong look at the Orion tools at Sears, and they seemed pretty decent. The only thing that turned me off was that they used odd sizes for most things, and not even Sears sold the accessories. If it's the same guy that started it along with some Jet and Delta folks, it could be a good thing. I know my wood supplier broke off and formed his own company, and his product line is similar, but the hours, prices and general feel of the place is greatly improved.

Though I'd agree I'd rather see them start a factory in the US.

Reply to
Prometheus

A link to some information on the new company.

Leon