New Woodhaven site

Page 2 of 2
SwampBug wrote:

<snip>
Sorry, I never noticed such a sign. Was it in Arabic? I read very little Arabic.
Hoyt W.
For you and Morris. . .the sign was there, IIRC, the whole time I was there , 60-61. 13 months with the USAF. I spent a some time at 'occasions in Aramco with a mix of some sort of soda and some 'Industrial' strength equivalent to "Everclear"!Definitely some stuff to tread lightly upon!!!. The sign said something like "A Switch Engine can cross this crossing the (x) seconds, whether you are in it or not!" I was trying to remember the exact words and more specifically, the exact number of seconds quoted.
--
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -
SwampBug wrote:

Thanks SwampBug for the details. IIRC. the forbidden liquid was called Sadiqi [sah dee key] . A Pakistani friend said that meant " My friend" in his language and perhaps in Arabic as well. Right out of the still, it made a mean Margarita. Curl your hair it would. When I arrived in The Magic Kingdom in 1984, there were wars going on between the big distillers and the small distillers at ARAMCO. My Brit friend on our compound had an "in" with one or more of the Brit distillers in ARAMCO and he kept me supplied. I kept mine in a gallon sized vinegar jug in a cabinet beside the kitchen sink. My apartment was never inspected by the Saudi authorities and I never heard of them searching any abode on the university compound. Hoyt W.
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Good call. Sadiq means "friend". In Arabic you make a thing yours by appending 'i' - so sadiqi is "my friend".
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Morris Dovey wrote:

Morris, it is just amazing what O.T. info one can obtain on a wood working site. Your explanation was something I did not know. Thanks.
Hoyt Weathers
Some of that juice went for as much a $100 a pint on base! Dang stuff burns with an invisible flame.
But I really was interested in the railroad crossing sign. . .<s> I will have to dig out all my old pics and see if I might not have gotten a shot of it. Seems like somthing I would do! <g> Might even do a Google search.
--
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Morris Dovey wrote:

Hi Morris,
While my wife and I were there, schoolers male or female could go through the 8th grade. Then they had to go out of country for their education - expenses paid for by the Saudis. They could not return during the summer months, meaning the months they were out of school. They knew as well as we did that sap rises about that age. My wife, now deceased, taught at the Academy as part of the U.S. Consulate.
I very much agree with your statement that the Saudis provided a good environment for families. My wife had beautiful gray hair and always had it covered with a very open black net whenever we went into Al Khobar or any other place off campus. We had many good Saudi friends. They respected my wife partly because she was a teacher and had gray hair - indicating age. She has been gone four years now.
It was a wonderful experience living and working in S.A. . There is another world out there and most of them are very good people - regardless of religion.
Hoyt W.
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

What interesting experiences she must have had! I would expect that there must have been both unique challenges and opportunity for major sense of accomplishment.
When I lived in Minnesota I filled in for a high school math teacher who'd had a serious snowmobile accident. I had all of the math classes and all of the students for about two months. It was one of the most exhilerating and satisfying experiences of my life to see "the lights come on" on all those kids faces all over the room all at the same time. There's nothing else like it. I don't doubt that your wife enjoyed those same kinds of experiences - and what an enviable context in which to teach!
I have mixed feelings about pushing kids out of the nest after eighth grade - it's an age when major changes are taking place and (IMO) familial guidance is really important to complete and healthy development of the individual. Many of my ARAMCO classmates seem to feel the same way.

Yes. It's interesting that you took notice of that. My experience was that the cultural norm included a strong sense of respect for the individual. Even though I was "just a kid" I felt that I was accorded more "worthwhile and complete human being" status by the typical Saudi than by typical westerners. It wasn't a /huge/ difference; but it was enough to be noticable to a kid trying hard to become an adult.

It's tough going on alone. Woodworking can be a considerable comfort by providing an outlet for the love that we'd really prefer to be expressing directly.

For me, too. I never forgot an old bedouin telling me that "/All/ men are brothers under the skin." I think that perhaps it isn't really "another world" - it's the same world seen from a different place and a different perspective. I'm led to believe that nearly everyone tries to be the best person they know how to be - and the Saudis seemed no exception.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

At noon EDT, the site was working fine using Windows and IE Mike (The other)Mike G.
@aol.comxxx says...

Works for Internet explorer, works only marginally for Mozilla -- to even get to marginal you have to allow pop-ups from that site (there are no annoying pop-ups, but apparently some elements on the page are pop- ups. However, the tabs (for your ... , etc) across the top of the page don't work with Mozilla no matter what.
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 22:44:40 GMT, Mark & Juanita

I'm using Firefox and I found that the tabs across the top work if I allow cookies. No cookies, no tabs.
says...

I'm allowing cookies in Mozilla.

BTW, it loads here (Mac OS X 10.3.3, Safari browser).
What Mac OS, and what version of Netscrape are you running?
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Dave, I am running Mac OS 9.2.2 and Netscape 4.79 on a G4 dual 450 with 1 Gig of RAM.
HMW

There ya go.
;-)
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:54:32 -0600, Dave Balderstone

That's it, alright. Brand new 1927 technology! Hoyt, upgrade to Nutscrape 7.0. It's stable and works well. Mozilla was unstable so I reverted to NN7 and use it along with MSIE6.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 16:05:46 -0700, Larry Jaques
upgrade to Nutscrape 7.0. It's stable and works well.

tried mozilla lately? I've been running it with no problems on my windows box with no problems...
On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 16:32:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com brought forth from the murky depths:

How about "Mozilla was unstable within the last year."?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Hoyt
Go here and grab the 1.3.1 Mozilla build. Works better than standard Mozilla's on my Beige G3/MacOS9.2.2
TCJ