New Woodhaven site

Page 1 of 2
As many of you who also received the same e-mail from Woodhaven this morning, I went to their new site:
www.woodhaven.com.
It would not work for me. The home page loaded just fine, but nothing else worked. Like in none. If it matters, I am running a Macintosh and Netscape. Is it me or Woodhaven's problem?
Hoyt W.
it's NOT Woodhaven's issue, Hoyt. :) (I didn't have any problems with Netscape, viewing various pages at Woodhaven).
dave
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

oops! I changed the text and left in the smiley. My first draft, I teased you about having a Mac.
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Thanks for the smiley Dave. I wonder if other Wreckers are running Macs. I have been running Macs since 1987 when I returned from Saudi Arabia. I would not have a PC on a bet !
Hoyt W.
wassamatter, Hoyt, don't you want to line Billy's pockets? How can he divvy out all those grants if we don't line up to buy his crappy software?
dave
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:
<snip, snip>

You lost me there Dave. Were you looking at the same URL I was? BTW, who is Billy? Are you referring to W. Gates? Play nice now. Perhaps I am having problems since I am using DirecWay satellite Internet. I doubt that is the trouble however since I have never had this problem before. Hoyt W.
yes, I was referring to Gates. SOMEBODY has to buy his stuff so he can give away some money. IF you buy Apple, where's your hard earned money ultimately going? :)
I thought about the satellite but at about $70 a month it's too rich for my blood. plus the up front costs...
dave
dave
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

<snip>

Hear, Hear! I'm stuck out here in the boonies where you can't even get cable, but I'll suffer with the 26.4 (28.8 on a very good day) dialup before I pay that much. Yeah, I know about the 56k modems. I have one and my ISP supports them. If the telco ever upgrades from the string and tin can maybe I will see 56k downloads. (I said I was out in the boonies!)
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom, look on the bright side. You've got some killer BBQ places there!
dave
Tom Veatch wrote:

<snip>

Hoyt,
It's been a while since I did any web development, but I notice that the site apparently uses a lot of scripting or dynamic html (?) so it may be that there is a conflict with your browser security settings or configuration. Like I said, it's been a while since I messed with any of that stuff, so I could easily be all wet but it might be worth some experimentation.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
snipped-for-privacy@onemain.com says...

Hoyt, I missed your posting of the above information. I am also using DirecWay. The only way I could make the site work was to use Internet Explorer. I think, as Tom indicates, more tied to the browser than the ISP.

There are a few of us... ;-)

I just finished rearranging the basement office to get a Win XP box set up. First one I've owned since I started out with the VIC-20 many moons ago.
I'd rather not, but the school board here is all wintel and daughter heads to high school next year. It's still outnumbered by the three Macs, though.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:26:01 -0600, Dave Balderstone

you had a vic-20 running Win XP? impressive...
<G>

Porting to the TRaSh-80 was a bitch, though.
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:54:00 -0600, Dave Balderstone

with a boot time measured in *years*....
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Hoyt...
I'm curious... Where in Saudi Arabia were you and how long were you there? I lived in Dhahran and Abqaiq (Al Hasa Province) from '51 thru '61.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Morris Dovey wrote:

Hi Morris,
I was at Dhahran for 3 years as a Senior Research Engineer in the Research Institute associated with the University of Petroleum and Minerals. I went there when I retired from NASA in early 1984 and returned for good in July of 1987. We shared a common fence with Saudi Aramco. I bet you were with the former ARAMCO and not Saudi Aramco. I went through Abqaiq many times when driving to Hofuff. I really miss the camel souqs and gold souqs in Hofuff.
O.T. comment: I have always admired your postings here.
Hoyt W. Trinity, Alabama USA
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Interesting. There wasn't a university, or even high school, of any kind while I was there (I commuted to high school in northern Indiana in the fall; and returned in the spring).
As a kid, I enjoyed it all. ARAMCO (and the Saudis!) provided a good environment for families with kids and there was abundant opportunity to travel and learn about the rest of the world. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
I hope your memories are as good.

Thanks - don't be tempted to take any of 'em too seriously! (-:
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
SwampBug wrote:

Had to have been after my time. When I was there Dhahran, Abqaiq, and Ras Tanura were all wholly ARAMCO. Al Khobar was the closet non-ARAMCO village; Hofuf was the next closest. The only sign I can remember at the gate was the 'Numbers of days since last lost time accident ____'
I only lived in Dhahran for my first six months in SA. It was still being called a "camp". After moving to Abqaiq, I visited Dhahran only to warm (cool?) the bench for school football games or to pass through on my way to either Al Khobar or the hobby farm (about halfway between Dhahran and Al Khobar). When I arrived in Abqaiq only some of the streets were paved. As I recall, Abqaiq had about eleven or twelve hundred inhabitants then (made for really small classes in school).
I do remember that the safety crew had signs every place you could imagine and at least a few (places and signs) that might cause giggles. Really witty stuff: "Be alert, don't get hurt!" and "Don't sleep under this truck!". It's difficult to imagine what they might have composed in honor of a switch engine <g>
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA