New Woodcraft Magazine

Fell for the promo for this a couple months back and just got the first issue in the mail. So far I've just done a quick scan, but it may be a keeper. Projects (4), couple articles about woodworkers (one of them David Marks), usual tips, etc, not dumbed down (at least for me).

Anyone else seen it yet?

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Do they have a web site?

Reply to
Joe

out by Woodcraft -

Lobby Dosser

I got an invitation to subscribe, but am struggling with $38 for 6 issues. Paying less than that for other mags of similar quality.

What do you guys think of the cost?

Reply to
bob

I haven't seen the subscription cost yet. Filled out a form on Woodcraft web site a couple months ago. They said the first issue was free and they'd bill me. If I didn't want to continue Ic could write 'Cancel' on the bill. If they're looking for $38 for six issues, I'll be writing 'Cancel'. My $38 will be better spent picking up issues of other magazines when they have something that interests me.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

The $38 for 6 issues is steep price compared to other mags. I'll just stick to my present mags.

Reply to
dteckie

I can get more use out of $38 of wood than $38 of paper.

Reply to
Makinwoodchips

Youre paying for the ink, not the paper. But for that price they'd better be writing something pretty good with it.

Where I buy my FWW they're always apologising for its high cost. Now it's a good magazine and I don't mind paying for it. How's it seen in the USA though ? Do you think it's "expensive" ? Too expensive to bother with ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

it's out of the price range I'm willing to pay, I like wood, and popular wood working a friend gave me a subscription to woodsmith, I really like it, just wish it was a little cheaper.

Reply to
Richard Clements

It's expensive. I read it at the library and, if needed, borrow it when it is no longer their current issue.

If this new magazine does turn out to be $38 for me, I will cancel before paying. It seems pretty good, but not that good, particularly since it is a house organ.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I think FWW is pretty respected in the US. It is surely among, (if not the) most expensive magazine on the rack but their circ is still very impressive 200k paid subs and 100k off the rack every issue.

BW

Reply to
Bill Wallace

There is a cupon in the first issue for 37% off or $29.97 for the six issues. It does look alot like FWW

Reply to
Tom O'Connor

Hoping to soon. I just sent in my trial issue card a week ago. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Hi everyone ...

The correct subscription price for Woodcraft Magazine is $29.97 for one year.

And, no, it's not a "house organ," whatever that is.

The magazine is a standalone publication of Dovetail Media, which, in turn, is a division of Woodcraft Supply Corp. One of the things I insisted upon before accepting the job of editor-in-chief is that the magazine have its own identity, and not be merely an extension of the retail division, or a "magalog." Sure, a lot of the tools and supplies that appear in projects and product reviews are sold in the Woodcraft stores, catalogs and retail Web site -- Woodcraft sells a ton of the best woodworking stuff around, so it'd be difficult for this not to be the case. However, editorially speaking, I am in no way directed by the retail division, and things will also be covered in the magazine that they *don't* sell (the Triton drill that appears in the first issue, for example, is not available at Woodcraft; likewise, none of the required supplies to build the P.O. Box coin bank project are available at Woodcraft -- and their sources, some of whom are Woodcraft competitors, are listed). Quite a few people here on the forum know my background from when I edited Woodshop News, and can vouch for my editorial integrity.

My main reason for this post was to address some of the questions that have come up in this thread, and I hope I have. Feel free to ask any other questions you like. Also, let me reiterate what an earlier poster said, and that is that I am very eager to get reader input for the magazine. *Every* feature and department is open to freelancers

-- we pay well for tool reviews, profiles, project articles, everything. Send photos of your work to our Show Off gallery, send in your tips (we pay for them, too), and your questions for the Ask The Expert department. My e-mail should be attached to this post, so feel free to inquire about our needs and ask for our writers' guidelines.

Finally, at the risk of sounding like I'm plugging a product that I'm extremely proud of (which I am, 'natch ), I hope everyone will at least give the magazine a try.

Thanks!

A.J.

Reply to
A.J. Hamler

As people are beginning to discover, magazine cover prices are a bit like manufacturers suggested retail prices. IOW, almost nobody actually ends up paying the "list price." The $29.97 price works out to 5 bucks an issue and, in fact, Woodcraft has updated the magazine website to indicate that this is now the normal subscription rate. But I understand that some people have gotten discount coupons promising a subscription for as little as $19.97. I suspect that if you call the 800 number and tell the operator that you have heard that people are able to subscribe for $19.97 and ask nicely, they'll give that rate to you as well. If they ask you for a promotion code, tell them "05TDMD." I don't know what it means but that's what's on the $19.97 coupon.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

A house organ (a publication owned by a manufacturer or retailer and aimed at improving sales) is what it might be were it not for the statements you make in the next paragraph.

I hope Woodcraft follows through.

Snips

Reply to
Lobby Dosser