New vs. old scroll saws?

I have a Delta 40-540 (modern parallel arm 2-speed 16" model, lightweight Taiwanese) that I picked up used a while back. Just today I ended up with heavy '50s Craftsman 18" saw in great condition.

The thing is, I don't do scrollwork that much. I'm thinking about selling the Delta, since it's worth more, and keeping the old Craftsman. Bigger, much more rigid. The oldie looks more in line with the rest of my machines, too. Anyway, other than lack of parts support would I miss anything if I went with the old saw? I know that plugner-types have to run at lower tension that the arm-types, but is it that big a deal?

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Ability to vary speed is useful. Does the C'man have pulleys for that? With the lower tension you feed slower, to allow clearing rather than cramming, but that's about it.

I've got a semi-antique "C" arm Delta myself. Suits my style well enough.

Reply to
George

I have an old time (40s) Craftsman scroll saw (nee jigsaw). Original throughout (except blades obviously). The only problem I have with it is that changing blades or loosing one end to cut some interior geegaws is a royal PITA. But hey, my brother sold it to me for $25, 50 years ago. Gotta get my money's worth. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I still have an old (Delta?) plunger type scroll saw. I finally went all out and bought an RBI Hawk. The older saws do run at lower tension, and require a little more fussing, but I'm starting to think that as wonderful as the Hawk is that the old plunger type might be a better saw. I'd keep the old Craftsman.

That said I'm out of room and plan to sell my plunger type scroll saw.

-Rick

Reply to
Sbtypesetter