New Use for a Drill Motor

Page 1 of 2
Last night I sat watching AFV (America's Funniest Videos) and saw two...uh....men using a drill motor as a rotiserrie to turn two chickens on the barbie. Only trouble was, they apparently didn't have a variable speed drill. The chickens rotated very very fast. The guy doing the basting just held a paint brush against the birds while the other idiot tried pulsing the drill motor. Damn! BBQ sauce everywhere hey?
So, the moral of the story is - don't throw away those old drill motors! Get creative. See if Emeril will buy them from you!
Philski
There was a tale told here several years ago - a Tim The Tool Man type. Guy was given the task of whipping the cream for the Thanks Giving pumpkin pie. Guy figured his 28000 rpm router would do the job MUCH QUICKER than a little wimpy "mixer".
No football watching due to time spent getting the whipped cream off the kitchen cabinet doors, the kitchen walls the kitchen ceiling and the clothes of the idiots who watched
charlie b
was probably a Walt Akers tale.
charlie b wrote:

I tried to use my router to cut drywall once since it was handy. I had to leave the windows open for two days in the middle of winter to let the dust out.

I've seen professional drywall crews do exactly that. They've got what looks like a little trim router with a straight bit in it. They slap a piece of drywall up over an electrical box, stab it with the bit and zip-zip-zip trace the outline of the box. Presto, instant electrical box hole, exactly the right size, in exactly the right place, in less time than it takes to explain it.
Roy Smith writes:

Probably a Roto-Zip, a tool designed to do exactly that.
Charlie Self "Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity has made them good." H. L. Mencken

make sure you use a DOWN spiral bit....

dust
My wife tried to clean up our house last week as we did a lot of drywall sanding, etc and it was on the floor. She grabbed my big wet vac and didn't ask me. She failed to check the filter (which wasn't on at all) and went to it... About 5 minutes later, she looked behind her and couldn't see the otehr end of the house. It was blowing all the dst she was sucking up directly behind her and away from her. EVERYTHING in our house has a sheet rock dust coating. I'm on teh opposite end of the house right now and look at my brand new DSL router... It has a coating on it.
Eventually, I gave her the extra long spare hose and let her blow the dust outside. :)
Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Northern, NJ Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride" http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm
Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...
Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

David Eisan made a post and entered into infamy on [April 1st] 2001.
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=whipped+cream+router&hl=en&lr=&selm=DyJx6.123014%24A6.29221311%40news4.rdc1.on.home.com&rnum=1
The idea has been around as far back as Google can remember though.
--

Greg

philski wrote:

Only problem with this idea is that when a drill is ready to retire, the motor is completely shot anyway.
Somebody gave me a B&D benchtop bandsaw that was powered by a drill motor. The switch wasn't working or something, so I investigated. Hoo boy, I've never seen so much arcing! The brushes were shot, but more, they had eaten huge ruts in the commutator, and had packed the ruts with conductive crud.

I use a cordless drill all the time for mixing iced tea and other drinks. Chuck up a mixer beater and let 'er rip. I've found the trick is to use those 1L German beer steins.
GTO(John)
philski wrote:

On a serious note myself. Before tossing that box of old 5.25" half and full height MFM and RLL hard drives I pulled the top off of one and found the spindle and head arm shaft have 1/4" bearings. After pulling apart the rest I now have a couple dozen guide bearings for router bits.

those are nice bearings. some kick ass magnets in there too...
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

A whole bunch of them are nice for finding lost screws, just stick them on a shelf and every screw in the garage will jump off the floor and fly to the pile of magnets :)
On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:27:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@all.costs wrote:

that's what I thought, until I got my Rare Earth ones.. lol
I still have a HD magnet on the side of my bench, with my 16 oz hammer on it.. surprises a lot of folks..
I have a trailer story for you. I previously worked at one of those big box stores, and one afternoon they delivered a trailer to be unloaded that night, dropped it and took off. Well the unloading crew got to that trailer at about midnight and found out the driver didn't back it all the way up to the dock. He must have ran into something and didn't pay any attention, so he thought he was against the dock and took off. He was ten feet from the dock. At that time of the night, there was nobody locally they could call, so they had someone drive down from the warehouse (two hrs drive) to back it up the last ten feet. It made for a good laugh!
A little more serious. Friends of ours pull a 31' Fifth Wheel. They were setting up next to us in a campground this summer and he pulled out his old Makita cordless drill motor and used it to operate the jacks. He told me the shop wanted over $100 to repair the existing motor so he adapted a back-up hand-crank end to fit the drill motor. Works great.

I use my sears drill for that.. ours never were power, so you need to crank one in each corner.. 1/2 cordless with a socket works great..
mac davis wrote:

I would have loved to have a motor the other day. I pulled a dumbass rookie 101 screwup. I backed under a loaded trailer, cranked up the dollies, hooked up the lines, let go of the brakes, then pulled away. WHAM! I didn't check the hitch.
It was 1:00 AM, and there was nobody around to help me crank. Have you ever cranked a fully loaded 45' semitrailer back up high enough to get the tractor under it?
I found out what the low gear is for on that crank. Urk. That sucked. We don't even haul much weight. If that had been something heavier than furniture, it probably would have sheared the feet right off, and then I would have been in a world of trouble with the boss man.
Funny how you do something a long time (eight years) and that's when you make stupid newbie mistakes, because you get too comfortable that you know what you're doing.
There's a woodworking lesson in there somewhere too, I'm sure.

were
rookie
ever
Yup! One time! Fortunately it was an empty. Dropping an empty @ the shipping dock to be loaded. You develop a routine, but someone interrupted the routine in the middle, wanted me inside for something, just when I would have cranked dollies. Came back out, pulled the pin, got in, started to pull away. Heard that odd "grating" noise & hit the brakes, just a microsecond too late. Single axle Astro(before air ride suspension), and the front of the trailer had already passed the center point on 5th wheel, *spit* the tractor out from under trailer like shooting a watermelon seed by squeezing it. Used several of the comments from JOAT's thread about ww'ing philosophy, then shut up & saved my breath for cranking the dam dollies!
--
Nahmie
Norman D. Crow wrote:

:)