New Unisaw - The flag is back

Page 6 of 6
"Tom G" wrote:

Years ago, Jack Welch, CEO of GE, made a rather tongue in cheek remark about the world wide pursuit of low cost labor, something to the effect that if you truly want the lowest labor cost, build the factory on a barge, then tow it to the lowest cost labor pool.
When the pool moves, move the factory.
Using contract manufacturers pretty much accomplishes the same objective.
Lew

Another factor in any decision to manufacture here or overseas is the increasing cost of shipping. Especially "heavy iron". <G>
Max
http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?nav=main&webtag=fw-editorsblog&entry )1
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/18/08
Swingman wrote:

http://blogs.taunton.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?nav=main&webtag=fw-editorsblog&entry )1
Did you note the comment that the only thing the new saw has in common with the classic Unisaw is its name.
Nevertheless I thought some of the new features were quite interesting. Both the height and angle wheels are on the front. The demonstrater claimed that the new angle guage was accurate to 1/2 degree. Built in riving knife easily adjusted for non-through cuts or completely removable. John

I did, I wonder if the Beismeyer and or Unifence is gone.
I doubt it.. There isn't a lot design changes you could make to a fence.
Since Delta owns both, why change such a successful product ?
Leon wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

The one on the saw in the video looks a lot like a Bies.
--John

Love to get one of these. Years ago, I did an endurance report on what might have been one of the last USA made Unisaws, for WWJ. It would be fun to do a back-up with this one, see how it compares, and how many problems crop up over a year. What improvements are real; what improvements are marketing. Take the lid off and check the trunnions for size and machining and the complexity--and size and quality--of any lift and tilt gearing that differs from the original Unisaw. Check how difficult the saw could be to adjust in 10-15-20 years, not that I'll be checking tablesaws at those times, but others will. Check prices. Yeah, this has to be for what Lew calls the "carriage trade" for a series of reasons. Chinese labor costs may have risen considerably, but they are nowhere near most U.S.labor costs. Pollution controls in the U.S. add to costs, as do other environmental regs. Insurance costs are higher here. U.S. cast iron probably still draws a premium. Add to that the simple fact that they're apparently pushing this saw as a complete item. Will they offer the basic saw and let the woodworker build his/her own tables, drawers, etc.? At the moment, it doesn't sound like that is going to happen. I'd also like to see if there are plans to follow the Steel City example and make a solid granite top available.
I wish it a solid success.
But I also wonder if they'll offer the basic Unisaw as, say, Unisaw Classic.

I think a track for a feather board would be a nice improvement and or a way to keep the far end of the fence down to make a feather board applying downward pressure more effective.

Quick change for the faces is nice, too. Check the HTC.