New Unisaw - The flag is back

Page 2 of 6
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

More precisely, my nice B&W film and paper see it that way ;)
Renata wrote:

The market will solve this problem - in the not so long run people will not pay premium prices for junk.

No - their executives are morons too - but the unions are the primary problem. Do the math. Look at what the eeeeeeevil execs have taken out of the company and then the insane payments the unions have extorted. The exec compensation is rounding error by comparison.

I don't claim the world is that binary. But markets have a funny way of punishing stupidity and sloth. I am currently in the market to replace my old Chevy truck. Chevy is begging for my business with unbelievable rebates. The problem? I don't know if they can survive long enough to support the warranty period, let along the very long run I tend to own a vehicle. I think I am buying a Japanese product. This is the market doing its job. Perhaps someday, the UAW worker who is getting full wages and benefits without having worked for years may get clued in their that their avarice destroyed a national institution. Then again... perhaps not.

I worked for GM dealerships, and sold wholesale GM parts for many years. I have owned 2 GM trucks and my 3rd truck is an 07 Toyota Tundra. I started out with appointments to drive GMC, Chev, and Toyota. I was so disappointed in the GM products ride quality and feel that I almost said I'll wait a few more years. The local GMC dealer called me at home after my first visit and offered me an "extremely" good deal on the truck I wanted and a good trade in price on my 97 Chevy PU. IIRC $18,000 drive out. I drove the GMC trucks again and went to the Toyota dealer and drove the Tundra. The Tundra was $5,000 more than the GMC and I had no problem with paying the difference. The Toyota ride and feel was that much better.
Do yourself a favor and at least test drive the Tundra.
Leon wrote:

PGP Key: http://www.tundraware.com/PGP /

Toyota now has the Tundra looking SUV but if you want smaller the Pathfinder should fill the bill.
A little insight in to how the great pricing rebates work now days. Right now production on new 08 vehicles have pretty much stopped. Incentives are aimed at relieving dealer inventory. Even in the Spring when vehicles are still in production the incentives will be better if you pick something off of the dealers lot. Dealers to trade, but dealers usually do not want to trade a vehicle that is more likely to sell for one that is less likely to sell. Especially now with gas prices being inflated a stripped down unit will be more desirable than a more expensive one with lots of options. Dealerships typically do not own their vehicle inventory and pay a hefty floor plan interest on a monthly basis to the manufacturers. I recall a 400 unit inventory of Oldsmobile's in the mid 80's typically cost the dealership about $1.2 million per year just to have them sitting on the lot. With today's prices that figure is probably 2 to 3 times higher, so the dealers really want to turn their inventory rather than trade or order a new unit. I "was" going to order my Tundra and put the order together with the dealer but buying off the lot I got an additional $3,000 off of the already $4,000 incentive price reduction in July of last year. I would imagine most all dealerships are offering better deals these days.
A cautionary word about American Nissan, their sales have been pretty poor in the last few years and they have been partnered up with Renault IIRC. Their financial situation is not great either although probably better than the old big 3. Have you noticed how many times their flag ship car the Maxima has been redesigned in the last 4 or 5 years?
One more hint that works well in a big city, use an online service like kbb.com or autobytel.com to set up an appointment with a local dealership to test drive a car. Typically the dealership will contact you with a price that is based off of dealer invoice. This will afford you the opportunity to buy any model on the lot without having to worry about different mark ups on different models.
Leon wrote:

They also make the 4Runner, based on the Tacoma.

i have a 90 4runner, purchased new in 89. 160k miles. i can fit 4x8 plywood in it flat, with about 2' hanging over the downed tailgate. i've spent (maybe) $2k for repairs on it besides routine maintenance. it is truly a rock.
B A R R Y wrote:

Well, after all the fiddling around with various dealers ... I ended up with ... another Chevy Tahoe. Why? I managed to find what I wanted and they just *gutted* their prices to make the deal too good to walk away. Between the employee pricing and additional cash incentives, the dropped the price something like $11K from sticker. I don't drive a whole lot, so the gas prices were not a huge factor. I traded in a 13 year old Tahoe and - to GM's credit - they've really improved the engineering. Then again, my new car with 20 miles on *insists* that the hood is open when it isn't ... sigh ... it's Warranty Roulette all over again.
What's fascinating about all this is that - having looked at most of the major SUV options out there ... they all get more-or-less the same mileage, regardless of whether they are mid- or full-sized truck frames. Go figure ...

BTY the hood switch is probably a plunge type switch that simply needs to be adjusted, open the hood, locate the switch, and manually press it in while some one else verifies if the warning goes away. If that works you can probably very easily adjust it, if they are still using the older style switch you simply pull it out further as the adjustment is a friction fit. This might save you a trip back to the dealer to get rid of the annoyance.
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 06:58:31 -0500, "Leon"

Without a doubt on the technology. Comparing ten/twenty year old vehicles with what is offered today is not relevant.
As an example, my '07 Tacoma, double cab, 2WD, Auto, V6, regular fuel, which is a relevant comparison gets 19.5 around town and 22.5 on the highway. No estimates here, I've kept nearly two years of data in a spreadsheet, throwing out only those tanks used for towing (about 14 mpg depending on hills). So the manufacturers are using technology to get better MPG across the board with regard to vehicle size.
As an example, I had a 1970 volkswagen beetle. As I recall it only got 23 MPG and it was a U. S. mileage leader. Next car was a 73 Monte Carlo with a 454. I don't want to talk about its MPG, brings back nightmares.
Frank

With out a doubt fuel injection has been the big help followed by the computer controlling everything. Computers have been on GM cars since 1980 IIRC and were used with carbureted engines, not such a good combination. Once the carb was tossed the mileage improved dramatically. My dad's loaded V6 Olds 98 got 32 mpg on the highway all day long. That was really pretty darn good even by today's standards. My wife drives a loaded 2004 Accord and gets no better with a 4 cyl engine. Smaller engines are pretty hard to beat for in town driving but the bigger engines tend to be more efficient on the highway when comparing the cubic inch increase to mileage decrease. I'm only getting 10% less miles per gallon on the highway compared to your 07 Tacoma but in town your Tacoma kicks butt.
BTY I have al my gas receipts and a calculator in the truck for the specific purpose of checking gas mileage with every tank. Are we NERDS? ;~)
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:01:38 -0500, "Leon"

LOL, yep could very well be. I guess I made the decision partially based on MPG and just wanted reassurance that it was the right one.
Frank
Leon wrote: [snip]

Well, let's check. Whose ad is on your pocket protector?
    geeksville,     jo4hn
p.s. member is good standing of the LAPOOGAN (loyal and protective order of geeks and nerds)
jo4hn wrote:

Hmm. I have a /leather/ pocket protector loaded up with a five-piece Rotring set - it matches the leather case for my nice yellow log-log Pickett N600-ES. I suppose now I hafta go find some masking tape to put on my s/s glasses frames. ;-)
What? I don't see any nerds...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

Mine doesn't really advertise anything, it just has a "United Technologies Hamilton-Standard" logo on it.

Flashing on conversation in the dentist's office the other day. The lovely Doc Irina and her assistant were laughing about the guy who had come in to fix their computer, who had his glasses held together with masking tape. They're both Russian--I had to explain the concept of "nerd" to them.

--John
"J. Clarke" wrote

What did you tell her who you were?
Lee Michaels wrote:

I think she's figured out that I'm just plain daft.
--John

Piggley Wiggley! Wanna make something of it???? LOL
Leon wrote: ...

For a truck to use as a real truck I see no advantage whatsoever in the Tundra. AFAIK still no diesel available(?), higher price, lower payload, and at least here the resale value is, if not terrible, not good (worse than Ford, even)...
Dodge is by far top farm truck locally, followed by Chevy. Ford is tops in the oil patch fleets by a (relatively slim) margin over Chevy. Dodge hasn't made inroads there for some reason in the fleet sales.
I've stayed w/ Chevy simply because everything we've ever had has been a Chevy going back to the '28 I learned to drive in (and which we used daily as a feed wagon until the late '50s) and consequently know the dealership so thoroughly there's no reason to switch. I'm sure could get by w/ the Tundra (the same dealership also has Toyota but they outsell the Tundra by >10:1 w/ Chevy for work-oriented trucks according to Pete). Their Toyota auto says are about even w/ GM products, however.