New Unisaw on the Way

Page 1 of 3
Hey all,
My new (and first) 3 HP Unisaw should be here by Thursday. I got the 50" commercial Bies. fence. I don't expect any issues or problems assembling or setting up, but it'd be great to know of tips or tricks any of you have encountered before I dig in.
TIA
-m
I just received mine about 3 weeks ago (first one also) and is the exact same as yours. I didn't encounter any problems assembling since every part was sent and nothing was damaged. I was extremely impressed with the fit of everything and how the saw itself was dead on as far as parallel to the miter slots and the angle stops. I spent about 3 hours or so with the help of my ever so lovely wife who lets me buy these expensive items, and the only tip that I have is to be careful when lifting and moving the various parts because they are all heavy. Just curious as to where you bought it from, I got mine from Woodworkers Supply in Alb., NM during one of their specials ($1499.00) and had it delivered to Arizona for only $13.
Enjoy your new saw, I'm sure enjoying mine.
--
John Voss
Prescott Valley, AZ
"John A. Voss" <johnvoss at spesystemsinc.com> wrote in message

Wow, amazing, how did you do that? Maybe you're not talking about a Delta? I bought mine about 5 months ago and its been $1,799 since then. See (Amazon.com product link shortened)93952069/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-tools/104-3789442-7882320?v=glance&s=hi&n"8013
I bought mine from a local dealer for $1,749 and got the mobile base as a freebie. I shopped and shopped extensively and concluded that Delta was price fixing at $1,799. It surely does surprise me that it could have been had for hundreds less.
BTW, in the instructions it refers to a 'Z' bracket and an 'L' bracket which supports the center of the extension table where it connects to the right wing. They were not included in mine and the lady at Biesmeyer said they only send them to customers who ask for them.
Gary
Not so amazing, really...this is the saw I got:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)93959201/sr=1-24/ref=sr_1_24/104-1779817-3359157?v=glance&s=hi
I made sure to check both with Delta and Amazon (on the phone) before I bought this saw that it was the latest. The reason it's cheaper than the one you have is because it's NOT an X5. The X5 comes with some extra goodies, which are reflected in the pricing. I wasn't interested in any of the extras, so I just go the basic saw and fence. I couldn't find a better deal than you quoted on the X5 either, by the way. I agree that Delta is probably price fixing.
Thanks very much for the tip on the fence bracket. Did you have to pay extra for those brackets, or did they send it for free?
-m

(Amazon.com product link shortened)93952069/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-tools/104-3789442-7882320?v=glance&s=hi&n"8013

(Amazon.com product link shortened)93959201/sr=1-24/ref=sr_1_24/104-1779817-3359157?v=glance&s=hi
Also one of the flathead screws that holds the fence rails was so burred up I couldn't get a nut on it. And I asked for the brackets and the screw at the same time. They kept promising to send it but no show. After about 3 weeks and the third call I think, the lady I spoke with agreed to FedEx it overnight to me. I got the bracket and the FULL bag of hardware the next day. Thanks Biesmeyer.
Gary

(Amazon.com product link shortened)93959201/sr=1-24/ref=sr_1_24/104-1779817-3359157?v=glance&s=hi
Unisaw. Seems that for the extra $250, Delta gives you a 5 year warranty and a free gift, (router, drill, mobile base, etc.) Also it appears that your model saw only has one cast iron wing, correct? Mine has two plus the extension table. Still it appears yours was a better deal.
Gary

You're right. Mine only comes with one wing, but since I already have one with my contractor saw, I actually have two. Hopefully I read everything right and my saw does come with the extension table as well. I'm not 100% sure of this, but it also wasn't a big selling point for me.
Best of luck with your saw!
-m

It's not price fixing, it's called "minimum advertised price".
Dealers can sell it for whatever they want, they just can't advertise below a set price. I have two local guys who routinely discount Delta, Jet, Powermatic, etc... You just have to walk in to see the price. Some dealers are also negotiable.
It's also why some tool and electronics dealers ask you to call or email for the price. Sometimes it's not just a come on, it's part of the dealer agreement.
Wanna see something neat? Go here -> <http://www.tvnav.com/ and click on any "email for price link". Read what you get in your email window.
Barry

it's called "minimum advertised price". " ha-ha 'Yessir your honor, we don't require our dealers to sell Unisaws at a fixed price, we just tell them they have to tell their customers that the price is $1,799 and not a penny less.' Sounds like bullshit lawyer speak to me.
listen to what he said, Gary. Delta won't allow them to ADVERTISE for less than that price, but they can SELL it for less than that. It's not that unusual at all.

I suggest you investigate the difference between advertised price and sales price. They CAN be the same, but often aren't.
Delta dosen't tell anyone what they can SELL anything for. In fact, a dealer is even free to sell a Unisaw for less than he paid for it. He just can't ADVERTISE new saws for less than Delta's MAP (minimum advertised price). In-store price tags are not considered advertising, the dealer can put any price he wants on the item for walk-in business.
This has been proven legal over and over in all kinds of retail settings, such as tools, electronics, cameras, bicycles, etc..
Do you pay sticker price for cars? Outside of Wal-Mart and Amazon.com, almost everyone is negotiable, especially when you come bearing cash. Most listed prices are set on the belief that you'll pay with plastic, as credit card merchant agreements prohibit surcharges. Being a regular at a smaller business can help, too. Buying everything online, then walking into your local guy and asking for a discount will get you nowhere.
Barry

right.
Every weekend I hear several shiester car dealers advertising "Below sticker price" "$5,000 of MSRP" or some other BS.
Outside of Wal-Mart and

merchants are selling for. I know, I offered my local dealer the same price as amazon plus taxes and delivery for an 8" jointer, drill press and dust collector. He said that the items cost him more than what amazon was selling them for. Well the stuff is setting in my shop, several hundred dollars less than my local dealer price, and delivered to my door. And no, I would not get any more service out of the retailer than what I would get out of the manufacture directly, Amazon delivers.

Gary
Gary responds:

Just the other night, someone was advertising end of year Cadillacs for $14,000 off. Jeez, man, that's several grand more than I want to pay for the whole damned car!
But after our last dealer/vehicle experience with a new car, we're going back to program cars. Let someone else eat the first year depreciation and all the problems.
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Hell, I still think of that as the half the price of a house.
Came back from overseas in 70 and could not believe the big city Ford dealers wanted $3900 for a new pickup truck. And any truck so high priced that it took 3 years to pay off was the height of insanity. Looking back, it was about that time that I begin to realize the culture and I were drifting apart.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Worst thing that ever happened to pick-ups was getting yuppiefied. Carpets and tripled prices, so now you have to pay through the nose to worry about muddy or greasy feet. Or enough doors and space to make a circus clown car, with a clown's price...some years ago, a guy I know paid about $35,000 for a 4 door 4WD 3/4 ton diesel that seldom carries a passenger or a load over 500 pounds.
Makes sense to him.
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
On 02 Sep 2004 09:06:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I have a neighbor with a leased Hemi 2500 Quad Cab. He rented the Load-n-Go a few weeks back to avoid scratching the bed. <G>
To me, the real downside of all this is that it's gotten really hard to find a good, used work truck. It seems that basic 8 foot bed 4x4's, like an F150 are very hard to find used in my area. Most 2,3 and 4 year olds for sale seem to be luxury quad cabs, complete with the two garbage can size bed. The older models have usually been plowed and are often 1 ton models, such as the F350.
I finally gave up on the truck and went to a Haulmark enclosed utility trailer behind my Wrangler or Outback. This works well so far. I've gotten spoiled by the low floor, and there's no rush to unload.
Barry
Barry ...
<<To me, the real downside of all this is that it's gotten really hard to find a good, used work truck. It seems that basic 8 foot bed 4x4's, like an F150 are very hard to find used in my area. Most 2,3 and 4 year olds for sale seem to be luxury quad cabs, complete with the two garbage can size bed. The older models have usually been plowed and are often 1 ton models, such as the F350.>>
Depending upon how beat up a truck you find acceptible, you might get a good cheap one from the Department of Administrative Services. About once a month (or maybe it's quarterly) they hold an auction of surplus state vehicles in Wethersfield. You saw my big honking Dodge van. I paid 2 grand for it about 8 years ago. I bought its predecessor at a DAS auction for $200. That one had 167,000 miles on it when I bought it and I drove it until it disintegrated.
Lee

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 12:33:57 -0400, "Lee Gordon"

Thanks! As you may remember, I LIKED that van! <G> The phone co, I work for used to sell trucks and vans to employees, but our current Texan parent no longer allows that. Used vehicles are sent off to the dealer auction.
Under the old ownership I hooked my FIL's asbestos and lead removal company up with 10 Chevy 35 12' cube vans, and many window vans and utility bodies over the years.
I'll research the State of CT auction.
Barry
Barry ...
<<As you may remember, I LIKED that van! <G> >>
As it turns out, it was a minor miracle that I made the trip from my house to yours and back without incident. A couple of weeks ago I drove over to Harris to buy some wood and when I went out to the parking lot it woulnd't start. All I got was that dead battery chattering sound. The guy who sold me my lumber came outside and gave me a jump start. I pulled around to the rear of the building, backed up the loading dock, and applied my parking brake. Unbeknown to me, the cable and brakes were severly rusted and became frozen in the engaged position. After the wood was loaded, I needed a second jump start to get going and threw the transmission into neutral at every red light and stop sign so I could rev the engine to keep it from stalling. About halfway from Manchester to West Hartford I started smelling something burning but I just kept moving. Miraculously, I did make it home and smoke was billowing from my rear wheels and continued to do so for about 20 minutes. In the next couple of days I dropped $125 at Pep Boys for a new voltage regulator and $850 at Papa's Dodge for new brakes. The transmission will just have to wait. Fortunately I was able to get the jointer out of the back before any of this adventure took place.
Lee