New unisaw...broken trunnion

Page 1 of 4
Well, saturday AM arrives and the truck rolls up with my new Unisaw, Unifence, and a Unigaurd. All the boxes look in good shape, except the mobile base box...but it appears fine after close inspection. I spend the day assembling the mobile base, getting two cast wings level, attaching the fence, and the Uniguard. My neighbor stops by and helps me put the finishing touches on. We go to place the blade insert in and note it doesn't fit. The blade appears to be in the way. Well..maybe they just didn't align it well at the factory. So I take a look to figure out how to adjust the blade alignment, and notice the front trunnion is broken. Uggh.
I call up Woodworkers Supply where the saw was ordered. The customer service guy doesn't really seem to know what to do in this case, so he notes it in my order and I'll call back monday to see what will happen after he talks to his manager. I really hope I don't have to install the front trunnion myself, and I'm not looking forward to dissassembling a days worth of work either. Uggh.
I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome. Wish me luck.
cb
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (cb) wrote:

Amazing! I thought this could only happen with Grizzly products, not a Unisaw.
On 15 May 2004 18:30:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (cb) wrote:

I hope your experience is unique, because I just ordered that saw (except with the Bies) from WWS, and the freight company says it'll be here Thursday. I've heard about Uni trunnions being broken in shipment, so that's the first thing I'm going to check.
I ordered a 17-925 drill press from WWS last summer and it showed up with a broken casting on the bottom of the column. When I called them up they were polite but they told me to call Delta directly. I got a very nice lady there and they shipped out a whole new column straight away. A year later, I don't even remember the days of frustration that I couldn't try out my new tool. You'll have the same experience.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed until Thursday. I hope yours turns out okay, too.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Having equipment shipped to you is definitely a crap shoot. Of the 2 large pieces I've received from out of town, 2 of of 2 were broken: a Powermatic 54a jointer and a router cabinet (the cabinet bottom was damaged by the inertia of the cabinet bouncing around on the casters). Both were replaced without question by the manufacturers. The next router cabinet was shipped without the wheels and the next jointer must have received a bit gentler treatment in transit. All I was out was the set up time (which isn't exactly inconsequential either!).
dave
LRod wrote:

I do not see your logic. A item is shipped to the dealer the same method it is shipped to the home. No? I think you ran into BAD luck.
Rich

it
No. Dealers get their heavy machinery usually delivered by tractor trailer and drivers using established loading and unloading procedures. Retail outfits use delivery agents with smaller trucks and much less experienced people. There's a big difference between using a forklift to load and unload something than dragging several hundred pounds of metal onto and off a lift gate.

Maybe, but it sounds like that bad luck is getting pretty common.
Ahhhh !!! I see said the Blind Man. I never had anything shipped direct utter than UPS, Fed Ex. ASSumptions, ASSumptions.
Dave, I stand Corrected !!
Rich
wrote in message news:tsHpc.51740>

unload
lift
too late; I already answered your previous post where you refuted my experience. Your change of heart is duly noted. :)
dave
RKON wrote:

My dealer gets broken Unisaws also. It is not just the problem with the freight company. Other brand tools get shipped with out as many broken trunnions.
Very true but if it arrives at the dealer broken, it's his problem. If it arrives at your shop and it's broken, it's yours.

it
Exactly. Let the dealer deliver the one to you that is not broken. Let him return the broken one.
BIG difference! IF you go to the loading dock of your local retailer and find obvious damage, you can ask to either get another unit (assuming they have another!) or open it up before bothering to take it home. OR, you can have them open the item and deliver it to your door. Either way, the chances of it being broken are less than if it just arrived from across the country. To break it down to simple terms for you (logic isn't your long suit, I take it?) by buying from a local dealer you are better able to weed out "just arrived in town and broken all to hell" equipment. So far I've had less damaged stuff that I have picked up from local dealers. Sorry you can't accept my experience. You just HAVE to argue with my experiences, don't you??
dave
RKON wrote:

Unique to Unisaw owners unfortunately. You have now heard about another Unisaw with a broken trunion this month, chances are that yours will arrive just fine.

I'd check before it is unloaded from the truck. It could save you some time if the unfortunate has happened.
cb wrote:

white space added for emphasis...
Is/was this guy new to the job? I mean, I keep hearing about Unisaws being delivered with broke trunnions. Has Woodworker's Supply been spared one these (doubtful onna 'count of the size of the company) deliveries?

Let's put it this way. You just spent $XXXX on a Unisaw. It hasn't been powered up. Sounds like it's never had a blade. It's not safe to run. It's a liability to the company that sold it and the company that made it.
Now, did you buy it knowing/expecting it to broken or did you buy something expecting it to be a saw?
UA100, who is wondering, why do I keep hearing about broke trunnions on Unisaws???

I hope he is new because the crap that retailers try to feed us is getting old.

Sorry to hear about you broken Unisaw CB. But...seems this happens way too often in particular with Unisaws. I don't believe it is all the freight company's fault since the Unisaw is about the only one that gets shipped with broken trunions.
You should also contact the trucking company, because if it is their fault you have a limited amount of time to claim "hidden damages", visible damages must be reported on the delivery slip when you sign for the item. "Hidden damages" can be claimed if reported within a fixed number of days. Cover yourself, and phone it in on Monday.

too
I tend to agree. If the trunions are breaking and nothing else is damaged, it sure sounds like a poorly engineered part.

too

Well I don't think poorly engineered so much as a loss of quality control. I don't think the trunnions have change much in the last 30 or 40 years, although I could be wrong here.
CB, I feel your pain. Same thing happened to me back in January. My retailer sent me another saw; I don't know what they worked out with Delta. You might as well start disassembling and re-crating the saw. Delta says the front trunnion (next to the handwheel) is not field replacable. It has to go to a shop. They offered to let me take it to a local repair facility, but they would have to order the trunnion and then schedule installation, so I opted for a new saw instead. But don't despair, it will be worth it. No other tool in my shop gives me as much pleasure every time I use it as my Unisaw w/Bies. Maybe that's because I cursed my old saw so long before I replaced it.
DonkeyHody "Even an old blind hog finds an acorn every now and then."