New Toys, including rare Delta 10" RAS! (w/pics)

Evening all,

Well, not having time to work on the kitchen has not prevented me from picking up a few new tools :).

I went to an auction a month or so ago and picked up real cheap this really cool Delta 10" Radial Arm Saw that is a least 50 years old, but looks brand new. It was made in Canada and even has a "Beaver" label on it. There is some sort of funky dado blade on it, but it runs well, just needs a table. Note that this is turret arm 10" RAS, I have never seen one of these before, only the 12"-18" were turret arms as far as I used to know (turret arm=pivots at end of arm). I don't really want or need a RAS, but this one is such a cool little time capsule, I might just have to keep it.

have always wanted a Oscillating Spindle Sander, but never really needed one. If and when I ever finish my folks kitchen, my plan is to make myself a nice dining room set and I thought this might come in use on the re-sawn chair backs. Or, at least that is how I am justifying to myself anyways :). USA made, 1/2 hp baldor motor, comes with dual link belts driving the spindle. It is larger than the photos in the catalogue made it look. I have an aluminium handled #7 (ever seen one of those before?) that I also picked up at auction on the table top for scale.

I have been doing so much sanding, in the interest in trying to breath a little less dust, I also picked up a little Delta AP100 air cleaner. For the few days I have been using it, I really like it.

many tools, so little time...

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

you were cutting some PVC piping with it

It does look like it came out of a capsule though. I recognize the style of the legs on the stand. Match those on my 60 year old Delta Rockwell bandsaw.

Enjoy!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

My neighbor has a similar RAS, but I think his is older. Seems to me his is a 9", but I may be mistaken. I should drag my camera over there and post a pic. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

That's a fine howdydo. Haven't seen you 'round in a while... an when you do return you gotta go and insult us all.

Now I was all about to jump up'n'down, asquealin' like a school girl when I saw those first few pics - then I lay my eyeballs on that Clayton

109 pic. Now I'm just sittin' here, not jumpin' up'n'down or asquealin'

- just confused. You finally use yer shirt tail? You got two cameras now Davey? Them signachur dust specks don't appear in any but the 109 pic. - 'supwifat?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:45:47 -0800, the inscrutable "David F. Eisan" spake:

You obviously don't have a LensPen, Davey. From $6.95USD at photo stores. GET ONE! They're really handy. A retractable soft brush is on one end and a chemically coated chamois is on the other. Fingerprints and dust are history around one. (std disclaimer applies, happy user)

-- Life's a Frisbee: When you die, your soul goes up on the roof. ----

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I used to have the same problem with underwater photography. The solution is to separate the light source from the lense. What is happening is that your flash is sending light out which is then flashed right back in the direction from which it came... and back into your lense. Offsetting your flash and illuminating at other than 90° angles to the subject should tame that snowstorm.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Hello there,

Ackshully, it is facing the correct direction, see the arrow on the blade cover? :).

I think I will make a table for it and use it for a while.

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Hello there,

Please take a pic and post it, I would be interested in seeing it.

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Dear Mr. Shims,

Well, it really isn't that I dunno how to clean off the camera lense, it is that if there is *any* dust in the air when I shoot a pic, it shows up as a snowflake.

Kitchen - No dust. RAS - Drove home in the back of my truck, no dust. Clayton 109 - Made buncha dust with it just before I took the shot. Air cleaner, - Duh, sucked up the dust.

I hope with the new Delta AP100, my foto's will look less like a Canukastani snow storm and more like foto's. :).

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

The pressure of the demands I must endure!! ( no problem! I'll try catch him this weekend!) Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Look again at the arrow - blade is on backwards...

Reply to
Stephen Young

I did, David. When I went back I looked hard at that arrow. Then I looked at the saw guard and realized that it very similar to the one on my 70's vintage Craftsman RAS. Then I realized that if that blade is correctly mounted, the only way you could cut would be to pull the carriage all the way towards the operator, slide the wood to be cut behind it, and then push the blade into the stock and pray you weren't doing a dado so it could whip that sucker back through your gut.

That's when I decided I had seen it correctly the first time

It's still a very nice example of the saw.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I'm not David. I can't understand your logic - that blade is on backwards. Have you used a RAS before?

Reply to
Stephen Young

David, pics are in ABPW of my neighbor's RAS. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

swung for miter cuts the end of it would move forward, at 45 degrees the saw would be in front of the fence.

Reply to
Frank Campbell

Reply to
Jim Behning

David,

If you want to buy a *real* radio alarm clock saw, I have one up on Ebay:

plug

Steve in St. Louis who *used* to have time for OWWM and making sawdust

Reply to
webstersteve

So whazup anyway? Family and life getting in the way of the more important things?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A-100