new toys!

Just took delivery of a General International 50-200R table saur and

17" drill press. New lathe coming in a cupla weeks.

I'm all teary-eyed. The first REAL saur I've ever owned! sniff...

And to top it off, one of the movers who delivered it wants me to do a fireplace mantle for him...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Congratulations!! Those General people stay on top of things are are very pleasant to dealt with.

Reply to
Robatoy

One of the best. I've often thought that if something happened to my Unisaw, a General International would be my next table saw.

Reply to
Swingman

She's assembled and aligned, but I have to rewire for 115 or run a 230 line to the shop... Dang. Wanted to make that first cut tonight.

But she's a thing of beauty. Christened "Babe".

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

-------------------------------- Congrats.

----------------------------------

----------------------------- Take a look at Norm's project on NYW.

Think you will like it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Considering the amout of money you spend on Festool products, I'd have thought that you'd have gone for a Canadian made General, not an international made one.

Reply to
Dave

I wo0led strongly recommend going with 230.

Reply to
Leon

What are the pros and cons, Leon?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Depending on your existing wiring, you may be able to switch to 230 for that circuit fairly easily (you did plan a separate circuit for the TS anyway right?). You only need two conductors plus ground, swap the outlet and the breaker, and mark the white with red marker or tape or both on both *ends* and you could be good to go.

Basically it buys you efficiency, less power loss on the circuit equals faster cleaner starts, the doubling of the voltage will also cut the current in approximately half, what is the HP of the motor and what gauge wire is there for the circuit.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

They are the same company, or used to be, and their 650, the table saw I would buy, is indeed Canadian made.

And yes, I do know the difference with the "international" part and should have left it out ... my fingers are faster than my mind these days :)

Reply to
Swingman

A lot of stuff available to them from Chaiwan simply won't do. Contrary to popular belief, I think you'll agree, the Taiwanese, for example, DO know how to make good stuff, you just have to stay on top of them to make sure they do... sortakinda like Detroit. All kinds of sjit came out of Detroit for the longest time, till Ford figured out that it wasn't working for them. I gave a friend's new Taurus the once- over and the Germans better start paying attention as it was clear that the short relationship with Volvo reaped Ford a lot of benefit. Doors that go 'click' instead of 'boing' 5 star collision ratings, not a hint of orange peel in the paint job, and an interior that just felt right. Nice work.

That 650 is a SAW! Hell, that thing passes the nickel test while the saw is in the truck during shipment!

They also make a pretty nice router. (Typical for them, they opted for the Italian Elte spindle, 220v 3=F8 when they could have bought Chaiwanese versions for half the price...just didn't measure up.)

Reply to
Robatoy

That's the saw I'll buy the same day I find an accessible workshop to rent or share. Only my 650 will be the 'Access' version which is shortened for height.

Reply to
Dave

Have the breaker installed and one end of the wire in the panel. Will run the line to the shop after the dog gets walked and supper is done.

230 ii is.
Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Pro, Faster motor starts, Less strain on the motor during heavy cutting, less voltage drop during heavy cutting. Plenty of available energy for the motor. This all assuming you go with the 20+ amps.

Con, You will need 230 to run it, where ever you are, Initial set up more expensive.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Another Pro argument is that once you install some kind of 230 capability in your shop, you have it available for other tools. You won't be as limited in your choices for tools. Anything with any kind of serious motor will require the higher voltage. You may find a good deal from a shop shutting down or upgrading their tools.

I know that is the slippery slope argument. You open the door with one higher voltage tool and then...

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Another pro with the 240v (Please, guys!) tools is that not everyone has 240 so used tools sometimes go for cheaper prices than 120v tools.

_Just_go_with_240v_!

It cost me under $100 to wire in 3 40A circuits in my shop, including romex, 25' extension cord wire for each of 3 tools, 3 twistlock L6-20 outlets, and 3 L6-20 plugs. I had spare breakers due to removing baseboard heaters (Ick! Pffffffft!) when I went with a 96% efficient forced-air HVAC system. Gawd, what a difference in comfort!

-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Pffffffft!) when I went with a 96% efficient

Sounds great!

::: jealous :::

Reply to
Bill

The old baseboard crap left stratified air in the winter:

My feet were at 55F and freezing. My knees were at 62F and cold. My butt was at 70F and jusssssssssssst right. My head was at 85F and sweating. The ceiling was hot enough to fry eggs on. (Just try it.) And the electric bill was higher than a mortgage. (If I had one.) It was the most gawdawful mess I've ever felt.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wired in, and running on 240... Passes the nickel test. First cut was to rip some 4/4 cedar. Beautiful smell, lovely cut.

Now to set up the new drill press!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Cost me about $75 Canuck bux, but $24 of that was for the friggin' breaker!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone