New tool, lots of questions.

Page 2 of 2

CW wrote:

Memory of what, exactly?
--

FF

Another Alzheimer's sufferer. How many are on this group?

CW wrote:

*I* don't remember any previous mention of an Alzheimer's sufferer.
--

FF

CW wrote: > Another Alzheimer's sufferer. How many are on this group?
How long is it going to take for you to figure out you are trying to piss up a rope?
Lew
Unless you want to do it right.

You are making yourself look like a fool. Any idiot, which you obviously are, could see why everyone should reply in the same fashion so posts maintain a chronological order. Since the VAST MAJORITY of Usenet posters bottom post, then logic says you should too.
Unless you are suggesting that the rest of the world should change for you?
I think you are just an inconsiderate jerk who doesn't care if your laziness inconveniences others.
I can just sense the blood pressure rising.

I think he is just being sarcastic.

After all was said and done, this exchange finally made me laugh.
Thanks for the entertainment, guys!
wrote in message

Glad I could contribute to the group. :)
Finally. :)
wrote in message

If you like being ignorant of proper usenet etiquette, there isn't much I can do about that. At least I tried to educate you.
But even if you don't understand why you should post that way, out of courtesy to others, you should conform to long standing protocol. You know, the whole "When in Rome..." thing.
But pretending that YOU are right while 95% of the other people on usenet are wrong, is somewhat pompous in my opinion.

Read this: http://www.xs4all.nl/%7ewijnands/nnq/nquote.html
CW wrote:
Absolutely agree.
CW wrote:

You have to do what once per thread?
Bottom posting doesn't force you to scroll through every article, only the text that has eben quoted by the current author. When I do that, I glance through the text so that when I arrive at the new text I understand the context.
--

FF

MikeMac wrote:> After getting it rounded off, I noticed that:

It sounds like you're turning a long thin spindle. When the L/D gets over about 15 the center of the spindle starts to whip (like a jumprope--first dynamic mode of instability). to put more pressure (until your live center turns at the same speed as the wood, as previously mentioned) you will increase this vibration. To turn long thin spindles like this you have to strike a happy medium by doing one or more of the following, and it gets harder the longer your spindle becomes:
a. make it so the tailstock is slightly looser, but this isn't the best choice, as your piece will then vibrate on the spindle cone and cause a rough surface.
b. hold the spindle steady as you turn, either with your hand, as many old style turners do, or using a steady rest. The steady rest takes a lot more time, and it's often easier to use the hand that is at the tip of the tool to kind of hold the piece steady as it spins. The way many turners do this, they put their left thumb on the tool tip and the four pads of fingers rest on the spinning spindle. This really is only helpful and safe once the wood is close to round, or at least octagonal with rounded corners from your first tool pass.
Roughing out the spindle can be made easier by starting with a straight tool edge and scraping away a few mm at a time, making each cut round before you take off the next few mm. Trying to use a cutting action with a nonround part is going to take longer and be more frustrating when you're just beginning.
c. I have had great success turning long spindles (L/D>30) with a short, very low angle hand plane held in one hand and the second hand on the opposite side of the spindle, holding only the flat of my hand.
Again, you should start with a scraper to make the whole thing round before you try cutting with a plane, and use the plane only to make it smooth and cut a fair, straight line. Using a plane, press the shoe flat against the cylinder to be cut, blade edge perpendicular to the axis of rotation so it's not cutting and slowly change the angle of the plane until it just takes off the smallest finest curl of wood, and then be patient. I find the best angle is around 20-45 degrees from perpendicular. Take many passes like this and you can get a glassy smooth finish as good as a skew or better, but with less vibration because the piece is supported.
When I use a hand plane for long spindles, I don't use a tool rest. It seems like it will help you support the plane, but I think it adds a high risk of seriously pinching fingers between the wood and the tool rest.

Leo's answer is correct on this. More info: some lathes have adjustments for that problem. Mine only has a side to side adjustment, so if they're off up and down, I have to shim the headstock until they're the same height.
Less than a mm, you'll never notice the diff unless you're turning with a geared & indexed tool rest. If I get it under 1/8" (2-3 mm) I'm happy.
<snip>

Ya just gotta love that any and all part... :-) Kinda like the part of my job description that says "and other duties as assigned"...
Ah the faithful and the flighty you get em all on here. One of my favorites is the on going battle of Top post/bottom post... Just a bit more entertaining than the Church of "I hate Crapsman"....
But enough of that... I'm a lathe dabbler myself and I've learned thru trial and error and input from here and other sources. Any time you pick up a new tool it does help to seek advice from somebody who's done it. The posts above cover anything I could share from my limited book o knowledge.
One thing I'll rehash is the face shield (and you may already have one and use it faithfully) but we can never cover safety enough. That and loose shirts or hair. I was wearing a long sleeve shirt one winter day with the cuffs open and loose while working on the lathe. Let's just say it was almost an educational experience.
Have fun, try different stuff, and don't be afraid to ask for help on the rec... You just have to ignore the crankier ones occasionally... ;-)