New tool, lots of questions.

Read this:

Locutus

Absolutely agree.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Your memory is that short? I'm sure you have found workarounds to deal with your handicap. Good for you.

If you had posted correctly, at the top, there wouldn't be that problem.

No, it isn't. Keep practicing, you'll get it right.

Reply to
CW

You have to do what once per thread?

Bottom posting doesn't force you to scroll through every article, only the text that has eben quoted by the current author. When I do that, I glance through the text so that when I arrive at the new text I understand the context.

Reply to
fredfighter

Memory of what, exactly?

Reply to
fredfighter

If you like being ignorant of proper usenet etiquette, there isn't much I can do about that. At least I tried to educate you.

But even if you don't understand why you should post that way, out of courtesy to others, you should conform to long standing protocol. You know, the whole "When in Rome..." thing.

But pretending that YOU are right while 95% of the other people on usenet are wrong, is somewhat pompous in my opinion.

Reply to
Locutus

Another Alzheimer's sufferer. How many are on this group?

Reply to
CW

*I* don't remember any previous mention of an Alzheimer's sufferer.
Reply to
fredfighter

CW wrote: > Another Alzheimer's sufferer. How many are on this group?

How long is it going to take for you to figure out you are trying to piss up a rope?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There's one big difference between lathes and saws.

With my saw, I avoid doing dangerous stuff. A "competent" sawyer is one who can (pretty much) simply not have bad things happen to them.

With a lathe I march straight into the worst case accidents and I keep doing them -- I turn poorly balanced green wood, poorly supported and likely to split or burst. I just don't know any way to avoid this (If I'm going to keep using rough logs).

So my primary safety measure for the table saw is knowledge, but my primary safety measure for the lathe is about _expecting_ the accident and being sufficiently well armoured to survive it (and standing to one side whenever possible).

As Conover said, "don't hold anything in a jam chuck that you're afraid to be hit on the head with".

Not very well though. You're much better off with some of the other basic turning texts (I'd suggest Rowley's "Woodturning: A Foundation Course" or even Conover's "The Lathe Book" in preference). Frid's description is accurate, but it's terse and he doesn't emphasise a few things that really need emphasis for beginners. Rub that bevel before lifting the gouge up to cut! -- Although he does stress the evils of over-reliance on scrapers, the usefulness of the skew, and the vital importance of learning a planing cut from the start.

Reply to
dingbat

Unless you want to do it right.

Reply to
CW

You are making yourself look like a fool. Any idiot, which you obviously are, could see why everyone should reply in the same fashion so posts maintain a chronological order. Since the VAST MAJORITY of Usenet posters bottom post, then logic says you should too.

Unless you are suggesting that the rest of the world should change for you?

I think you are just an inconsiderate jerk who doesn't care if your laziness inconveniences others.

Reply to
TBM

I can just sense the blood pressure rising.

Reply to
CW

After all was said and done, this exchange finally made me laugh.

Thanks for the entertainment, guys!

Reply to
Mark Fitzsimmons

Glad I could contribute to the group. :)

Reply to
Locutus

I think he is just being sarcastic.

Reply to