New tool idea (possibly)...

I have my own idea that someone might want to make, something like a router table perfectly square and large. In the center, mounted underneath, is a zip saw with the blade coming up through... or an electric motor of high RPM with zip-type blade adapted to it with a very small hole for the blade, sawdust protection for the top motor openings . Two miter tracks (removable and edge securable flush infills) in the table crosswise, and edge/externally mounted single or double fence system (crosswise) so mounting adapter hardware would not interrupt the table work area.

This tool would replace a table saw and a scroll saw (much more freedom than...), and a band saw for thinner woods, maybe up to 3" thick depending on available sizes of zip-type of blades... the motor *could* be a high-end DC type with variable speed capability (needs a controller and electronic board) but that would be seriously costly. There are AC motors that get between

3,000 and 4,000 RPM, and belted system with drill press (multi-step) pullies for multiple speeds would work as well which would require a bearing system at blade mounting, offset motor and its mounting. I think the table would have to be a cabinet with walls and doors, maybe even with sound insulation as high-rpm motors do scream. Cast iron table top.

This tool would be extremely dangerous to *fingers*. What does anyone think about it? Any *positive* opinions on this idea? Does it already exist?

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

sounds like my pin router with the top arm removed bob

Reply to
Minorite

Yeah... with my idea there be no overhead arm. Close to a router table. Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

You are suggesting a router table with a 1/8" collet to take zip saw bits. I don't use scroll saws much, so I don't know if it would be useful there, but it would be pretty useless in place of a tablesaw; the feed rate would be unbearably slow.

Reply to
toller

underneath,

Sounds like the router table for the Dremel tool. IMO< it would have limited use and I doubt it would replace a real saw. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski