New tool idea -- need your opinions! (Hint: one machine instead of a planer AND A jointer)

Page 3 of 3

So, if the stock isn't being moved over/under whatever is removing material and thus no feed roller and no pinch roller, than the wood is held fixed and the wood remover must move (assuming no light saber/ sabre).
There are handheld bandsaws as well as miter saw type versions. The ones I'm aware of have fixed "throats" and limited to maybe 6 inches - but that could be modified. So a small bandsaw mill set up meets some of the criteria - familiar to most woodworkers, no feed and pinch rollers, no kickback, parallel faces, no tear out, replacement cutting medium in the $20-40 range . . .
Hmmm - most furniture parts are seldom longer than four feet and boards much wider than 8 inches and pretty flat are getting hard to come by and this thing doesn't seem to require an outfeed table but will require some platform to hold the stock ...
It's the $250-450 price point.
Interesting puzzle. Will do fretboards and will handle ebony....
In Silly Cone Vally e? I'm over in the Cambrian area of san jose. If you need a beta tester at some point, my e-mail address is real.
charlie b
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 07:29:12 -0800, charlie b wrote:

"Bandsaw mill" -- nice guess (as it turns out, way off base, but based on my lightsaber analogy, a pretty darn reasonable guess). The only major problem with that guess is the smooth-finish part -- even with the best blades I've bought, my bandsaw still gives me a finish that needs to go straight to the (80-grit) belt sander.
You put a cart before a horse in the first bit -- just because it doesn't use a conventional feed/pinch roller doesn't mean it doesn't have ANY feed mechanism. The light saber is fixed; the wood moves through/under it.
I don't mean to be playing cat-and-mouse -- it's just that I need to avoid publicly disclosing the actual key invention bits, but I DO want to answer folks' reasonable objections when I'm asking "hey, wouldja buy something that did X without doing Y and cost $Z?" (Otherwise, most of the responses are "well, it can't do X!")
Yep, I'm up in Belmont, about 10 miles south of SFO (right below the 92, about halfway between 280 and 101). Used to live in Los Gatos (pronounced "Lass Gaddis" by the blonde enhanced shopping-wives who live there), but the LOML works up in The City so we hadta go north.
Once I have a proof-of-concept built, I'll definitely drop you a line. My good friend, tool-making and woodworking buddy, is finally getting back from Hawaii and being assigned to Monterey (he's a keptin in the Army, so perhaps we could all get together and make dust, drink beer, and swear, sometime, if our wives let us.
Andrew
Mon, Nov 21, 2005, 1:57pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (StevePeterson) doth sayeth: <snip> Your patent has to be useful, but it also has to be novel <snip> Never heard the part about a patent having to be useful.
Once worked with an officer who had gotten a patent. For a stand to hold a helmet, so it could be filled with water, for shaving, washing. Portable, lightweight, collapsible, took up little spacee, etc. And, absolutely no market whatsoever for it. He'd figured he'd make a fortune, selling it to the military. Turned out, no one wanted to use it; handier to dig a small hole in the ground to hold the helmet, set them on tailgates, have a buddy hold it, etc., plus not having to take it down, and stow it. Only cost him about $10,000 (ten thousand) U.S. dollars.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
useful doesn't actually mean anyone has to want to use it. arcane patent law.
(Steve Peterson) doth sayeth: <snip> Your patent has to be useful, but it also has to be novel <snip> Never heard the part about a patent having to be useful.
Once worked with an officer who had gotten a patent. For a stand to hold a helmet, so it could be filled with water, for shaving, washing. Portable, lightweight, collapsible, took up little spacee, etc. And, absolutely no market whatsoever for it. He'd figured he'd make a fortune, selling it to the military. Turned out, no one wanted to use it; handier to dig a small hole in the ground to hold the helmet, set them on tailgates, have a buddy hold it, etc., plus not having to take it down, and stow it. Only cost him about $10,000 (ten thousand) U.S. dollars.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
Buddy Matlosz wrote:

Buddy,
Thanks for the advice.
Way back as a wee lad, I used to run workshops for inventors, for the SBA and the SBDCs in a western state. I also have a Wharton MBA, most of a law degree in intellectual property, and a lawyer father. Finally -- I work in the Shark Tank of Silicon Valley as a marketing executive.
SO -- I know ALL about patents, inventions, and disclosure. I have a great law firm. And -- I haven't ACTUALLY "broadcast my idea all over usenet", if you look at it carefully. >;-)
I've definitely asked people about whether they're interested in WHAT my widget CAN do.
What I haven't done is describe HOW it does it. And therein, as the Bard said, lies the rub.
Best wishes, though, and thanks for your concern, seriously! Andrew

Hey, no prob. Always happy to help a newbie. Think I'll crawl back in my hole now.
B.