New tool

Looks like this might be good to use for trimming wood trim flush with counter tops. Wish I'd had that when I was doing counter tops.

Leon

That IS nice! I made a jig to do that same thing, but I like that much better. It takes us less room and is more flexible that mine, too.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Not I, said the pig ...

There's a damned good reason he started, and finished, before the ends of the work piece.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, but the point is that it is easier to hold the router square to the counter top.

Am I missing something here?

Reply to
Leon

Big honkin' router to take off 1/16" of 3/4" material?

Kind of why god, in her infinite wisdom, made the Bosch Colt ... ;)

IME, having trimmed thousands of liner feet of banding on counter tops and shelving material with a flush trim bit, the most difficult area to get a clean cut, without a tendency to tip, is at both the start and finish of a horizontal cut.

My bet that is why they did not show a full length cut for that very reason. AAMOF, you can clearly see the shaky, non-square start, despite being well away of the end.

Despite that piece of pipe, I want gravity working in my favor, much more control that way, IME.

But, hell after all, it was designed by a "cabinetmaker", so it must be great, eh?

Bonjour! lol

And from FastCap, no less, another master of solutions looking for a problem. :)

Bah, humbug.

Reply to
Swingman

Or edge banding.

Reply to
krw

HAHA!! This guy up there, sheesh. You Grinch, you. :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

What am I missing? I agree with Karl. With the "aid" mounted at the out edge of the router base it will provide stability right up to the edge. He started in a bit and moved the router to avoid a climb cut. He could slowly move closer, in a climb cut, to get it right to the edge. He was prohibited from completing the trimming as he pulled the router towards himself by 1) the clamp holding the workpiece down and 2) the "aid" being on the wrong side of the cut. Both of these impediments are correctable and I think that with care he could trim that edging flush from end to end. I'm also thinking that it would not be difficult to jerry rig an "outrider" like that yourself.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Er, ah, strike that! I meant that I agree with Leon. Karl, you ARE a grinch

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

The aid comes in keeping the router square to the edge. One problem with doing this procedure is the very small surface the router base has to ride on. With practice and a smaller router (ie; Karl's Bosch Colt suggestion) this isn't that necessary. But for those simpletons still walking around this world with a single router like myself, having a fence or other guide to help keep the router perpendicular to the cutting surface sure helps a lot.

I'm not sure of the guy in the video was putting it to its best use, but I can see how it would help accomplish the goal.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The lipper can be on the lead or trail position. Let it trail when coming towards the end of the run. AND FWIW I was wishing I had it for counter tops that I have added trim to in the past. No clamps in the way.

Reply to
Leon

Actually ;~)

BILL! Are you watching? ;!)

Festool uses a similar approach at about 10:30 in the video.

Leon

And likewise the DeWalt laminate kit. I remember when you got the Colt and we were comparing notes. DeWalt just happened to have their router kit on sale that had almost all the different guides, and hardware needed to do e verything laminate. I got the DeWalt because of what the kit came with, bu t also the readily available roller guides, etc.

Yup.

Yup.

Part of my job for a few years was to make laminate tops from scratch (we u sed 3/4" Doug pine it was so long ago!!) and the guy that taught me worked out every detail so you didn't paint yourself in a corner with your edging and trimming. With the details properly thought out (remember... we didn't have trim routers 40 years ago...) a plain router and laminate trimmer sho uld be all you need.

I agree with Karl, that looked like a solution looking for a problem. I tr uly doubt it works that well.

Robert (Grinch #2)

Reply to
nailshooter41

I'm far from an expert, and more so that of Swingman, and even I saw this as a gimmick and agree with SM. I've done enough trim routing and never find it difficult to hold the router square.

Reply to
Meanie

I wonder if the scratch on the veneer is from this gizmo... ??

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Obviously a trim router would be the tool of choice and like Robert indicated there were none of those around 25-30 years ago. But this accessory is a heck of a lot less expensive than a trim router if you don't have one. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Make up yer mind, whichever way the wind blows, eh ...

Reply to
Swingman

Stop the presses!

I found exactly who will need that appliance:

ps9rseghcb.jpg.html

Note the technique. Holding the guide bearing off the surface leaving it n othing to ride on or "guide" is a method I am not familiar with. I'll bet if he would pop one of those guides on that machine he would get a lot bett er cut trying to freehand like the picture than he would using only one. W ho needs a guide bearing on a flush cut bit anyway?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41