New Tool

Page 4 of 4
Chrisgiraffe wrote:

It looks like it would be worth it just for jigs, but I'm not sure it would replace my metal tape. I recently made the shopnotes thin strip ripping jig, and I only need 1.5" of a 12" adhesive rule at $7. I couldn't bring myself to spend that much and just cut off the first 1.5".
Greg M

Hi Greg. I agree. I don't plan on throwing my metal tapes to the wind. Red Tape is not a wonder-tool, no tool can be, but it does have certain applications it works well for. I have Starrett metal adhesive tape (which I love) on a couple of jigs but never cared for the price or limiting factors (as you mentioned, buy a 6' roll just to cut off the first 1.5")- especially if it's just a quick make-do jig that I may use for one project then toss.
Thanks for the valuable comments.

Just a quick follow up. The Red Tape website is fully up, corrected (thank you for the feedback and suggestions) and ready for orders. Rolls are priced at $6.50.
Thanks again for the helpful suggestions to all!

I placed a small order. Just 2 rolls. Questions: My zip (07410) is outside Georgia. Why was I charged sales tax?
I thought I was using my MC directly, but there seems to be a charge through PayPal. How does that work? I'm not charged twice I hope.
Looking forward to the tape, but I will have to get me a dispenser <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han

Probably not the correct answer but a valid one in some instances, if he has representation in your state, if his product is being sold in stores in your state, most states will require charging sales tax for that state. PayPal may be in your state and be part of that equation.
Amazon has a large facility in Texas and purchases shipped out of state from that facility have a sales tax.
Actually in Texas for example every one is liable to pay a "tax" on goods regardless of where the goods were purchased if you bring the goods back to Texas. This particular "Use Tax", not sales tax is just an example of hundreds of taxes that are very often technically owed but not paid. I be surprised if other states have similar taxes.
Leon wrote:

If we banded together, we could put an end to this nonsense.
What if a thousand people per day sent notes to the state comptroller, all with the message:
"I bought something online for $5.00. Here's my "use tax" of thirty cents. Enclosed please find a quarter and a nickle."
Or
"I got a package of birthday cookies from Aunt Fiona. The dog wouldn't even sniff 'em. Nevertheless, I'm enclosing my state "Use Tax" based on their estimated worth. There's a penny in the envelope. Please forward a receipt.

Actually, I know some one very very personaly ;~) that sees that happen every day. They would be glad to take your money. And uh, you would owe 41 cents. ;:)

See above answer. You would have to fill out the paper work for the payment and that is a lot of trouble, more trouble than the point you were trying to make would be worth. AND, IIRC if the paperwork is not proper the payment or overage would go into the general accounts fund.

You'd probably get more attention if you all sent cheques for that thirty cents. I was doing some business once with a lawyer working at the time with a law firm. He went on his own and I went with him. The firm sent me a cheque for $0.05 cents just to ensure their books were balanced. I never cashed the cheque just to irritate them for being so anal.
Upscale wrote:

Yep. I paid cash for an emergency room visit at the hospital for whom I worked. In the fullness of time, I received a statement:
Emergency room ..... $30.00 Payment....................$30.00 -
Pay this amount: $0.00
Inasmuch as I had to wait to get on the computer once each week while they printer about 30,000 zero-balance statements, I retaliated by sending them a check for zero dollars and zero cents.
Then I fussed at them for not cashing it.
Satisfying, but ultimately futile.

Hi Han, I noticed the tax charge this morning and refunded the taxes ($.78). I'm reviewing the code this morning to make sure the US Domestic buttons aren't applying the GA state tax and that the GA resident buttons are.
Sincerely,
Chris

My bad. Turns out it was a page design fault. the GA state only buttons are so close to the non-GA residents buttons that the GA state button was hit by accident. I'm fixing the button spacing so that it's less confusing. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and sincere apologies you had trouble with the page.
-Chris

The order page is fixed. Rather than move the buttons I simply deleted them and integrated GA state sales tax into the shopping cart (automatic calculation). Once again, thanks for pointing it out so that I could make a much more user friendly web page. :-)
-Chris

As indicated by email, you're very welcome, Chris.
And to those who suggest payment of use taxes the following: NJ charges use taxes on internet orders. It's a Royal PITA to have to chase these things down, and I do want to pay close to my fair share. I need to pay use taxes to NJ, though, not to Georgia.
--
Best regards
Han