New Tool

Page 2 of 4

And now, thanks to Doug, another promising invention is lost forever to the didn't-I-see-that-in-some-thread? wasteland.

Hehehehe. Hopefully I will get the word out in more than just an internet forum. I was just testing the water to see what real woodworkers think. It's easy to get friendly feedback from family and friends but I'd rather have guys shoot it to me straight. Detours don't bother me as long as they pass a few fun spots.

I don't mean to rain on your parade and hope I'm not, but after initial delight in a new idea by an obvious original thinker, I'm having second thoughts. Just what would be a good application for your measuring adheasive tape that would justify the expense over any other measurng option? I recall one respondent claiming it was such a good idea, he needed it now, but he never elaborated.
I'm having a diffucult time imagining any practical use. OTOH, I'm such a rank noob at woodworking, I don't even qualify as a novice and there are many aspect to it I'm sadly ignorant of, hence lack the experience to see how your tape might be of help. I'd be happy to be enlightened. ;)
nb
I bought the similar tapes at a flea market in Florida. They were made of paper with a self adhesive back and were only marked in quarters. I mounted one on each side of the blade on my chop saw. I did the same think on the fence on my drill press. When you want a handful of 3x3 somethings it sure is easy - no marking, everything the same. Many little projects look better with holes evenly spaced, easy to accomplish on my drill press, again with no lay out.
If these tapes are of a higher quality material that won't get rubbed away in use, they could well be worth a very low cost. For more accurate work, there are full length self adhesive tapes for Biesemier, etc. They run $20 ish.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
writes:

IIRC, there was a discussion of stretch in the Tips section.

It did say on the site that you need to be careful not to stretch it.
"I wonder if they stretch during handling and installation? I can see a false sense of accuracy and security if they do... looked at the web site but didn't notice anything about that characteristic. Could have over looked it though. "
They handle as well as metal tapes and, just like metal tapes, they can give inaccurate results if used improperly (i.e. spooling from the bumper of a Corvette traveling at 60MPH is very likely to stretch it out.)
In my tests it has taken quite a bit of force to stretch them to a point where they will not return to their original shape so the answer is "no", they will not be stretched out of shape during normal handling and installation. The best way to apply is with a standard packaging tape dispenser, pressing the tape downward to the surface as the tape is unrolled. I do give proper application recommendations on the 'tape tips' page.

My woodworking experience moves me to do my best to select the proper tool for the proper application. I don't think a direct replacement of hard measuring devices (rulers, metal tape) is practical for all applications. However, For curves, corners or very long lengths (plywood, for example), I think it excels. In a plywood application this would reduce tearout while providing a very true straight line with very little set up. Also, there are instances where you need to change your measurements/marks. You would never need to change using this tape. It can also serve as a very inexpensive alternative to starrett permanent tapes for jigs. It is just as accurate at a significantly lower cost. Someone else mentioned how this might aid layout for a series of holes. As it includes both perpendicular and parallel lines it can be used for all types of quick layouts. Wrapping it once around a board will tell you if you have true 90 degree angles because it's length should equal the sum of the sides if you are- unless you're cutting a nice trapezoid.
These are some uses, I'm sure there are others I haven't considered, but I'm not trying to suggest this will replace certain tools. Its purpose is to fill a gap I found while woodworking.

Same here.

You really should seek therapy over your obsession with me. It's unhealthy.

unhealthy.
I'm obsessed that you're a lying, whining, asshole? Well, you could be right, but since you're the only lying, whining asshole that I know of, I don't have anyone else to compare to so I can find out if it's just a natural inclination against every lying, whining asshole or directed specifically against you.
On Jun 7, 10:26am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

*Stands up and applauds yet another major contribution from Fuckface (I really-don't-have-much-to-do-but-whine) Miller*
Doug Miller wrote:

Not to worry.
The basic Law of Apostrophe Conservation states that for every improper "its" there's a corresponding misuse of "it's".
Just remember the rule: "Its give me fits" (it's a rhyming rule, but can be used as commentary.)
On Jun 7, 9:07am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

If only I had the money to hire a guy like you to check things like that for me. I'll admit, I was asleep the day they taught punctuation in grade school and it has pestered me since. You should see my misuse of commas. Actually, you shouldn't, it'd give you nightmares.
Sincerely though, thank you for catching that. I will make a revision.

Tell you what -- I'll review the entire site for punctuation, spelling, grammar, etc. in exchange for a few rolls of that tape. Deal?
email me if you're interested: doug at milmac dot com

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Ignore him Chris. I'm a technical writer by trade. If you like, I'll look through your website for free without recompense.
If Miller really had your well being at heart, he would have responded to you privately about the spelling error. He was only seeking some perverse type of attention when he mentioned it publicly.
"Upscale" wrote:

I used to tell the tech writers the ultimate test of a good tech writer was to hard a copy of their work to wife/girlfriend or someone else who knew nothing about the material, and ask them to read.
If the gals understood the material, it was a mark of work well done.
If they didn't, it was back to the rewrite table.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Hard a copy"?
Did the tech girls know what you were talking about? Did they re-write it? Did they send it off to a lay person to check for comprehension?

That would be a good test for the beginner. One of the things I learned early on as a technical writer was that there were three types of people to write for ~ the beginners, the experienced users and the experts. Each expects information to be disseminated in a certain way.