New To WW - What Is With All The Norm Bashing?

Page 6 of 6
Silvan wrote:

Maybe I'm mis remembering, I thought it was a collaboration.

Yep, "Ringworld" is Niven alone.
Back on topic: Norm got me into wood working. And even my father-in-law, a retired finish carpenter, watches him.

-- Tom Royer Lead Engineer, Software Test The MITRE Corporation 202 Burlington Road Bedford, MA 01730 Voice: (781) 271-8399 Cell: (978) 290-2086 FAX: (781) 271-8500 snipped-for-privacy@mitre.org
"If you're not free to fail, you're not free." --Gene Burns

collaboration. well under Larry Niven's usual standards.

great stuff.
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 18:06:54 -0500, Silvan

Niven-Pournelle.
On the one hand, it's a sequal.
On the other hand, it's by authors I enjoy.
The gripping hand is that it's a good book for a number of reasons. Well worth reading, imo.

Just Niven iirc. He also wrote the Gateway books.
On Sat 13 Dec 2003 10:20:53p, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote in

Well... an absolutely immovable, completely undamageable wall, yes. Then all the energy would be absorbed by the car and none by the wall. If the wall takes any damage, then the car absorbs less, so a head-on would do more damage because both cars absorb all the energy.
To get back on the Off Topic topic, I've been in chats and watched interviews with quite a few SF writers, and Harlan Ellison has had my vote for most arrogant and conceited for quite some time now. I guess Pournelled is up there but nowhere near the top.
Dan
Dan wrote:

A SF writer came ot my university. I don't remember who, 1977 was quite awhile ago. The phrase he kept using during his talk was, "I give good reading." I don't know if he was successful in spending "quality time" with one or more coeds. Jerk.
-- Mark
In rec.woodworking

All that is assumed in the thought experiment. It is also assumed that the cars are identical in size, shape and weight and meet exactly head on, bumper to bumper.
I think we all realize these circumstances are hard to meet in real life. Most head ons are NOT direct hits and not all of the energy is immediately dissipated because the cars will spin past each other. Unfortunately, because the drivers are both to the inside lane, they usually catch the brunt of it anyway in those headlight to headlight crashes.

I always found Pournelle to be tedious, particularly compared to Poul Anderson, Roger Zelazny, Robert Heinlein (in his earlier years before he became a dour, intolerant curmudgeon), or even Keith Laumer.
Don't you like Andy Rooney either?
Those are some mighty strong adjectives you are tossing about.
dave
Mark & Juanita wrote:
snip

That would be Dr. Jerry Pournelle, who got into Sci Fi by serving as Robert Heinlein's technical resource.
Who wrote "The Strategy of Technology" which was THE book the War College used to teach command staff how to fight a cold war?
Who retired from aerospace engineering to write science fiction?
IOW, he IS, exactly a rocket scientist, albeit a retired one.
Great, can he build a blanket chest?
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:50:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@pentek.com (Charles Krug) wrote:

So is Steve Bennett !
<<That would be Dr. Jerry Pournelle, who got into Sci Fi by serving as Robert Heinlein's technical resource.
Who wrote "The Strategy of Technology" which was THE book the War College used to teach command staff how to fight a cold war?
Who retired from aerospace engineering to write science fiction?
IOW, he IS, exactly a rocket scientist, albeit a retired one.>>
Since this thread has drifted to a discussion of sci-fi writers, I would like to point out that the editor of a well known woodworking trade publication has also written a couple of sci-fi novels and had a number of other stories included in sci-fi anthologies.
Lee