New To WW - What Is With All The Norm Bashing?

Page 5 of 6
Hi Chuck
That's is why I said 99.8% and not 100%. Yes there are things done on TV that do make for good threads on pro's and con's but, unfortunately, digging them out of the load of bashing for the sake of being cool just isn't worth the effort.I started filtering all such threads back when there was a month long debate on which DIY hostess had the nicest ass. Granted that was an. extreme low point but not by much.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

I happen to like Pournelle. His stuff isn't nearly as good as Larry Niven's, but I just picked up 3 more Niven/Pournelle books at the Leebrary today. Together, they're GREAT!
I believe Byte is still being put out and Pournelle is still writing for them. It was a very good mag for awhile there. I read it a few years back when I was still doing hardware sales.
http://www.byte.com/ (Yup, he's still there.)
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:35:57 +0000, Larry Jaques wrote:

Niven and Pournelle's "Inferno" is a good one.
-Doug
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:38:58 GMT, Doug Winterburn
I finished "Ringworld", then "Ringworld Engineers" last month. Then I found "The Mote in God's Eye" (excellent also) and Jerry's "King David's Spaceship" (fairly good but not up to par with Larry's solo work or their team efforts.)
Today I brought home "A World Out Of Time", "Oath of Fealty" and "The Smoke Ring". "Trees" and a couple others are left. I'm trying to read those I can find locally in order of their writing.
I cleaned up the shop tonight and am going to paint the bleeding wall with some of the Kilz2 tomorrow morning. That guy must have smoked his cigars out there for decades, I swear. Anyway, THEN I can build some cabinets and find the rest of my tool and get to work on one/some/all of the projects I've been putting off.
Maybe even the low^Hvely bow saur.
========================================================= I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com --Socrates + Web Application Programming
If you liked Mote, then get "Gripping Hand", the sequel.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
In rec.woodworking

Back before the internet boom, I was on GEnie Online Network. It was a CompuServe, AOL competitor. Pournelle had his own forum and often posted. He was an arrogant asshole and didn't like the time I proved him wrong publicly in a very simple physics problem.
If you're curious, he originally stated that a head on collision, identical cars, both traveling at 50mph, was the same as hitting a brick wall at 100mph. Wrong. It is the same as hitting a brick wall at 50mph.
Bruce wrote:

impact (I guess), but a fly on the front bumper would get 50 mph from two ways. ;-)
-- Mark
On Sat 13 Dec 2003 06:56:19p, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote in

Eh? You're saying that the energy released in two cars colliding head on is the same as in one car hitting a stationary wall?
I'm willing to go with the fact that it's not the same as hitting a wall at 100 miles an hour, but I'm having trouble with the "same as 50" part. Yes, each car is decelerating from 50 to 0 very suddenly, but there's an awful lot more momentum involved when both objects are traveling, and I can't believe there's no difference.
Lemme hunt a bit here... ah. http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae119.cfm
In rec.woodworking

LOL, I knew this would get it started. No, I'm not saying that. There is exactly TWICE as much energy released. Fortunately, it is released between 2 cars so each car sees exactly what it would see if it it a wall at 50mph.
When Pournelle realized his mistake, be tried to cover his ass by saying that the collision with the other car would be more dangerous because of flying whiskey bottles and glass and stuff. Talk about lame.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 04:20:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote:

Flying whisky bottles are a serious hazard in Pournelle's world.
BTW - He popped up in Dr Dobbs recently. Hope that's not a regular column - damned waste of paper.
Andy Dingley wrote:

While I always found his computer-related writing rather clueless, I like a number of Niven/Pournelle novels. I no longer read much fiction, and I'm more likely to read something old and familiar than something new that might be a waste of time. "The Legacy of Heorott" (I probably spelled that wrong) is one of my all-time A #1 numero uno favorites.
That and "Ender's Game." (Card, yes, I know. I was just pondering.)
In rec.woodworking

Who wrote Footfall? That was damn good.
Bruce wrote:

Niven/Pournelle... The shaft was 50 makaskrupkith in length and all that... Yeah, that one's on my list too. (No idea if I spelled "makaskrupkith" right, but knowing me, I probably did. It's only the nrmoal worsd I splel wrnog.)
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 15:22:22 -0500 (EST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote:

This book gave me nightmares when I was a teenager. <G>
Barry
T. wrote:

Lucifer's Hammer... Wow, that's one I haven't thought about in a long time.
Haven't read Discworld, no idea what it is.
I don't read sci-fi much anymore. Usually either howto books or thrillers set in contemporary society. Especially forensic/medical stuff, like Robin Cook and that guy who writes the Lincoln Rhyme novels.
I don't read at all much anymore though. Reading's not much better than TV as a form of active entertainment. I prefer to produce something. Written words, source code, drawings, paintings, wooden items.... Books next, and then TV dead last.
If people had books on CD instead of books on tape, I might listen to books while driving, but the last time I spent any time looking around inside a truckstop (admittedly years ago) they were all on tape only. No tape player. Tapes sound like crap anyway.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:45:28 -0500, Silvan
The McDonald's hamburger of fantasy fiction.
Funny and tasty while you're reading them, over too quickly and half an hour later you forget you've had it at all.
Then you look down and you've turned into a 25 stone comic-book otaku with a collection of Robert McRincewind action figures.
ObWoodworking: Anyone know how to plane sapient pearwood ? Damn stuff is refusing to get in the planer.
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 11:13:51 +0000, Andy Dingley

^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^
????????? Referring to McDonald's as tasty?!?!?!?!!!! Did you actually mean funny tasting instead? Was that a pune?

Where did you get it? JOAT was looking for some a few months ago.
"T." wrote:

"The Mote in God's Eye" is my favorite.

-- Tom Royer Lead Engineer, Software Test The MITRE Corporation 202 Burlington Road Bedford, MA 01730 Voice: (781) 271-8399 Cell: (978) 290-2086 FAX: (781) 271-8500 snipped-for-privacy@mitre.org
"If you're not free to fail, you're not free." --Gene Burns
In rec.woodworking

Good one!!
Tom Royer wrote:

Was that Niven/Pournelle or just Niven? I'm thinking Niven alone.
I haven't read that in well nigh forever, but it's a good'un. Most realistic space battles I can ever remember reading in anything.
The sequel was OK too, though I don't remember much more than the title. "The Gripping Hand."
Who wrote "Ringworld?" That was Niven too, wasn't it?