New To WW - What Is With All The Norm Bashing?

Page 3 of 6
Sort of hard to add to what JOAT said in summing up the general feeling on the Wreck. As has been pointed out Norm sparked interest in woodworking. He got started in the entertainment business by being a subcontractor on jobs for TOH. His background is that of carpenter rather than furniture maker or boat builder although he does an adequate job on these other areas. To compare his work with the likes of Sam Maloof would not be appropriate. Likewise, seeing a show on Sam Maloof would be very interesting, but could you imagine him doing a weekly TV show and gaining any ratings?
What annoys? Most of my life I've worked with pine. I'm just getting to where I can afford a little hardwood now and then. This last weekend I watched the rerun of Norms roll top desk. I enjoy this show because I've built a roll top in pine and would love to do one in oak like Norms. I cringe when I see him nail thru the lift bars on the tambour where the holes will be visible to everyone that looks at the piece. I know that a lot of this is driven by TV schedules and a lot is driven by Norm's background. As Roy pointed out, nail vs. clamps only, or maybe screws from the back. Another thing that annoys is his use of glue. I don't care how much he uses, but the fact that he gets away with it is annoying. Whether I wipe with a sponge, or let dry and scrape, I always end up with a white mark someplace that won't take finish.
So much for rambling. JOAT said it: "Norm is good, Roy is good, Bob is evil."
Gene

OK, I'll bite. Why is Bob evil?
Mike

On 09 Dec 2003, Coach Mike spake unto rec.woodworking:

    Bob is willing to shill any product for any advertiser willing to pay his fee. His personal integrity in this regard places him well below used car salesmen and real estate agents; but, to his credit, somewhat higher than personal injury lawyers.
    That doesn't make him evil, actually. Just beneath contempt.
Scott Cramer wrote:

He WAS a used car salesman. Don't you remember the lawsuit he got hit with for acting as a general contractor on that house out in California. It all came out when he was deposed. He never had a subcontractor license or any notable experience. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

So ignoring the tool pr0n for a moment, what does he make ? Does anyone ever look at that ?
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 15:14:05 GMT, Scott Cramer

Um... and Norm isn't? The New Yankee Workshop, brought to you by every tool Porter Cable could stuff into the shop? At least when you look at someone like David Marks, it's his shop, they're his tools, it's his wood and he isn't kissing any advertiser's ass.
Brian Henderson wrote:

Given that he covers up the labels on the tools...I would certainly not say he is kissing the advertisers' asses.
--
************************************
Chris Merrill

I saw a picture of Norms digs once, and it's nowhere near as elaborate. Much of what you see on the show is a persona created by Morash & Co.
Henry Bibb

Victory Gardenshow takes place.
Stll...I sure would love to have that shop! :o)
Terry
<<That's true. Located in Burlington, Vermont. Same place that the Victory Gardenshow takes place.>>
Burlington, VT is where you send for the New Yankee Workshop tapes. The shop itself is in the greater Boston area (Lexington, MA, I believe). It was also the site of the Victory Garden when Morash was producer of that show. But he hasn't been for the past two years and the Victory Garden now has all new personnel and a different location.
Lee

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 02:37:02 GMT, Chris Merrill

It isn't like you can't tell what every tool in the shop is, he only covers the labels because PBS requires it. And Porter Cable does an ad-shot before and after the show.
" It isn't like you can't tell what every tool in the shop is"
Wanna bet?
http://www.woodbutcher.net/norm.htm
I saw this on an earlier post.

As does any company that underwrites any show on PBS. Can't remember the last time I saw Norm pitching for PC on DIY, or HGTV. If I see one more poorly designed, chinese made, attempt at a tool being pushed by Bob Villa with a Craftsman logo.............well I don't know what I would do.........but it can't be nice. PBS exists through at least four money channels, organized charities and philanthropic organizations, government grants and subsidies, private donations and memberships, and lastly corporate underwriting on specific shows that allows the corporate entities to mention there name twice, once at the start of the show and once at the end. Let me ask you this, are you a member of your local PBS station? TV or Radio? And if not, why not. What has Sesame Street done to you, are you afraid of Mr. Rogers? Be careful or Marian Morash will come over and cook one of her horrendous dishes for you, and you will find Roger Swain taking up residence in your home.
All this with tongue planted firmly in cheek!!!
Dave

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:16:38 GMT, "David Babcock"

Terrified.
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm

::::::::::::::::
"When you make fun of someone washing his truck, that's sad." - Jeff Kent
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!
Brian Henderson wrote:

They are called 'sponsors'...and I would hardly equate that with "kissing and advertisers ass". Somebody has to pay for the shows?
Are you a regular donator to your local PBS station? If not, then shut your trap - you're getting something for nothing and if you don't like it, the rest of us don't care. If you think it's so easy to produce a good product that many people use but barely anyone pays for...then step up to the plate!
If you are (a donator), then surely you understand that the money for these shows must come from somewhere...and most people watch for free, but don't pay.
--
************************************
Chris Merrill
Brian Henderson wrote:

Actually, I don't watch it anymore (I don't get PBS and they pulled it off DIY/HGTV). So long as they air on PBS, they cannot do any direct advertising, it's against the PBS regulations.
Having family that works at WGBH in Boston, I was privileged? to get some of the dirt when he decided to leave TOH. Did I say leave? Actually it was kind of mutual, WGBH wanted him gone, and he wanted more money, so he was allowed to leave. As you can probably tell, he wanted Sears to be the exclusive supplier to the show, because they would compensate him personally. This sort of danced around the no commercials format of PBS. The contractors revolted a little, they didn't want to be told what tools they had to use. First ripple in the water. He wanted to be more in control of the format, the show, and force his ideas. Russ Morash is said to have laughed for days. Second larger ripple. Most of the supplies are donations, lumber, plumbing, windows, and on and on. All of which the home owner is responsible for come Tax time. As a home owner you have to sign over lots of creative and repair rights to the producers, who do their best to contain budget. The problem WGBH had with Bob was he consistently made choices/changes that most times caused budgets to explode, hence causing many many lawsuits. Ripples became tidal waves on this one. Then he said the two magic words, "Sears" and "Money" WGBH said "Goodbye Bob".
Dave

David Babcock wrote:

And what do you hear about the departure of Steve Thomas?
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

I suppose maybe you should ask him that question.
Personally I seem him as more as a big prick in itty-bitty pants. Evil would be if he actually had some influence. He's fairly benign but hard to stomach.
UA100