New to W/W:

Would one of you pro wood workers help me out? I am gluing up an L shaped table leg when I tighten my clamps the wood slips out of alignment. I ended up driving an finishing nail into one piece and cutting the head off at an sharp angle creating an sort of dog that will engage the other piece and hold it from sliding . Does this seem reasonable ? Help much appreciated.
Rey
Yes. The clipped finish nail is an old, reliable trick.

Reynaud wrote:

Is this a simple butt joint? Or is there any additional joinery involved to make the joint stronger?
Patriarch
On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 00:19:18 -0500, Patriarch

Does it count as a butt joint if it does not involve end grain? I've always considered face-to-edge, edge-to-edge, or face-to-face joints strong enough without additional joinery... though I sometimes use it for alignment.

Reynaud says...

That is an old and respected trick. Congratulations, you show resourcefulness, which is a vital trait for any craft. However, IMO butt joints without joinery are bad medicine, not just for strength, but for the very reason you describe. Pieces slide and glue fills the pores around the joint making ugly glue splotches when you do the finishing. A dowel in that joint would have made assembly a snap as well as giving you a much stronger joint.
Thank you all for the information . It is an simple butt joint. The

Rey
Thank you all for the information . It is an simple butt joint.

There will be a next time.
Most of us find things we could do better for the next project. Keep at it.
Patriarch
I have found that letting the glue set for a minute, rubbing it around when first put together will make it grab much better (especially on face glue-ups). also Clamping wood over the joint helps. Also, if you trust yourself, tiny nails or brads with the ends cut off after driving the tiny brads easily stick in the joint when clamping provided everything is lined up are a common practice especially with critical glue ups when no more cutting is needed like on electric guitar bodies. I use especially when trimming a plywood edge with 1/2 + thick hardwood. It can stll happen tho.