New to turning

Hello , I'm new to turning & I'm getting a space ready for my Nova lathe. I see Woodcraft is offering an 8 piece high-speed steel turning set for approx $150, reduced for $229. Anyone have experience with these? Would they be good tools or just a waste? I have no turning tools yet...
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.
Chris

Try asking over in rec.crafts.woodturning.
Thx,I'll try that

On Mon, 04 May 2009 12:39:24 -0400, Chris Fitzpatrick wrote:

Yes, they are a good set, but for just starting out you need to not only learn to turn, but learn to sharpen. Harbor Freight had, and may still have, a set of HSS tools for a lot less. They're not as good, and you may throw them out in disgust in a year or so, but in the meantime you won't worry as much about grinding off good chunk while learning to sharpen. And by then you'll know enough to go to Woodcraft and buy individual tools to suit your style/taste instead of a general purpose set.

Good advice. Besides, I like to use the cheapies to grind out custom shapes. It works out well and you're not worried about grinding down a hundred dollar tool.
--

-MIKE-

For less than $20 a tool, it's a good way to start..
At the $229 price, I'd buy elsewhere for a new turner.. As others have said, it's not the turning that uses up tools, it's the sharpening..
Hardest part for me was learning the difference between "grinding" and "sharpening", and until you do, learn sharpening on cheap chisels.. YMWV
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

As others have said, Harbor Freight's is a great set to learn on. I have a set, it's OK, and they are being replaced, slowly. But when you consider the price, a good value.