New To The Group

Page 1 of 2
Hello.
I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I need to be aware of?
Thanks.
Roy Welsandt
Roy Welsandt asks:

Well, as I recall hearing (and later yelling) coming down my first chow line at Parris Island, "You'll be soooooooooooooooooooorrrrrry!" But that only applies here if you fail to placate JOAT's woodworking gods.
You'll probably step on some toes as time passes. Sooner or later, you'll do so on purpose.
Otherwise, enjoy the stay. There's usually some good info here, and occasionally, some good camaradarie.
Charlie Self
We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom. Stephen Vincent Benet
I have found that common courtesy, consideration are always helpful. In addition there is a FAQ posted from time to time (and an anti-FAQ which is fun to read as well). http://www.robson.org/woodfaq / Most here are friendly, and many are VERY knowledgeable. Text only (no HTML or pictures) messages, <snipped> on long posts are helpful and serve to reduce "clutter" for others to wade through as they try to read replies to threads. Watch for the trolls (Don't feed the trolls <G>), maintain a sense of humor and you will find the "Rec" to be rewarding and informative place to increase your woodworking skills. Tom

<snip>> Roy Welsandt

strictly speaking, a troll; however, his advice on most topics should perhaps be taken with a grain or two of salt, and under NO circumstances should you EVER follow his advice on anything dealing with electricity.
You will soon see that there is a diversity of political opinion in the group, and several of us at various points on the spectrum hold our opinions strongly and have no hesitation at expressing them. If you are politically conservative, you may find yourself annoyed from time to time with Charlie Self. Charlie is NOT a troll. His woodworking advice is of great value, and it would be a HUGE mistake to killfile him because of a disagreement over politics.
Welcome aboard, Roy. Basically, don't post in HTML, no pictures, don't try and spam or sell anything, keep a sense of humor, remember that Larry J does *not* have a "C" in his name, always use Minwax when staining and ESPECIALLY when you go to apply a high gloss coat of poly on your cherry - and above all - share what you know with the rest of the class. :-) You'll see the FAQ posted from time to time. Take a couple of minutes to give it a gander - post away.
Keep a sense of humor - it helps us get by with the trolls (that you're not allowed to feed.)
Have a great time - and BTW - it's your turn to buy the beer.
Jim Mc Namara a.k.a. Jums, Jummy, Minwax Mac

Thu, Jul 17, 2003, 4:09pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@flash.net (JimMcNamara) <snip> remember that Larry J does *not* have a "C" in his name, <snip>
Are you trying to tell us there is a "k"?
JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 16 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
And watch out for JOAT. He drinks beer with his pants off. If anybody else even suggests doing that, the wreckers jump down your throat.
trust me on this one.
-JBB
(Jim Mc Namara) <snip> remember that Larry J does *not* have a "C" in his name, <snip>
Are you trying to tell us there is a "k"?
JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 16 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
And wathch out for the starfish logo on wood from Australia.
Glen
(Jim Mc Namara)

Roy Welsandt wrote:

Why, yes. As the official treasurer of this august body, I am authorized to collect your membership fee. Please send $29.73 to:
M. Schnerd, RN 222 South Herlong Avenue, Dept 4B Rock Hill, SC 29732
We accept cash, MasterCard, Visa, and Diner's Club. Welcome to the group.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.BARF
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:32:14 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
...reimburse me $712.42 US for the Oreos <tm> I brought to last night's meeting.
You didn't get any? Sorry, they were really there. Promise. Gotta get to 'em quick 'fore charlieb gets to 'em. He's frickin' addicted.
$712.42. E-mail me for the address. I got a receipt.
Michael Baglio Chapel Hill
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 01:56:25 +0000, Michael Baglio wrote:

Am I the only one that's a little scared that you have a receipt for over 700 dollars worth of Oreos?
Cheers,
Andy

<snip snip>

nuts...) ;>
Oh never mind - I thought I was reading something else that Andy does with his Oreos . . . .
:-)
Jums
Well if you are the treasurer, I want to complain that the drill guide I received for my dues doesn't work very well for spreading Gorilla Glue. The Handyman of America drill guide is much better.
Steve P.

Wait a minute - that's a sexist remark - the wreck is a unisex group
vgb

I'm beginning to wonder if the OP has read all this and has hauled ass to a better place! ROTFLMAO!
Jums

Great line Morty!
I didn't see the following in the above posts: the newsgroups for binaries and html are alt.binaries.pictures.furniture and alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking aka abpf and abpw respectively. Be nice to JOAT (he is case sensitive), Charlie, and Jums as they are aging and inclined to be cranky. Stay tuned for the Groggy and Traves "Squarewanger" (or whatever he is this week) show. Send $.25 to yr hmbl srvnt whenever I post a stupid joke (tradition is almost as important as greed (think I read that somewhere)).
Anyway, welcome and enjoy.
    mahalo,     jo4hn
Roy Welsandt wrote:

"jo4hn" wrote in message that I snipped all to hell and commented:

Who the hell are you calling cranky? Hell son - what *I* heard was the last time you got laid . . .
scroll down . . .
come on boy - a little farther
oh hell - what's the matter jo4hn - can't ya keep up with a cranky old man . . . ?
The last time you got laid . . . it was with a necklace made from flowers!
Maholo and LOL!
Jums :-)

Now you tell us, sorry about the other day JOAT! {blame joAhn} ;)
Take Care, Gnube I don't want to win the lottery I just want to win a barn full of seasoned timber! ;O)
Thu, Jul 17, 2003, 9:58am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@isd.net (RoyWelsandt) asks: I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I need to be aware of?
As Charlie mentioned, a small contribution to the Woodworking Gods is always appropriate. As their High Priest, I handle all administrative details, do NOT attempt a sacrifice at home. A small brunette would work just fine.