New To The Group

Hello.

I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I need to be aware of?

Thanks.

Roy Welsandt

Reply to
Roy Welsandt

Roy Welsandt asks:

Well, as I recall hearing (and later yelling) coming down my first chow line at Parris Island, "You'll be soooooooooooooooooooorrrrrry!" But that only applies here if you fail to placate JOAT's woodworking gods.

You'll probably step on some toes as time passes. Sooner or later, you'll do so on purpose.

Otherwise, enjoy the stay. There's usually some good info here, and occasionally, some good camaradarie.

Charlie Self

We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom. Stephen Vincent Benet

Reply to
Charlie Self

I have found that common courtesy, consideration are always helpful. In addition there is a FAQ posted from time to time (and an anti-FAQ which is fun to read as well).

here are friendly, and many are VERY knowledgeable. Text only (no HTML or pictures) messages, on long posts are helpful and serve to reduce "clutter" for others to wade through as they try to read replies to threads. Watch for the trolls (Don't feed the trolls ), maintain a sense of humor and you will find the "Rec" to be rewarding and informative place to increase your woodworking skills. Tom

Reply to
noone

Welcome aboard, Roy. Basically, don't post in HTML, no pictures, don't try and spam or sell anything, keep a sense of humor, remember that Larry J does *not* have a "C" in his name, always use Minwax when staining and ESPECIALLY when you go to apply a high gloss coat of poly on your cherry - and above all - share what you know with the rest of the class. :-) You'll see the FAQ posted from time to time. Take a couple of minutes to give it a gander - post away.

Keep a sense of humor - it helps us get by with the trolls (that you're not allowed to feed.)

Have a great time - and BTW - it's your turn to buy the beer.

Jim Mc Namara a.k.a. Jums, Jummy, Minwax Mac

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Why, yes. As the official treasurer of this august body, I am authorized to collect your membership fee. Please send $29.73 to:

M. Schnerd, RN

222 South Herlong Avenue, Dept 4B Rock Hill, SC 29732

We accept cash, MasterCard, Visa, and Diner's Club. Welcome to the group.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I didn't see the following in the above posts: the newsgroups for binaries and html are alt.binaries.pictures.furniture and alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking aka abpf and abpw respectively. Be nice to JOAT (he is case sensitive), Charlie, and Jums as they are aging and inclined to be cranky. Stay tuned for the Groggy and Traves "Squarewanger" (or whatever he is this week) show. Send $.25 to yr hmbl srvnt whenever I post a stupid joke (tradition is almost as important as greed (think I read that somewhere)).

Anyway, welcome and enjoy.

mahalo, jo4hn

Roy Welsandt wrote:

Reply to
jo4hn

Thu, Jul 17, 2003, 9:58am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@isd.net (Roy=A0Welsandt) asks: I am new to the group. Are there any special conventions and protocols I need to be aware of?

As Charlie mentioned, a small contribution to the Woodworking Gods is always appropriate. As their High Priest, I handle all administrative details, do NOT attempt a sacrifice at home. A small brunette would work just fine.

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 16 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Thu, Jul 17, 2003, 4:09pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@flash.net (Jim=A0Mc=A0Namara) remember that Larry J does *not* have a "C" in his name,

Are you trying to tell us there is a "k"?

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 16 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Who the hell are you calling cranky? Hell son - what *I* heard was the last time you got laid . . .

scroll down . . .

come on boy - a little farther

oh hell - what's the matter jo4hn - can't ya keep up with a cranky old man . . . ?

The last time you got laid . . . it was with a necklace made from flowers!

Maholo and LOL!

Jums :-)

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Welcome to the group. Pull up a chair and sit a spell.

Some known trolls to avoid are:

Al Kyder, whose posts are usually off-topic and frequently offensive;

Puppy Wizard, whose posts are always off-topic and always offensive;

Cass ( snipped-for-privacy@galaxycorp.com), who cross-posts *everything* to alt.rv and similar groups that are totally unrelated to woodworking, and somehow manages to manufacture an argument in every thread s/he has ever posted to;

Woodworker Joe aka Woody Woodpecker ( snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net), who is not, strictly speaking, a troll; however, his advice on most topics should perhaps be taken with a grain or two of salt, and under NO circumstances should you EVER follow his advice on anything dealing with electricity.

You will soon see that there is a diversity of political opinion in the group, and several of us at various points on the spectrum hold our opinions strongly and have no hesitation at expressing them. If you are politically conservative, you may find yourself annoyed from time to time with Charlie Self. Charlie is NOT a troll. His woodworking advice is of great value, and it would be a HUGE mistake to killfile him because of a disagreement over politics.

Doug Miller

Not really. I've been drifting in and out of here for years, though I don't spend enough time in a "drifted in" state to be considered a "regular."

The main thing you need to grok wreck wood is an understanding of some of the lingo. There's probably a FAQ somewhere, or you can just hang out until you figure out what everybody's talking about.

So just relax and have fun, and for pity's sake, stay away from any threads that have some permutation of "sawstop" in the subject. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Welcome. Most people have already posted good advice. Although I would argue that you can sell things in this group as long as it's your old 6" jointer you're selling because you moved up to a dj-20. It's the people running a business and flogging their wares on a daily basis (except for steve knight) that annoy people.

Please read the FAQ and visit groups.google.com before...

asking which tablesaw you should buy asking which jointer you should buy asking whether you need a jointer or a planer more asking why everyone hates poly asking if a woodworker 2 is worth the money buying a drill press mortising attachment buying any router with a 1/4" collet and most importantly, buying anything from sears.

brian

Reply to
brian lanning

Never believe anything Ernie says.

-- Ernie

Reply to
Ernie Jurick

You know, the sad thing is I can't even say I've gotten *that* close to getting laid lately.

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
Steven Bliss

Thu, Jul 17, 2003, 6:38pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) asks: That actually work for you? Do people usually send you pretty ones?

Works for me. But most people don't sent along any sacrifice at all. Then just cannot understand why they had kickback, their saw motor burned up, tools got rusty, etc.

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 16 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Now you tell us, sorry about the other day JOAT! {blame joAhn} ;)

Take Care, Gnube I don't want to win the lottery I just want to win a barn full of seasoned timber! ;O)

Reply to
Gnube

...reimburse me $712.42 US for the Oreos I brought to last night's meeting.

You didn't get any? Sorry, they were really there. Promise. Gotta get to 'em quick 'fore charlieb gets to 'em. He's frickin' addicted.

$712.42. E-mail me for the address. I got a receipt.

Michael Baglio Chapel Hill

Reply to
Michael Baglio

And watch out for JOAT. He drinks beer with his pants off. If anybody else even suggests doing that, the wreckers jump down your throat.

trust me on this one.

-JBB

Are you trying to tell us there is a "k"?

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 16 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

J.B. Bobbitt

Reply to
bentcajungirl